Roadster V2 Belt snapped

Ute4492

Bike has about 2500 miles. I have the Kirkit tool and have maintained the proper tension.
Today out for a short spin and the belt came off. I was about 2 miles from home on a bike trail completely flat when the belt came apart.
Anyone else have their belt fail? If so how many miles?
Just wondering if this is about how long the belts should last.
I will contact Ride1up to see if they sell a replacement. Didn't see one on the website.

Attachments

• v2 belt.jpg
    v2 belt.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 172
Bike has about 2500 miles. I have the Kirkit tool and have maintained the proper tension.
Today out for a short spin and the belt came off. I was about 2 miles from home on a bike trail completely flat when the belt came apart.
I will contact Ride1up to see if they sell a replacement. Didn't see one on the website.
Oh wow, I'm at 4000 miles, nothing yet. Hope parts are easy to come by. Please keep use informed. Good luck

Oh wow, I'm at 4000 miles, nothing yet. Hope parts are easy to come by. Please keep use informed. Good luck
Was able to order a replacement from Ride1up. $63.00 with shipping. Should be here Thursday.
Thinking the premature break is my fault. Couldn't get the silicone spray they recommended and used another brand. Will stay with the recommended spray going forward.
Just an FYI if your belt happens to break and you are far from home. No need to walk or call for a ride. Simply get on the bike set the assist level to 3 or 4 and start pedaling the the cadence kicks in and the bike will propel itself.

Was able to order a replacement from Ride1up. $63.00 with shipping. Should be here Thursday.
Thinking the premature break is my fault. Couldn't get the silicone spray they recommended and used another brand. Will stay with the recommended spray going forward.
Just an FYI if your belt happens to break and you are far from home. No need to walk or call for a ride. Simply get on the bike set the assist level to 3 or 4 and start pedaling the the cadence kicks in and the bike will propel itself.
Thanks for the update

Why does a belt need lubrication? The picture isn't really clear, but the rubber edges seem fuzzy. Could easily be the spray you used. What was it? Gates says their belts last 19,000 with no lubricatioin required. If the belt squeaks, the tension is wrong. What did you do to set the tension? To get the cord to snap, it sure saw a lot of tension! https://www.ternbicycles.com/en/support/kb/348027/how-clean-and-maintain-your-bike-s-belt
Ride1up recommends CRC heavy duty silicone spray. Used a silicone spray called blaster 16 sl industrial strength. Only because I couldn't get the CRC brand.
I agree this could have been the issue. The rubber seems to be soft.
These are not gates carbon fiber belts. Brand is Top trans.
Belt never squeaked. Only problem was jumping a tooth on hard pressure. I used the kirkit tool to set tension. Tension was set to Ride1up specs.

I will bet the Blaster has some petroleum aerosols. Blaster is know for making penetrating oil spray for rusty bolts. DOT 5 (not 5.1) is pure silicone. It restores rubber amazingly well. All belts will squeak with oxidation, exposure and dust. A little silicone does the trick.

I will bet the Blaster has some petroleum aerosols. Blaster is know for making penetrating oil spray for rusty bolts. DOT 5 (not 5.1) is pure silicone. It restores rubber amazingly well. All belts will squeak with oxidation, exposure and dust. A little silicone does the trick.
I would agree. Quite sure the product I used caused the premature failure. The next belt will not get any lube.

Yes, also had mine fail (see my other post in the Roadster belt adjustment thread), but likely my fault for overstressing it. Lots of hill and mountain climbing. Many hill climbs with motor off, most with lowest assist level, and many with full assist and maximum human leg and arm strength effort to sometimes even (unofficially) beat Strava KOM hill climb results by pro racers 😀.

Belt came apart after 1 year, ~5000 miles and ~ 300,000 feet of altitude gained. Can't really complain. Most of my rides are with high pressure on the crank/belt, and low assist. I sometimes used silicone spray, and kept torque at 45-50 lbs with Kricket tool. With the extra battery, rear rack, food, and 64 ounces of water, fully loaded 45 lbs. Under "normal" use, my guess is that it would last closer to 10,000 miles. This has been the best bike of any kind, I've ever owned. Joy every time I ride it.

Yes, also had mine fail (see my other post in the Roadster belt adjustment thread), but likely my fault for overstressing it. Lots of hill and mountain climbing. Many hill climbs with motor off, most with lowest assist level, and many with full assist and maximum human leg and arm strength effort to sometimes even (unofficially) beat Strava KOM hill climb results by pro racers 😀.

Belt came apart after 1 year, ~5000 miles and ~ 300,000 feet of altitude gained. Can't really complain. Most of my rides are with high pressure on the crank/belt, and low assist. I sometimes used silicone spray, and kept torque at 45-50 lbs with Kricket tool. With the extra battery, rear rack, food, and 64 ounces of water, fully loaded 45 lbs. Under "normal" use, my guess is that it would last closer to 10,000 miles. This has been the best bike of any kind, I've ever owned. Joy every time I ride it.
Did you have any belt slippage during the hill climbs? How often did you apply silicone to the belt?
Thanks

As a former motorcycle rider, I have seen this happen with belts due to a rock getting in between the sprocket and the belt.

As a former motorcycle rider, I have seen this happen with belts due to a rock getting in between the sprocket and the belt.
That it also how those very expensive teeth on the cogs snap off.

Did you have any belt slippage during the hill climbs? How often did you apply silicone to the belt?
Thanks
Very rarely have belt slippage, if set at 45-50 lbs torque. I even climbed a small section of 20% grade (but it was really, really tough) with full assist and maximum effort, and almost came to a stop ...but able to muscle through it, and without a belt slip.

And as long as the belt is clean, didn't spray slicone often either. Really just during the first few hundred miles, as I was adjusting torque and quieting a small squeak. Otherwise, guessing I might spray every 1000 miles or so?

l had some belt slippage during hill climbs at 4500+ miles, but it must have been the belt starting to fail, and I shouldn't have ignored it? I have to think it's because I try to climb hills standing up with low assist or sometimes motor off.

p.s.- good point about still being able to get motion by spinning, even if belt broke. Another positive for having a cadence sensor instead of a torque sensor!

Last edited:
Very rarely have belt slippage, if set at 45-50 lbs torque. I even climbed a small section of 20% grade (but it was really, really tough) with full assist and maximum effort, and almost came to a stop ...but able to muscle through it, and without a belt slip.

And as long as the belt is clean, didn't spray slicone often either. Really just during the first few hundred miles, as I was adjusting torque and quieting a small squeak. Otherwise, guessing I might spray every 1000 miles or so?

l had some belt slippage during hill climbs at 4500+ miles, but it must have been the belt starting to fail, and I shouldn't have ignored it? I have to think it's because I try to climb hills standing up with low assist or sometimes motor off.

p.s.- good point about still being able to get motion by spinning, even if belt broke. Another positive for having a cadence sensor instead of a torque sensor!
Thanks for the info.

Is your belt still skipping Ute4492? Did it come with a snubber? Many early ones did not come with it. You can get one from Ride1Up if it is still skipping

Simply get on the bike set the assist level to 3 or 4 and start pedaling the the cadence kicks in and the bike will propel itself.

That must have been a really odd experience. :)

Is your belt still skipping Ute4492? Did it come with a snubber? Many early ones did not come with it. You can get one from Ride1Up if it is still skipping
The new belt is not skipping. Bike did not come with a snubber. Have never seen one on the Ride1up site. Have to go check. Might be a good add on.

The new belt is not skipping. Bike did not come with a snubber. Have never seen one on the Ride1up site. Have to go check. Might be a good add on.
Just checked their website for a snubber. Couldn't find one. Do you have a link?
Thanks

Back