Review: New LMT'D - new owner's perspective

Got my LMTD on Wednesday and had it assembled by my local bike shop. First thing the mechanic said to me when I went to pick it up was, "sweet bike". Haven't even had the chance to ride it yet with some unusually cold and wet weather the last two days. Finally the sun has come out today! Can't wait to take it for a spin.

Chronie - looking forward to a full report!

I think you missed my 12:54 PM edit to my earlier post, because that's exactly what I mentioned doing earlier. I had gone to the LMT'D page and clicked on the cafe handlebars option just before that edit, and it said, "This variation is out of stock and being replaced with a ST frame which will be shipping in October."

That was over 7 hours ago, so I just checked again now to see if anything has changed, but it still says that. Here is the screenshot.

View attachment 64746

Edit: OK, then I went back a minute later, and now it no longer shows that message. You can order it. I exited and went back a few times in 3 different browsers, and it's always showing the cafe version as in stock now. So, it looks like there could be a site issue. I don't trust what it says now.

View attachment 64747

Edit: OK, it's changed again for the cafe handlebar type. Now it says, " Pre-Order Only, orders will not ship until October 10th. "
I also ran into website weirdness when I ordered my LMT'D. When I first looked it said the Cafe bars were discontinued. A few hours later, after I'd decided to go with the riser bars, I went back and it showed 'In Stock' on the Cafe bars- so I immediately ordered. When I looked the next morning, it showed 'Out of Stock.' (but not discontinued.) So- I was concerned, so I emailed Support. I said that if they did NOT have the Cafe bars, I would take the Risers instead. They replied that I got the last Cafe bar version. Ummm- okay. I think they're just taking bars off another model if you order the Cafe bars, especially since I've seen a couple of other people talking about ordering the day after me. Whatever- it doesn't concern me, I'm just trying to get the bike as soon as possible. I'm hoping I have no assembly struggles, I'll be using it to commute to work, so the sooner the better.

I ordered the Cafe bars. They are very narrow. I'm 6' 1" and they are as wide as my shoulders. I put on an adjustable steering stem when I assembled the bike so they are up and I have pretty much a sit up position like a comfort bike. Now saying that they are not uncomfortable but I think I feel I have more control with a straight mountain bike type of bar like my other bike. Seat doesn't seem too bad either for my derriere. But I haven't taken a long trip yet. Received my phone mount today from Ride1up.

The LMT'D product info says it has 13g spokes. The 500, 700, and Core-5 have 13g on the front and larger 12g spokes on the rear wheel. This is a little bit of concern if the LMT'D does indeed have smaller spokes on the rear wheel than their other bikes.
I need a replacement rim for my R1Up 700XR as the rim is bent. Do you have any idea for a replacement? 27.5", 36 holes. The Halo 90082-219673 won't work as the spoke holes are too small! Thank you.

In what way is the rim bent? The spokes can straighten a rim or bend it if not adjusted correctly.

The rim was bent while the bike was in the rack on the back of the vehicle, so the spokes were most likely OK when installed. I really like my Ride1Up 700, but am having second thoughts now that I am discovering there are no replacement parts available. Thank you.

Seriously thinking of getting the LMT'D. Could anyone tell me if it has WALK ASSIST? My ebike has that feature and it is a lifesaver when walking the bike climbing up stairs, rolling a bike with a flat tire to a comfortable spot, and when walking my bike up a steep difficult section of trail. I am 69 years old and love streets and bike paths, but also enjoy dirt bike paths at times too. Not crazy downhill, but fun trails. First time posting, I hope I am in the right thread for this question.

Last edited:
Make sure you are satisfied that replacement parts are available. It is easy to bend a rim, and I had to purchase the entire rear wheel assembly $450, in order to replace a $75 rim! ALL parts should be made available by the eBike maker, or information to be able to obtain parts from other vendors. I hope I’ve learned my lesson on buying something made in China without checking for part availability.

Seriously thinking of getting the LMT'D. Could anyone tell me if it has pedal assist? My ebike has that feature and it is a lifesaver when walking the bike climbing up stairs, rolling a bike with a flat tire to a comfortable spot, and when walking my bike up a steep difficult section of trail. I am 69 years old and love streets and bike paths, but also enjoy dirt bike paths at times too. Not crazy downhill, but fun trails. First time posting, I hope I am in the right thread for this question.
Jim,
The LMTD does have pedal assist as well as a throttle. However, it uses a torque sensor vs a cadence sensor. Do your research on the differences between the 2. Torque is more of a traditional bike feel, where you actually have to pedal harder. If you haven’t joined the tide1up Facebook group, I suggest that as well.

Seriously thinking of getting the LMT'D. Could anyone tell me if it has pedal assist? My ebike has that feature and it is a lifesaver when walking the bike climbing up stairs, rolling a bike with a flat tire to a comfortable spot, and when walking my bike up a steep difficult section of trail. I am 69 years old and love streets and bike paths, but also enjoy dirt bike paths at times too. Not crazy downhill, but fun trails. First time posting, I hope I am in the right thread for this question.
All e-bikes have pedal assist- do you mean walk assist where the motor will help propel the bike while you are walking it? The LMT’D does not have a walk assist feature.

Actually, the Lmt'd (at least my Lmt'd) does have a walk assist feature. I have a Yakama OnRamp rack and like it's name says, it has a ramp. I use the walk assist to get it up onto the rack. Press and hold the "-" key on the controller and it will move at 4 mph.

Actually, the Lmt'd (at least my Lmt'd) does have a walk assist feature. I have a Yakama OnRamp rack and like it's name says, it has a ramp. I use the walk assist to get it up onto the rack. Press and hold the "-" key on the controller and it will move at 4 mph.
Is yours a first generation? If not I’ll have to try it...could fall into the “learn something new everyday” category.

I meant to say "walk" assist. I went ahead and bought 2 LMT'D's (one of each style) and am extremely happy with the condition they showed up in, considering both boxes had huge gashes...but I got lucky I guess. Even more happy with the bikes themselves. Torque sensor is vastly superior to the pedal assist I had on my previous ebike. I found the walk feature in the display "-" , I am a happy camper.

Last edited:
Reactions: BET
RicS, sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. My Lmt'd has an updated controller so I guess that makes it a Gen 2. I was experiencing the error 21 problem so Ride1Up sent me a new controller. Fixed my problem and now I've got a great bike. My walk speed is probably more like 4mph. I don't have to walk fast to stay with it and when loading on my rack, it rides up the ramp with no problems.

The rim was bent while the bike was in the rack on the back of the vehicle, so the spokes were most likely OK when installed. I really like my Ride1Up 700, but am having second thoughts now that I am discovering there are no replacement parts available. Thank you.
Did you contact the company? I have a 700 and have found the service to be responsive but replacement parts are a concern of mine as well. I don't mind fixing it myself if I know what parts to get and I can get them. I would imagine with many new DTC bike companies access to parts is going to be difficult for a while. Partly because of how popular the bikes are right now and also the companies are relatively new.

Make sure you are satisfied that replacement parts are available. It is easy to bend a rim, and I had to purchase the entire rear wheel assembly $450, in order to replace a $75 rim! ALL parts should be made available by the eBike maker, or information to be able to obtain parts from other vendors. I hope I’ve learned my lesson on buying something made in China without checking for part availability.
If you don't mind me asking when you say the whole real assembly does that include a new motor and everything?

Here's a detailed review from Electrek... looks like a good deal for a nice spec Class-3 EBike. ;)

Ride1UP LMT’D e-bike review: High-quality e-bike prices are coming down! (electrek.co)

The Ride1Up LMT’D e-bike is a hybrid-style commuter e-bike that is nicely outfitted without pushing the price too high. For just $1,695 you’re getting a fast, 28 mph (45 km/h) Class 3 e-bike with a powerful 1 kW peak motor, torque sensor bottom bracket, slickly integrated removable 672 Wh battery, an RST Asteria adjustable air-suspension fork, crisp Auriga hydraulic disc brakes on 180 mm rotors, a mid-shelf Shimano Alivio-based 8-speed drivetrain, and Schwalbe Super Moto X tires.

That’s a lot of nice parts for barely over the industry standard $1,500 for a typical decent-level commuter e-bike.
And that spec sheet isn’t just for show; these components actually contribute to a better ride and a nicer ownership experience.

Last edited:
What parts do I need to achieve the swept back handlebars like this for my 700 which has been ordered? Stem and handlebar..? riser perhaps?
Sorry, that's not mine. Some handlebars I've seen don't look as swept back as those. I don't see why you would need a different stem as long as you get the right size of handlebars.

Back