Retired and 75, should I get an ebike?

I've ridden an ebike around the block at a bike store while waiting to get a repair on my 35 year old bike. I would like to ride more but I have trouble with the hills in the Atlanta area. My knees are getting old but riding a bike is supposed to strengthen the muscles. I weigh about 145.

I loved my trip around block...it was exciting and there was a little hill that was amazingly easy for me. I think I would ride longer and farther on a ebike. I have no idea what I need and would appreciate some help.
at 62 bad ticker,bad back,leg , one eye and that's half blind.....go for it......nobody gets out alive,,,, you will still get a good workout ,,without killing yourself,..
check out the forums /review here &... find a good fit ...I have a small collection of ebikes going myself..a few grand at this stage of the game for this much fun is a bargain...go for it....,,,just remember battery,battery,battery......your ebike is only as good as your batteries....enjoy...

Original Poster: We have to lift these things from time to time. Think about weight. Seriously.
I don't EVER lift my e-bike. I do roll it onto the seat & handles sometimes for maintenance. You drive your bike around in a car or something? I don't drive a car, I ride an e-bike. If it blows a tire or drops axle balls I push it to my or a friend's house. Nearest bike shop that works on anything but Pedego is 70 miles away.

Last edited:
I don't EVER lift my e-bike. You drive your bike around in a car or something?
We live several miles outside of town on a road with no shoulders, a 45 mph speed limit which everyone does 55 or 60 on and if we didn't carry our bikes by car to a safer place to ride, there's little question but we would be dead by now, so, yes, we do lift our bikes into the van and we do carry them by car, just about every time we ride them. I'm also pretty sure we're not alone in this respect

I recently bought my wife a new eTrike for Christmas and the #1 consideration for that purchase was that it had to fold up small enough to fit in the back of our mini-van

Don

Impossible to get anywhere around Atlanta w/o driving a car or truck. I lived north of you in Cartersville off I-75 20 years ago. Mostly 6 lane 75 mph traffic then, and worse now. I wouldn't buy a bike that I can't lift. And having a 70 pounder on top of you rather than under you can happen to anybody, fast . Ouch.

Since you mentioned your knees are getting old I suggest test riding the Trek/Electra Townie Go! 5i Step-Thru ; $2,599.99
It has Flat Foot /Pedal Forward geometry which is easier on the knees .

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ownie-go-5i-step-thru/p/33004/?colorCode=grey

TownieGo5iStepthru_21_33004_B_Primary

You may want to take a look at Lenny's to get a good idea of what's available in the $1,400 to $2,000 range.
Here is their current deal offered for $1,440 ... they also have Ebikes starting at $780. Hope this helps. :)

1615935179632.png

Theres a $799 ppd bike on EBAY now its a 26" step thru bike with 350 watts of motor power, the only trouble is its a steel frame and a smallish battery, however with a motor a bit more weight is less a handicap, even if there are not many well known name brand components it seems well appointed and might seem as small and awkward as the fat tire 20 inchers, if I were buying today this the bike I would buy to get my feet wet, steel frames have a quality of their own.
I had a well known 20 incher( battery eater and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough and made the mistake of trying another) from now on its larger rims for me.
The Bike in question is called a "ViVi"

You may want to take a look at Lenny's to get a good idea of what's available in the $1,400 to $2,000 range.
Here is their current deal offered for $1,440 ... they also have Ebikes starting at $780. Hope this helps. :)

View attachment 81778
Gotta hope CL overall is more impressive than their Winter Garden location. I wouldn't buy anything there.

Here's a timely article from Electrek on low-cost Ebikes under $1,400 so you can spend your stimulus check wisely. ;)

It’s that time of the year again, stimulus check time! Now, I want to be very clear upfront: if you’re struggling to make rent or buy food, obviously those priorities come first. But for those who have their necessities met and now are prepared to put the “stimulus” in stimulus check, these are our favorite sub-$1,400 electric bicycles that you can buy from American-based direct-to-consumer companies right now (though don’t forget that if you have a local e-bike shop, you can stimulate your local economy by shopping there).

Rolling your stimulus check into alternative transportation like an electric bicycle won’t just stimulate the economy and help US businesses. It will also help you commute to work or ride for pleasure on a fun, environmentally conscious two-wheeled electric vehicle that could ultimately save you a lot of money down the road compared to car ownership or public transportation. I’ve been an avid believer in the power of electric bicycles as alternative transportation vehicles for over a decade now. E-bikes are one of the best car substitutes around for their low environmental impact, high utility, ease of operation, and vast health benefits. Putting your stimulus check to work by supporting American-run companies and ALSO getting yourself on a healthy, sustainable alternative form of transportation is a big win.

Last edited:
I spent my stimulus check on a Buzz ebike. Have had it for a week now and I love it. I have no complaints with it yet other then it not having a rear rack, though it has mounts for one. Check out the web site. Trump bought me a wide cut Toro mower last year, and Biden bought me a Buzz ebike. I like the bike a lot more then the mower!

I've ridden an ebike around the block at a bike store while waiting to get a repair on my 35 year old bike. I would like to ride more but I have trouble with the hills in the Atlanta area. My knees are getting old but riding a bike is supposed to strengthen the muscles. I weigh about 145.

I loved my trip around block...it was exciting and there was a little hill that was amazingly easy for me. I think I would ride longer and farther on a ebike. I have no idea what I need and would appreciate some help.
Don't get an E-Bike... unless you want to have fun, and be healthier.

I absolutely, positively recommend you buy an e-bike. I'm 74 and bought my first e-bike 3 years ago. I'd never been on a e-bike or really knew what
they were. Three years ago I was in my bike shop waiting, exactly as you were, my sales rep suggested I take the e-bike I was looking at out for
a ride since I had time....In the first 15 minutes I was hooked, rode for another 10 minutes, returned to the shop and bought the bike.

Three years later, every time I ride it's like Christmas morning : ) I ride almost exclusively rail trails. As for what bike etc to buy. Establish a relationship
with a local bike shop that you like, feel comfortable with and trust. I have two Treks which have been bullet proof. There a many quality brands. I'd
also check if your bike shop has a person trained to do a bike fit ( You to the bike ). This can make a huge difference. Not someone that says
" That looks good enough to me "

As for bike choices there are as many as there are posters on EBR. Your quality, honest bike shop can be a big help. Don't get bogged down
researching. It will drive you nuts... I spent 15 minutes and don't regret what I did for a minute. Report back in as you progress.

Good luck,
John

No doubt you can over research and end up missing miles of fun ☺️
True! I absolutely loved my La Free from the first moments of my test ride, then spent months (about 4, if I remember correctly) driving myself absolutely crazy with "research" before finally buying it. On the plus side, I got a great price from my LBS' Black Friday sale, but, by that time there wasn't much riding time left in the season (we left to travel to our east coast home in early February). I could have been riding through late summer and all of the fall - perfect time around the Salish Sea for biking adventures!

Did I learn my lesson? NO! Looking for a bike to keep at our second home, I spent months agonizing about an Espin Flow before finally purchasing a week ago. At least this time I didn't miss any ride opportunity, since we only arrived here yesterday. If the bike is delivered soon, I've got about 3 months in NC to enjoy it.

No time for regrets, though - love every minute on my La Free, and looking forward to the same happy feeling once I get out on my Flow (I realize they're quite different bikes - I'm hoping I'm an adaptable sort 😉)!

Last edited:
Since you mentioned your knees are getting old I suggest test riding the Trek/Electra Townie Go! 5i Step-Thru ; $2,599.99
It has Flat Foot /Pedal Forward geometry which is easier on the knees .

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ownie-go-5i-step-thru/p/33004/?colorCode=grey

TownieGo5iStepthru_21_33004_B_Primary
.....'Flat Foot Technology' also allows you to place both feet safely on the ground when stopped, thanks to the geometry of the frame.

Whichever bike you choose I encourage you to consider seatpost designed to absorb bumps and road vibration. A quality unit will make
a world of difference. There are a number of seatpost that vary in price. I have the (2) Kinekt 2.1 posts ( Link below) it's pricy, but it works
very well. I've very satisfied. Glad I bought it.

John

Ride a Townie for a good long ride .Flat foot stepthru. Built by Trek . Comes from Cheaper to Costs Than A Car Trim. Test drive one of those when you're at a Trek dealer if you can

Last edited:

I would pick something you can lift onto a bike rack 50 # or lessI would rather have something I can lift. But a ramp has to help.

Last edited:
Back