Roadster V2 Belt snapped

Is your belt still skipping Ute4492? Did it come with a snubber? Many early ones did not come with it. You can get one from Ride1Up if it is still skipping
Are you talking about the Roadster Gravel with Gates belt, rather than the regular Roadster with TopTrans belt? Or does it not matter?

Are you talking about the Roadster Gravel with Gates belt, rather than the regular Roadster with TopTrans belt? Or does it not matter?
My neighbor very recently got a new regular Roadster (his 1st one was stolen) and the new one has the snubber on it.

Reactions: PSm
Here you go - don't know why they're loading this way, but you get the idea. My neighbor did have skipping on his original Roadster. So far not on this one. I have not had that issue on either the regular Roadster or the gravel and I ride some pretty good grades (though not to PSm's standard). But I weight 150#'s where my neighbor is over 200.

Attachments

• tempImageL98w2e.png
    tempImageL98w2e.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 237
  • tempImage19KY3v.png
    tempImage19KY3v.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 229
Reactions: PSm
Here you go - don't know why they're loading this way, but you get the idea. My neighbor did have skipping on his original Roadster. So far not on this one. I have not had that issue on either the regular Roadster or the gravel and I ride some pretty good grades (though not to PSm's standard). But I weight 150#'s where my neighbor is over 200.
Thanks for posting the pictures. Seems like it would be a simple install.
I have an inquiry with Ride1up about availability.
I weigh 195. Maybe us heavier riders are a bit much for the belts.
Thanks again.

Will look forward to hearing what you find out regarding availability.

Only other thing I can think of, is whether you are smooth in spinning the cranks? Jerky pedaling may increase the chance of slipping. And actually I also started breaking some rear spokes when really cranking, but after focusing on smooth spinning, haven’t had broken spokes in a long time.

Also, make sure that the belt isn’t too far to the left or right, so it doesn’t rub the side of the crankset teeth. Doesn’t have to be exactly centered, but just not rubbing the sides.

Had a minor belt squeak last week, but re-adjusted and silicone sprayed (may have been dirty/dusty, from road conditions), and back to quiet.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is really a performance difference between the Gates belt on the Gravelster and the Top Trans or whatever the Roadster uses?

I wonder if there is really a performance difference between the Gates belt on the Gravelster and the Top Trans or whatever the Roadster uses?
I wondered that too. When I asked Ride1UP support, they said that there wasn’t a direct size replacement Gates belt for the Roadster TopTrans belt size. They said it would require some mods to the bike, so I gave up on that idea.

Will look forward to hearing what you find out regarding availability.

Only other thing I can think of, is whether you are smooth in spinning the cranks? Jerky pedaling may increase the chance of slipping. And actually I also started breaking some rear spokes when really cranking, but after focusing on smooth spinning, haven’t had broken spokes in a long time.

Also, make sure that the belt isn’t too far to the left or right, so it doesn’t rub the side of the crankset teeth. Doesn’t have to be exactly centered, but just not rubbing the sides.

Had a minor belt squeak last week, but re-adjusted and silicone sprayed (may have been dirty/dusty, from road conditions), and back to quiet.
Just received a reply from Ride1up. They are not for sale yet.
He asked if I was having problems with the belt skipping. I explained what was happening.
He asked for my address and said they would ship one to me.
Very generous offer from Ride1up.

Bumping this up because I found this thread looking for belt replacement options for the normal Ride1Up Roadster (non-gravel, TopTrans belt) and couldn't find much written on it. I ended up going with a Gates CDN 118T belt, which is the closest match to the stock belt.
Specs:
Stock: Top Trans Belt - 11M-1287mm x 12mm (117 teeth by my count)
Gates: 11M-118T-12CTS 1298mm

Gates also makes higher performance/durability versions that cost more. The CDN is about $50. You can order from various online bike retailers or probably your local bike shop.
  • CDX: High performance commuting, trekking, mountain & cargo bikes & eBikes, and extreme conditions
  • CDC: City commuting, mid-motor eBikes (50Nm or less)
  • CDN: Hub-motor eBikes
  • ST: Recreational riding (3 speeds or less)

At the same price as a stock replacement from Ride1Up, I think switching to the Gates is a no brainer as they have a much better reputation for durability. Definitely worth a try for the few people I've seen mention breaking multiple belts (even upgrade to the Gates CDX belt).

My stock belt didn't actually snap, by the way. Instead, the teeth were starting to rip off the belt, causing increasingly more and more skipping, regardless of belt tension. It was not obvious this was happening until I actually removed the old belt and examined it closely. Something to watch out for.

Thanks for this info, using as a daily comuter, about 20 miles a day, its been skipping and skeaking past few days, at over 7000 miles, i stopped reseting the counter, its time soon to get the extra one now.

Bumping this up because I found this thread looking for belt replacement options for the normal Ride1Up Roadster (non-gravel, TopTrans belt) and couldn't find much written on it. I ended up going with a Gates CDN 118T belt, which is the closest match to the stock belt.
Specs:
Stock: Top Trans Belt - 11M-1287mm x 12mm (117 teeth by my count)
Gates: 11M-118T-12CTS 1298mm

Gates also makes higher performance/durability versions that cost more. The CDN is about $50. You can order from various online bike retailers or probably your local bike shop.
  • CDX: High performance commuting, trekking, mountain & cargo bikes & eBikes, and extreme conditions
  • CDC: City commuting, mid-motor eBikes (50Nm or less)
  • CDN: Hub-motor eBikes
  • ST: Recreational riding (3 speeds or less)

At the same price as a stock replacement from Ride1Up, I think switching to the Gates is a no brainer as they have a much better reputation for durability. Definitely worth a try for the few people I've seen mention breaking multiple belts (even upgrade to the Gates CDX belt).

My stock belt didn't actually snap, by the way. Instead, the teeth were starting to rip off the belt, causing increasingly more and more skipping, regardless of belt tension. It was not obvious this was happening until I actually removed the old belt and examined it closely. Something to watch out for.
where did you order, some places said out of stock, i dont trust some etailers, they only suppose to charge you when it ships, not on backordered items

where did you order, some places said out of stock, i dont trust some etailers, they only suppose to charge you when it ships, not on backordered items
You can order the 118 CDN ($49.99) or the CDX ($89.99) from Priority Bikes. Plus some shipping I think. CDN is in stock (didn't look at the CDX).

Nathanael have you installed the belt? The Gates belts have the center track. So it fits the V2's chainring/cog?

Last edited:
I ordered the CDN from thebikehub.com and it arrived quickly. It fits the v2 no problem. The center track in the belt doesn’t really impact anything. Now I get no skipping with much less belt tension.
I also think you could probably get away with swapping the front sprocket to Gates while you’re at it if you wanted to lower the gearing. Would have to use the website to figure out the new belt length.

You can order the 118 CDN ($49.99) or the CDX ($89.99) from Priority Bikes. Plus some shipping I think. CDN is in stock (didn't look at the CDX).

Nathanael have you installed the belt? The Gates belts have the center track. So it fits the V2's chainring/cog?
Just ordered it, thanks. im glad they have the option to use amazon retail sign in, all my info was there.

Back