Review: New LMT'D - new owner's perspective

Imho I have been on ebikes since 2011, buy the most you are comfortable spending, value and quality are not cheap but worth it especially the more you use the product. I wanted local service or I would be on this bike after the sensor fix, maybe before but definitely now for the money. You could buy 2 bikes for the price I paid for my 1. alternate daily on the bikes and take both batterries with you. You can go over 30 mph and I wish my new bike was hub drive, which is a better choice I think for my riding rails to trails

Last edited:
I agree . That's how it works. First I was looking at the Core5 then I liked the idea of the front suspension fork, better derailleurs, tires, battery, hydraulic brakes etc.. " hey it's only a few hundred more"... I'm just saying that for me the 700 has some things over the 500 that's worth it but the LMT'D compared to the 700 doesn't. I also plan on keeping this bike a long time hopefully so when you look at the extra $200 for the 700 isn't a big deal.
The 700 may be worth the extra money for me also, except it's $300 in my case as I wouldn't buy the rack/fenders if I got the 500. I'm not sure if the LMT'D is worth an additional $300 on top of that. The value of these 3 bikes is pretty close. I could come up with a good reason why each one is the best choice for me. The 500 is the one I actually went to purchase recently until I saw they moved the shipping date.

Wow, great update on the controller. We need more info on whether they are now shipping the LMT with this new controller. Almost sounds like your original controller was only PAS not Torque sensor based.

Since you had to buy the controller i'm not too excited about Ride1Ups response, especially given their response to Wings.

Really happy you have a bike you love now though.

The 700 may be worth the extra money for me also, except it's $300 in my case as I wouldn't buy the rack/fenders if I got the 500. I'm not sure if the LMT'D is worth an additional $300 on top of that. The value of these 3 bikes is pretty close. I could come up with a good reason why each one is the best choice for me. The 500 is the one I actually went to purchase recently until I saw they moved the shipping date.
First of all sorry for the thread hi Jack. Everybody's situation is different I guess. But for me I think the extra $300 ( $220 in my case ) get you a good bit stepping up from the 500. I could be wrong but it seems like you get a better battery, better brakes, tires, display, rims (?), PAS sensor(?), grips and for me the battery integration looks much better. The main reason I would step up to the LMT'D is for the more powerful motor. It's personal preference but I think the 700 looks better, I like the color and the frame better, plus since I'm going to take it to work once in awhile I'm going to use the rack which cost extra on the LMT'D and it doesn't look as capable as the 700s rack.

Wow, great update on the controller. We need more info on whether they are now shipping the LMT with this new controller. Almost sounds like your original controller was only PAS not Torque sensor based.

Since you had to buy the controller i'm not too excited about Ride1Ups response, especially given their response to Wings.

Really happy you have a bike you love now though.

According to FB posts by the owner, upcoming/future shipments (August and beyond) will have this new controller/software. Thanks for the shoutout - in general, I'm finding that ebikes open up a lot more opportunity to get places I wouldn't otherwise go or see.

It seems like the torque sensor based PAS was working fine and as expected on hills even with the original controller, taking on hills like a warm knife through butter, but the big difference is with the flats now, working well in all assist levels. It sounds like there was an algorithm adjustment for how much torque is applied vs. how much power is output as a result. It must have really been off before based on your early testing, with such obvious issues. It makes you wonder if anyone at Ride1Up actually rode these before selling!

First of all sorry for the thread hi Jack. Everybody's situation is different I guess. But for me I think the extra $300 ( $220 in my case ) get you a good bit stepping up from the 500. I could be wrong but it seems like you get a better battery, better brakes, tires, display, rims (?), PAS sensor(?), grips and for me the battery integration looks much better. The main reason I would step up to the LMT'D is for the more powerful motor. It's personal preference but I think the 700 looks better, I like the color and the frame better, plus since I'm going to take it to work once in awhile I'm going to use the rack which cost extra on the LMT'D and it doesn't look as capable as the 700s rack.
It sounds like you've found your bike. That's great. As far as the LMT'D, I like the idea of a properly working torque sensor based PAS as in the LMT'D along with being lightweight with more power, but I think I would have to ride it and experience its response first hand to conclude whether it's worth it. That's not going to happen, so at some point, I'm just going to have to jump in to buy an e-bike and hope I'm happy with no regrets.

It sounds like you've found your bike. That's great. As far as the LMT'D, I like the idea of a properly working torque sensor based PAS as in the LMT'D along with being lightweight with more power, but I think I would have to ride it and experience its response first hand to conclude whether it's worth it. That's not going to happen, so at some point, I'm just going to have to jump in to buy an e-bike and hope I'm happy with no regrets.
I totally understand. I actually ordered the 700 this weekend and I've never ridden on a e-bike before. I'm sure some find that a bit foolish but I'm pretty sure I'll like it. As for the torque sensor versus cadence sensor that was on my list as a reason to go spend the extra $300 for the LMT'D but then I read different threads with people who like the Cadence sensor better so I guess I'll see how it goes. Plus I think I read in one of the threads somebody complaining about the lack of a grommet where the wiring for the goes into the frame. That's a little thing but still. Originally I was looking to spend a little over $1,000 so I stretched it in an extra $500 in this case. I do wish 700 was a little lighter but on the website it says it's 62 lb and I've seen reviews online that say it's 55. I'm a pretty good size, 6 ft 2 in and 220 lbs, , I don't have to carry it up any stairs, and I'll mostly be riding on suburban pavement so I don't think that'll be an issue. Don't get me wrong even if I absolutely love the bike I am going to wonder what it would be like to ride a LMT'D with a little less weight and that bigger motor.
Good luck with your search looking forward to see what you decide on.

Last edited:
I'm pondering a 700 also. It sounds silly but if I get it, I will not be installing the rack or fenders. I like the look of it better without and it will cut down a fews pounds.

Weight is not a big factor on an electric bike. Weight, wind, hills, an electric bike gobbles it up like candy.

I'm pondering a 700 also. It sounds silly but if I get it, I will not be installing the rack or fenders. I like the look of it better without and it will cut down a fews pounds.
Nahh, I actually feel the same way about the fenders. I haven't had them for the last 15 years of regular seasonal riding. I use one of those seat post racks, which has been plenty good enough for my use as well. Just earlier today, I was looking to see if there were any pictures of the 700 without the rack/fenders, but I didn't see any.

I'm not planning on putting the fenders on although that flat black doesn't look bad. I'm not really planning on riding it very often in the rain though. I will use it to go back and forth to work but only when the weather is nice and I get up in time.... But I do plan on putting on the rack because if I go back and forth to work with it I'm going to need it.

Nahh, I actually feel the same way about the fenders. I haven't had them for the last 15 years of regular seasonal riding. I use one of those seat post racks, which has been plenty good enough for my use as well. Just earlier today, I was looking to see if there were any pictures of the 700 without the rack/fenders, but I didn't see any.
If I had gotten the Core5 I would have got one of those seat post racks as I think they look cool to But I'm going to use the full rack because when I go back and forth to work I bring a sort of lunch box/cooler. Plus if I use it to go over a friend's house have a beer or two I can put them in there.

Originally I was looking to spend a little over $1,000 so I stretched it in an extra $500 in this case. I do wish 700 was a little lighter but on the website it says it's 62 lb and I've seen reviews online that say it's 55. I'm a pretty good size, 6 ft 2 in and 220 lbs,
I was about 220, but I'm down about 25 pounds since spring, mostly since riding, and I'm still losing at this point.... maybe another 5 to 10 pounds, we'll see. Multiple 50 to 66 mile rides help with that. I think my standard hybrid bike is around 35 pounds.

My budget had been roughly $2500, and the plan since last summer bad been to buy a single fat tire bike with that - the Juice RCS to be specific. It wasn't until this spring that I started having a change in preference away from a fat tire bike and to just get something with wider tires than my current bike's 35c tires. I've always felt that it would be good to have a second e-bike in case the primary is out of commission for a while or perhaps I want to take someone e-biking with me, so this was looking possible now without inflating my budget, by much anyway. That Espin Nero early bird special (potentially with premium add-on) combined with a Ride1Up 500, 700, or LMT'D seemed like a good combination, with a combined total of $2200 to $2900. That would give me my two bikes, with a little variety of two different styles, having one regular 2.2" to 2.4" tire bike and one fat tire bike.

I think I had mentioned earlier that I had crossed the Core5 off my list among the Ride1UP bikes. And as a primary bike, I stand by that. My latest thought is to maybe to get a LMT'D, and get a Core5 as my secondary bike. They are compatible for batteries, so there would be that additional benefit rather than just having a backup e-bike. I could take the Core5 10.4 Ah battery with me on the LMT'D for extra range. If the LMT'D is out of service, I could use its higher capacity battery in the Core5. I'll still have some variety in the cadence vs. torque PAS systems. That's a $2900 combination, the same as a LMT'D and early bird Espin Nero (w/premium) combination. Yet, something else to think about. More than likely, if I were to go the LMT'D/Core5 route, I would just order the LMT'D first and make sure I'm happy with it before adding the Core5 since Ride1Up doesn't offer a multiple bike discount.

The other decision will be whether to go ahead and order a bike this late considering the late shipping dates or hold off until spring or a possible special deal (as is available with the Espin Nero now).

@GenXrider I like your idea of having 2 different bikes with the same battery. In fact, companies like R1U should look into that more as that may be a good selling point where you can purchase a variety of their lineup and be able to have battery compatibility.

Maybe I should get the Core-5 first... and then get the LMT'd later because invariably someone in my household will want one once I get one. :)

I was about 220, but I'm down about 25 pounds since spring, mostly since riding, and I'm still losing at this point.... maybe another 5 to 10 pounds, we'll see. Multiple 50 to 66 mile rides help with that. I think my standard hybrid bike is around 35 pounds.

My budget had been roughly $2500, and the plan since last summer bad been to buy a single fat tire bike with that - the Juice RCS to be specific. It wasn't until this spring that I started having a change in preference away from a fat tire bike and to just get something with wider tires than my current bike's 35c tires. I've always felt that it would be good to have a second e-bike in case the primary is out of commission for a while or perhaps I want to take someone e-biking with me, so this was looking possible now without inflating my budget, by much anyway. That Espin Nero early bird special (potentially with premium add-on) combined with a Ride1Up 500, 700, or LMT'D seemed like a good combination, with a combined total of $2200 to $2900. That would give me my two bikes, with a little variety of two different styles, having one regular 2.2" to 2.4" tire bike and one fat tire bike.

I think I had mentioned earlier that I had crossed the Core5 off my list among the Ride1UP bikes. And as a primary bike, I stand by that. My latest thought is to maybe to get a LMT'D, and get a Core5 as my secondary bike. They are compatible for batteries, so there would be that additional benefit rather than just having a backup e-bike. I could take the Core5 10.4 Ah battery with me on the LMT'D for extra range. If the LMT'D is out of service, I could use its higher capacity battery in the Core5. I'll still have some variety in the cadence vs. torque PAS systems. That's a $2900 combination, the same as a LMT'D and early bird Espin Nero (w/premium) combination. Yet, something else to think about. More than likely, if I were to go the LMT'D/Core5 route, I would just order the LMT'D first and make sure I'm happy with it before adding the Core5 since Ride1Up doesn't offer a multiple bike discount.

The other decision will be whether to go ahead and order a bike this late considering the late shipping dates or hold off until spring or a possible special deal (as is available with the Espin Nero now).
I'd like to drop about 15. Not trying to sound like I'm anything but I'm 6'2" and used to work out a good bit so I have a decent bit of muscle, not saying there aren't a few beer pounds in there .......That sounds like a good plan but I wasn't going to spend too much until I see if I go out as often as I think I will. Plus my wife might want one once she tries it. My 13 year old son already does but that's another story. Also have a bathroom renovation on the horizon so there's that ...

@GenXrider I like your idea of having 2 different bikes with the same battery. In fact, companies like R1U should look into that more as that may be a good selling point where you can purchase a variety of their lineup and be able to have battery compatibility.

Maybe I should get the Core-5 first... and then get the LMT'd later because invariably someone in my household will want one once I get one. :)

Telling customers to buy two bikes, one for riding and the second for when #1 is out of service, is not a good look.

It also seems incredibly silly from a customer perspective. Hard to imagine you can't wing it with the bus/car/Uber/pedal bike/bikeshare for a couple days here and there.

Interoperability is good, but non proprietary is even better (I think R's are).

Telling customers to buy two bikes, one for riding and the second for when #1 is out of service, is not a good look.

It also seems incredibly silly from a customer perspective. Hard to imagine you can't wing it with the bus/car/Uber/pedal bike/bikeshare for a couple days here and there.

Interoperability is good, but non proprietary is even better (I think R's are).
Perhaps, but since that's not what he said not really relevant. He said he'd probably have to get a 2nd bike for a member of his family

In regard to the LMT'D and a second e-bike:
I don't know about most people, but my use of my bike (and future e-bike) is 100% for exercise and entertainment. A bus, typical passenger car, and Uber aren't very good for exercise or entertainment. There is no bikeshare around here for any bikes, let alone e-bikes that I can walk out to my garage and get on. I have a standard bike, but I want to get away from that due to increasing knee pain. With only a few months of good riding weather each year, I could handle "two days" without riding as mentioned, but I would hate to be stuck without my e-bike if it's out of service for weeks or months as some others have reported with different brands. Someone on this forum recently reported it taking a full year to get a replacement part for their e-bike!

Having a second e-bike gives you a backup that's already to go, gives you the option to invite someone else to go e-biking with you (who doesn't have their own e-bike - i.e. most people), and gives you a little variety to trade-off between bikes, even more useful if they are different styles of bikes. I've seen a number of posts from people on this forum who have stated they have a full "stable" of e-bikes and that it's addictive to buy e-bikes. So having just two bikes seems pretty conservative and logical. Having compatible batteries between two bikes is just an additional plus in the case I outlined earlier. Having bikes of greater varying styles would make more sense for some people, such as having a daily driver/commuter and a dedicated mountain bike if you're into MTB.

Last edited:
Ride1Up put out an email bulletin on the Core-5 and LMT'D today (First image). Same issue I pointed out in the first post of this thread (Second image). Easy enough to rectify - move the cable wrap so it cover the cables at the frame exit and then push the covering into the frame (Third image). My guess is this is another thing addressed in the August bikes as mentioned already.

Keeping this thread on topic...

Image 7-27-20 at 7.57 PM.jpeg
\

My LMT'D as I unpackaged it:

IMG_0738.jpeg

My bike - fixed:

IMG_0759.jpeg

Back