Replacement tires?

It is worth mentioning @PatriciaK, that not all 26x2.35 tyres are the same in terms of overall width when pumped up.
From experience, Schwalbe tyres tend to be smaller than Maxxis or Continental. Notwithstanding, tyre tred and carcass thickness will increase the girth of the tyre as well.

Also, I did ask around and one tyre which I totally forgot about was Panaracer. The Fire Storm was a good tyre when I was using 26" wheelset 👍🏿

It is worth mentioning @PatriciaK, that not all 26x2.35 tyres are the same in terms of overall width when pumped up.
From experience, Schwalbe tyres tend to be smaller than Maxxis or Continental. Notwithstanding, tyre tred and carcass thickness will increase the girth of the tyre as well.

Also, I did ask around and one tyre which I totally forgot about was Panaracer. The Fire Storm was a good tyre when I was using 26" wheelset 👍🏿
Thanks, Neeko, I'll check them out!

If it 26 you might want to look at the Giant Sedona 2.3's. I am not into getting flats. Also look into cutting down 29er tire liners and inserting a bit of Stan's tubeless juice.
I wouldn't go any bigger than the 2.35, but there are several options that are just a bit thinner - just getting my ducks in order before order 😉.

Does having the sidewall make the tire more susceptible to punctures or other issues?
Tan sidewalls are thinner, due to lacking that extra layer of black rubber over their weave, & thus slightly more susceptible to puncture or tear, as well as somewhat less resistive when rolling.

Black sidewalls have that extra tiny coating of rubber, for whatever durability that's worth (mostly decorative, though).

White-walls have even a bit more rubber, so if weight & rolling resistance are of no concern; a white-wall tire just possibly might resist a sidewall jab that would tear a tire lacking that little extra bit.

Puncture resistant tire liners for 26" wheels do exist, & if you do run tubes as I do (goat-head thorns ruin the tubeless experience), a rim liner is essential, to protect that tube from the ends of the spokes. Either way I'm certain you'll want sealant. I've seen a fellow rider flip a torn tube around the other way, away from the tire's sidewall tear, wrap the tire in duct tape, drain two of my CO2 cartridges, & ride home with tube slime sealing the gaps. I've ridden so long on a 1/4" puncture, I forgot it was there until I rode through something solvent & a green plug of gummified slime shot out & I had to add air to get home. The real-world advantages of tubes + slime outweigh the weight & drag, for me.

That said, supple tires are a wonder:

Personally, I have only recently come around to the joys of super-supple sidewalls & the low-pressure tire designs they allow these days; rolling happily at lower pressures and less drag, on the exact same tread patterns, without pinch flats? Yes please!

So yeah, find the floppy variants! "Foldable", at the least.

(Seriously, I run 60 PSI on old tires; I thought low PSI riders were nuts or just enjoyed reseating tires!? Turns out I just needed to pick the floppiest ones in the tread I wanted...)

Tubes add rolling resistance due to internal friction, & add weight. Modern low-pressure tire casings seem to shed more resistance than tubes add, but honestly I don't know how much increased risk of sidewall tear there is, on low pressure &\or tan sidewall tires. I've only ever had two sidewall tears & those were on old stiff high pressure low Thread-Per-Inch tires. 🤷

Regardless, I strongly recommend using a sealant.

Also, find a CO2 cartridge or portable pump, & tiny bike multitool, to carry on longer rides! Having an ebike, means those extra ounces of preparedness, feel a lot less burdensome to carry!

Last edited:
Does having the sidewall make the tire more susceptible to punctures or other issues?

Any ideas about latitude from the 2.35 aspect? Could I go to 2.3 or even 2.1, or do I need to stay exact?

Having a slight conflict of goals with my personal "mechanic", who always goes for the cheapest thing that will work, VS a balance of price and quality 😂😁😂.
Something I should have mentioned maybe, is that when selecting a tire width, it's a safe bet the narrower the tire, the stiffer the ride. For best ride, or to maintain the one you have, I would try to avoid going any narrower than what you have.

I need to replace the tires on my La Free (26X2.35 CST Metropolitan Palmbay)... Apparently letting the bike sit on them in the garage for months at a time is not a good thing 😱.

Anyway, it's a forest out there in the tire world and I've lost sight of the trees! Should I replace with same? Choose another brand? Continue tubed, or go tubeless? Can I use a slightly"thinner" (like 2.3 or 2.1) option?

Suggestions welcome!

I am also looking to get 2 CST Metropolitan Palm Bay, 26x2.35” for my Lafree, done 3300KMS, planning to replace @ 5k. I could not find these tyres on line. I always had around 60 psi for rides as I felt rolling resitance at lower pressures.

My "Designated Personal Mechanic" (DPM) purposely overinflated my tires, and they popped right back in place straight on the rims ... Problem solved 🤣? Then he backed off to recommended pressure.

Back