Retired and 75, should I get an ebike?

I just turned 81 in January and LOVE my Ride1Up 700 e-bike.
I get MUCH more exercise on it than I did my old 'Pedal Only' bike, because when I got tired on it, I would put it up for weeks or months on end.
With my e-bike, I pedal till I get tired, 'hit the throttle' till I'm rested, then pedal till I'm tired again, and so forth.
My Ride1Up battery comes out so I can take it in side to charge it, but I believe most are like that.
Just Do It, You'll Love it.

I'm a youngster at 71 (today in fact) and got my first eBike 18 months ago. It really got me back into riding. I bought one of the small folding eBikes with 20" wheels. It was good fun.

In my mid-60's I rode a carbon road bike and usually rode 3k to 4k per year. I quit that after one too many close calls with cars (drivers really). I sold my road bikes and got a Specialized "hybrid" bike - a cross between a mountain bike and road bike. But never rode it much at all.

Four months ago I thought it would be a fun project to make that hybrid into an eBike. I expected the project to take weeks. But I ordered a kit online and within a week of placing the order it was delivered and installed (by me) and I was riding again.

Since buying that first eBike in December 2019 to riding my new DIY eBike I built in Jan 2021 I've ridden 1200+ miles. So, obviously I say GO FOR IT! Don't put it off another day.

You folks might want to check our demographic thread. You fit right in.

Happy Birthday Creativepart.

I haven't riden bikes since I was a kid and would not out on the highways etc. You bring up an important point about interacting with cars and today's drivers attitudes that I think deserves significant consideration for all bike riders and maybe especially for riders with a little more age/wisdom to their credit.

While waiting for an ebike I ordered, I rented an ebike yesterday and rode around a beautiful ocean side community near me with my wife. This is a place with all dead end streets, security patrolling, a golf course, 25 mph speed limit, and stunning views from everywhere. Just having the limited amount of traffic go by and needing to watch out for it has its own level of taxing.

My wife and I usually hike the beautiful areas around us and do long walks on the beach. One place we hiked a while ago was a fire road that is closed off to vehicle traffic and has been for years. It was a great walk but we arrived late in the day and didn't cover a lot of ground before needing to turn around and get back before dark. We went back to that place with ebikes and covered miles of trails seeing so much variety and beauty and at a faster pace than walking - I felt a childlike excitement again (I was hooked).

So contrasting those two places, I'm thinking of all the paths and locations we can go to ride in our area where cars are not allowed. Ebikes open up lots of options, I would encourage anyone interested to explore the possibility of using ebikes in places where other bikes and walkers are all that you have to watch out for.

I would recommend the Lectric XP, which is a folding, fat tire, 20 inch bike which comes in a regular frame and a step thru model which would be prefect for someone of . . . . shorter stature. Handlebars and frame both fold and many store them in a Walmart 38 gallon tub, which can be hauled in the trunk of a car or the back of a van if you want/need to ride farther from home. Battery lasts at least 20 miles, even if you don't pedal at all, but farther if you do. Price is $899 with free shipping. I've had mine for nearly a year (I'm 74) and I LOVE it - The handlebars are fully adjustable and I have the suspension seatpost, which is a real winner, especially if you take the time to properly adjust it for your weight. True, there are loads of other, better ebikes, but what you get with the XP is pretty amazing for only $899

Don

Those are popular on here. The gateway drug of ebikes, they call them.

I've ridden an ebike around the block at a bike store while waiting to get a repair on my 35 year old bike. I would like to ride more but I have trouble with the hills in the Atlanta area. My knees are getting old but riding a bike is supposed to strengthen the muscles. I weigh about 145.

I loved my trip around block...it was exciting and there was a little hill that was amazingly easy for me. I think I would ride longer and farther on a ebike. I have no idea what I need and would appreciate some help.
I am 81 and have been riding ebikes for 4 years. Just recently got my 3rd one. It's a Magnum Classic foldable stepthru with 500w motor. This bike is very strong and handles hills easily. A big plus is that I bought it from a local dealer and it is guaranteed for a year.

I've ridden an ebike around the block at a bike store while waiting to get a repair on my 35 year old bike. I would like to ride more but I have trouble with the hills in the Atlanta area. My knees are getting old but riding a bike is supposed to strengthen the muscles. I weigh about 145.

I loved my trip around block...it was exciting and there was a little hill that was amazingly easy for me. I think I would ride longer and farther on a ebike. I have no idea what I need and would appreciate some help.

Attachments

• 1616352822817670256242.jpg
    1616352822817670256242.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 224
I bought mine a few weeks ago. I am really loving it. I have ride a few 30+km trips already. There maybe cheaper ebikes but this is the most affordable one with a mid drive Bosch system, an internal gear hub and from a well supported brand. And I really enjoy the IGH. I often forget (or never have the chance) to downshift gear before stop. IGH + a good torque sensor really helps start the bike uphill.

I bought mine a few weeks ago. I am really loving it. I have ride a few 30+km trips already. There maybe cheaper ebikes but this is the most affordable one with a mid drive Bosch system, an internal gear hub and from a well supported brand. And I really enjoy the IGH. I often forget (or never have the chance) to downshift gear before stop. IGH + a good torque sensor really helps start the bike uphill.
Please show a photo.

I am 76 and bought an ebike at Thanksgiving last year. I had ridden a non-ebike foldable for two years before buying. A Blix Vika+. I live out side of San Diego and the hills were a challenge for me. I have just ridden 12 miles including the bike path over Mission Trails Summit (820 feet) and having a coffee before riding 12 miles back home. I have no regrets buying an ebike and now wish I had done so earlier. I try to ride 3-4 days a week. I don't own a car and haven't for 8 years, a decision I made when selling the last car I owned. I am a regular trolley rider and take my ebike onboard. I bought the Blix Vika+ because it was lighter (53 lbs) but it is still too heavy for me to put on bus racks. I read the reviews in Electric bike reviews and that convinced me the Blix was right for me.

I am 76 and bought an ebike at Thanksgiving last year. I had ridden a non-ebike foldable for two years before buying. A Blix Vika+. I live out side of San Diego and the hills were a challenge for me. I have just ridden 12 miles including the bike path over Mission Trails Summit (820 feet) and having a coffee before riding 12 miles back home. I have no regrets buying an ebike and now wish I had done so earlier. I try to ride 3-4 days a week. I don't own a car and haven't for 8 years, a decision I made when selling the last car I owned. I am a regular trolley rider and take my ebike onboard. I bought the Blix Vika+ because it was lighter (53 lbs) but it is still too heavy for me to put on bus racks. I read the reviews in Electric bike reviews and that convinced me the Blix was right for me.
Kudos for being car free, I sure at times it´s been inconvenient, but you must be committed to the fight against
climate change. The drought, (see U.S. Drought Monitor map), is no longer just a So. Cal. problem. I-5 is making
a big contribution. Anyone whose had enuff & using a bike & mass transit is a hero. We need to stop in our
tracks right now & re-think the way we get around before that red blob on the map overwhelms the whole west.

Kudos for being car free, I sure at times it´s been inconvenient, but you must be committed to the fight against
climate change. The drought, (see U.S. Drought Monitor map), is no longer just a So. Cal. problem. I-5 is making
a big contribution. Anyone whose had enuff & using a bike & mass transit is a hero. We need to stop in our
tracks right now & re-think the way we get around before that red blob on the map overwhelms the whole west.
Interior BC is in an emergency heat warning with all time record temps right now as of 4PM PST.
I have been running an experiment for a while, since January 2018. Ebikes have set me car free. I can take them on the train. The best is hail. That is when I know I am alive.
1624751127517.png

I agree with feeling alive while one bikes! Getting on the bike always boosts my spirits. I am a volunteer and docent at the San Diego Natural History Museum. I sed to take the trolley and ride the last mile or so. Decided a few months ago to just ride there. It is 18 miles but what a joy to ride and see new areas of San Diego I have never seen before!

I agree with feeling alive while one bikes! Getting on the bike always boosts my spirits. I am a volunteer and docent at the San Diego Natural History Museum. I sed to take the trolley and ride the last mile or so. Decided a few months ago to just ride there. It is 18 miles but what a joy to ride and see new areas of San Diego I have never seen before!
I'm 74 , will be 75 in August and have owned two e-bikes for 3 years. I had a carbon hybird non e-bike prior.

Three years ago I went into my LBS and tried out a Trek XM 700 Commuter e-Bike. I didn't know an e-bike from
pound of cheese. After a 20 minute test ride I knew right then and there the e-bike was for me. I returned to
my LBS and bought the bike on the spot.

As mentioned it's been 3 years and every time I ride it's like the first time 3 years ago. I liked the Trek so much
I bought a Trek Powerfly 7 e-MTB without ever riding it for rail trail riding. Same thing, an absolute joy to ride.
Best decision I ever made. Every ride is Christmas morning : )

Good luck,
John

I'm 74 , will be 75 in August and have owned two e-bikes for 3 years. I had a carbon hybird non e-bike prior.

Three years ago I went into my LBS and tried out a Trek XM 700 Commuter e-Bike. I didn't know an e-bike from
pound of cheese. After a 20 minute test ride I knew right then and there the e-bike was for me. I returned to
my LBS and bought the bike on the spot.

As mentioned it's been 3 years and every time I ride it's like the first time 3 years ago. I liked the Trek so much
I bought a Trek Powerfly 7 e-MTB without ever riding it for rail trail riding. Same thing, an absolute joy to ride.
Best decision I ever made. Every ride is Christmas morning : )

Good luck,
John
Bought my Allant+7 just a little over a year ago and have 1600+ miles and have now bought a Trek Rail 5.

An ebike is the answer for you. I have had a SX Sondors for over two years and flat love this machine. It has opened new possibilities to me. 74 and in not great health I can do 20 mile runs without any serious problems.

Back