Al, many thanks! I've long been convinced that there is not one particular component, one particular tire, anything and everything including riding styles that is a fit-one/fits all standard. That's why I'll pretty much stay away from those threads asking advice about what saddle or grip works best.Similar priority here (maximizing the miles per charge), but I have a WAY different take on what works best for ME. I use the lowest amount of power possible to maintain my chosen cadence at my chosen speed, usually PAS 1 (of 5) and 10-14mph. If I'm feeling strained, or just flat pooped, that when PAS 2 is used. Rarely will I need to go higher than that.
I do get there's very likely a big difference in our level of fitness, and almost surely your chosen cadence is going to be higher than anything I would be able to maintain. Then there's the big difference in the rolling resistance between our chosen bike styles. But good lord, 92 miles? That's pretty much double the number I get when out on any of mine, while using a smaller battery..... Pretty impressive Mike! -Al
About that one 92 ride: In the end, I was using minimal power levels on the Yamaha and hardly any appreciable time spent in the high power setting. That made for a nice run in that it was great to be out there; but I was out there pedaling a 60 some odd pound tank. Not much fun in that and what it did was convince me to splurge on an extra 500wh battery. So that brought my ideal closer of running exclusively in High Power on any long distance run over 25 miles.
But having that great power and the extra battery is like eating a good potato chip. If one extra 500wh battery is great; 2 can only be betterer!
And if two is betterer, having a 3rd 500wh battery to complement the original 400 is, well.....the bestest!
Last early spring I inquired of a 745wh battery from Germany. It seems that finally someone in the biz has a way to bring that battery into the US. 400 + 1500 + 745 opens up the potential for about 150 miles of riding in the High power setting, over 200 in the lessor. And the mind boggles, at least this one does.
Some ride pics.....
This was taken at my turn-around point, Delaware & Raritan Canal state park in Milford, NJ. The red clay dusting the bike was from riding the Delaware and Lehigh canal towpath on the opposite side of the Delaware, in Pennsylvania. This is my old setup; bikepacking bag in the rear and front rack and bag for other items. Some 45 plus miles in the ride, a single 400wh battery, conserving power by using a combo of Eco/Eco+/Standard and a wee bit of run time in all-out High.
Done in July, I had alot of daylight to do this daytrip. 95.4 miles.....
With 18% battery charge remaining. 95 miles using 82% battery charge. Not bad.
At the expense of not frying my battery charge to near 0; I ended up dehydrating and frying myself! But that's just part of the fun within this ebike game we play!