Rock Razor vs Moto X tires

Does anyone have experience with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB HS 468 https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/marathon_plus_mtb
Looking to replace the Rock Razor

If you are looking for tires for your new Nevo GH, I can recommend the Marathon Mondial HS 428. I put them on my Homage for the winter last month and am quite pleased. They have great durability ratings, good rolling resistance stats and are rated and actually perform quite nicely on boat pavement and trail. I have not ridden on the Marathon + MTBs but I can heartily recommend the Mondials for a Nevo or an Homage.

The only minus in comparison with the Marathon Supremes (which are a road tire an not very good on trails at all) is they do have greater rolling resistance, better than any knobby MTB tire, but still more than the Supremes that I run in the summer, which are quiet, give me max range and at really grippy on pavement. The symptoms of greater resistance with the Mondials are a bit more noise and a decrease of about 5 miles or so on battery range and maybe 2 mph in speed. For winter grip and safety, a worthwhile trade off.

I have not tried the Marathon plus MTB or the Rock Razors, but what is it that you do not like about the Rock Razors?

Does anyone have experience with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB HS 468 https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/marathon_plus_mtb
Looking to replace the Rock Razor
I've had one (57-584) on the front for a few months now although not rated with the ECE-R75 mark. It's been great on my 40mm rim. Corners on bitumen very well and is quiet too. Haven't done much offroad yet but what i have done was good.
This guys used Mondials and now Marathon Plus MTB's, this is a video of him with the MTB's.

I wonder if Schwalbe has had to change their tires at all to get the ECE-R75 mark or just extra testing.

I have not tried the Marathon plus MTB or the Rock Razors, but what is it that you do not like about the Rock Razors?
The durability and protection Marathon Plus is much higher rated. The new bike with the Rock Razor tires is in the shop getting ready for delivery after a few modifications. Originally I requested the Super Moto X tires but still locking at other options.

I've had one (57-584) on the front for a few months now although not rated with the ECE-R75 mark. It's been great on my 40mm rim. Corners on bitumen very well and is quiet too. Haven't done much offroad yet but what i have done was good.
This guys used Mondials and now Marathon Plus MTB's, this is a video of him with the MTB's.
What tire do you have for the rear and on what bike.

my bike came with the SuperMoto X . I would think they would be perfectly fine for street use in Southern California. The Marathon Mondials that Alaskan mentioned would be really excellent for your bike since they have the highest flat protection and a tread pattern that is super versatile. I thnk the SuperMotoX have a 5 rating on flat protection and the Mondials are at 7 . Here in Raincouver I want some knobs for the wet trails and hills so in the spring I will switch to Smart Sam plus which also have a 7 rating flat protection and are slightly knobby ,but still roll well on asphalt.

my bike came with the SuperMoto X . I would think they would be perfectly fine for street use in Southern California. The Marathon Mondials that Alaskan mentioned would be really excellent for your bike since they have the highest flat protection and a tread pattern that is super versatile. I thnk the SuperMotoX have a 5 rating on flat protection and the Mondials are at 7 . Here in Raincouver I want some knobs for the wet trails and hills so in the spring I will switch to Smart Sam plus which also have a 7 rating flat protection and are slightly knobby ,but still roll well on asphalt.
The Mondial looks like a great tire but does not come in a wider width. In winter it rains (hopefully)along the central coast making the fire roads slippery. I had super Moto X tires on a Nevo last winter and they had some problems in the hills and along the sometimes sand swept coastal trails.

What tire do you have for the rear and on what bike.
R&M Supercharger GX Rohloff, at the moment a Super Moto-x (nice cushion and weight handling but a bit slippery for my liking), previously had a Marathon Mondial (50mm) for a while and no problem but i convinced myself that it would not be safe with my 40mm rims. Just about to get another Marathon Plus MTB (57mm) for the rear after i do a few thousand km more on the Moto-X.

Last edited:
All 3 you mentioned: Super Moto-X, Marathon Mondial, Smart Sam Plus have the same Schwalbe protection rating of 6, it is only the Marathon Plus (including the Marathon Plus MTB) that have a Schwalbe protection rating of 7.

So back to the original question, no one seems to have high regard for the Rock Razor so why did R&M select this tire for the Rohloff Nevo and Homage?

Granted their ratings are somewhat confusing since they seem to have 3 different ways of ranking flat protection. One thing appears clear, they do designate the MARATHON PLUS MTB HS 468 as having their highest level of protection .

Last edited:
Granted their ratings are somewhat confusing since they seem to have 3 different ways of ranking flat protection. One thing appears clear, they do designate the MARATHON PLUS MTB HS 468 as having their highest level of protection .
True, Greenguard, Raceguard, HS 468 vs older non rated HS, North American site vs European site.

So back to the original question, no one seems to have high regard for the Rock Razor so why did R&M select this tire for the Rohloff Nevo and Homage?
Because it's a safe all-round tire with good rolling characteristics whilst lacking durability and protection? And just like saddles and pedals they figure everyone has different needs and will likely change them anyway?

Smart Sams 65-584 are now installed, did a quick test on the road and found them not loud.

Off road test will follow, right now it is raining every day and quite cold.

Hi there,

we had very good weather the last days, unusually warm with up to 15C in my place, although in some shadowy spots we still have remains of the snow from two, three weeks ago. Anyway did my first tour of this year. 44km with the first 34km being flat or descending all on tarmac and the last 10km mixed gravel and forrest roads and some single tracks which were still so muddy that I had to walk and push the bike. 700m difference in altitude most of that on the last 10km with up to 14% gradient angle.

Smart Sams handled everything perfect, except for the mud, which was just too much/deep. No significant noise increase on tarmac vs. the Super Motos. I have the impression that the rolling resistance is slightely higher but close to unnoticable. They are much better in the forrest and on gravel, but nothing for (deep) mud.

There was one ramp where the Nuvinci/Bosch CX tandem was at the limit, not so much because I could not spin anymore, but rather as the whole bike was prancing like a horse (maybe I have to work on my technique).

So far I am happy with my decision.

Hi there,

we had very good weather the last days, unusually warm with up to 15C in my place, although in some shadowy spots we still have remains of the snow from two, three weeks ago. Anyway did my first tour of this year. 44km with the first 34km being flat or descending all on tarmac and the last 10km mixed gravel and forrest roads and some single tracks which were still so muddy that I had to walk and push the bike. 700m difference in altitude most of that on the last 10km with up to 14% gradient angle.

Smart Sams handled everything perfect, except for the mud, which was just too much/deep. No significant noise increase on tarmac vs. the Super Motos. I have the impression that the rolling resistance is slightely higher but close to unnoticable. They are much better in the forrest and on gravel, but nothing for (deep) mud.

There was one ramp where the Nuvinci/Bosch CX tandem was at the limit, not so much because I could not spin anymore, but rather as the whole bike was prancing like a horse (maybe I have to work on my technique).

So far I am happy with my decision.
Well written review DonGod. I feel that the Smart Sams are a good compromise sitting nicely between the Super Moto X top rolling resistance ,and the Magic Mary super mud grip . Here at the 49th parallel I plan to ride Mary until spring then flip to Sam. I would only consider using the Super Moto X in full summer. Likewise I would only use the Ice Spikers in the dead of frozen Winter. That is 4 sets of tires I have acquired now ! If I had to stick to a single set all year based on money, it would be the Sams. Based on range it would be Super Moto X and stay off the bike in bad weather. Based on grip it would be Mary . If money is no object I would ride Magic Marys exclusively and simply replace them frequently and carry a spare battery.

HI all , a general question aimed at those folks who have a R&M super charger gx running super moto X tyres and are long distance road touring , what is your ideal tyre pressure front and back ?

cheers

HI all , a general question aimed at those folks who have a R&M super charger gx running super moto X tyres and are long distance road touring , what is your ideal tyre pressure front and back ?

cheers
I have the Nevo GX Rohloff, I ride between 50 and 65 miles per day with panniers loaded to around 30 pounds and I weight 190 pounds. The bike came with Rock Razor tires that I had changed to Super Moto x. The front tire is set to 45 psi and the rear to 55 psi.

Back