Replacement tires?

PatriciaK

Region
USA
City
Pacific Northwest and Piedmont Triad
I need to replace the tires on my La Free (26X2.35 CST Metropolitan Palmbay)... Apparently letting the bike sit on them in the garage for months at a time is not a good thing 😱.

Anyway, it's a forest out there in the tire world and I've lost sight of the trees! Should I replace with same? Choose another brand? Continue tubed, or go tubeless? Can I use a slightly"thinner" (like 2.3 or 2.1) option?

Suggestions welcome!

Generally, you'd pick your tyres indicative of your environment, terrain and season.

26" tyres are available by a lot of brands (Maxxis, Schwalbe, Kenda, Continental etc).

If you could explain where you typically ride, we could reccomend the best suited tyre for your needs 👍🏿

I looked up your bike. Maybe I saw a different version, but it said they are 700c rims. If that is the case then you have many more options. I like WTB gravel tires because they can do just about everything. The compound is hard in the centerline and soft and knobby at the edges.
1642357100746.png

Mine is a 2019, but I don't think it's changed (except that picture is the belt drive version - I have the chain.

I ride mostly on paved surfaces (bike paths, rural roads) with occasional dirt and gravel. Nothing hard core or MTB.

I need to replace the tires on my La Free (26X2.35 CST Metropolitan Palmbay)... Apparently letting the bike sit on them in the garage for months at a time is not a good thing 😱.

Anyway, it's a forest out there in the tire world and I've lost sight of the trees! Should I replace with same? Choose another brand? Continue tubed, or go tubeless? Can I use a slightly"thinner" (like 2.3 or 2.1) option?

Suggestions welcome!
What happened to the tires that are on it? My bikes sit in my garage from about the end of Nov. until the beginning of April and it doesn't seem to hurt them at all.

Schwalbe Smart Sams would be a good option.
Yes, technically it is a mountain bike tyre but that's not a bad thing. The added protection within the carcass will prevent punctures. In addition, the tyres are more XC focused. So they'll roll more quicker.

Another honourable mention would be the Maxxis High Roller 2. I'm not sure if the High Roller 2 comes in a 26" tyre.

As for using tubes or going tubeless, I would opt tubeless. But I am aware that some inner tubes now come with sealant inside them which makes installation easier for a lot of cyclists.

I'll keep on the look out and ask some of my riders within my local group which 26" tyres would be appropriate as well.

Gordon, just before we left for the spring I started noticing a rhythmic "bumping" sensation, mostly in the back tire, but also a little in the front. We checked the rim, the bead, the pressure - everything we could think of. Took it to the LBS yesterday, who checked the same, plus the wheel truing. He said he thought the rubber in the tire had gotten distorted somehow (when you spin the wheel, you can see the tread "jiggling". He offered to take the tire and tube completely off and reinstall, but said there was only a 20-30% chance that would take care of it, so I opted not to. He said they're safe to ride, for now, but I should consider replacing the tires.

Does that sound right, it is there something we all may have missed?

I would vote for Schwalbe Super Moto X (26x2.4") or maybe the Schwalbe Big Apple (26x2.35). These are both balloon types so they don't need/use a lot of air pressure, allowing them to provide an awesome ride as compared to many others. A VERY noticeable difference.... Seems a little counter intuitive with the lower pressures they can run at, but both score pretty well when it comes to rolling resistance. Super Moto X has the "Greenguard" flat protection for what's rated as superior, but I still run Slime in the tubes.

And speaking of Slime, if this thumping is something you feel more than you see, I have to wonder if it's not Slime or something in the tubes causing it (too much maybe?)? I have some I've been running with slime for quite a while without issue, but guessing anything is possible....

Your head mechanic may be up for a simple inner tube change as a try before going with new tires?

Schwalbe Smart Sams I believe, are more about off road than on. Concern would be regarding noise on paved surfaces? -Al

I would vote for Schwalbe Super Moto X (26x2.4") or maybe the Schwalbe Big Apple (26x2.35). These are both balloon types so they don't need/use a lot of air pressure, allowing them to provide an awesome ride as compared to many others. A VERY noticeable difference.... Seems a little counter intuitive with the lower pressures they can run at, but both score pretty well when it comes to rolling resistance. Super Moto X has the "Greenguard" flat protection for what's rated as superior, but I still run Slime in the tubes.

And speaking of Slime, if this thumping is something you feel more than you see, I have to wonder if it's not Slime or something in the tubes causing it (too much maybe?)? I have some I've been running with slime for quite a while without issue, but guessing anything is possible....

Your head mechanic may be up for a simple inner tube change as a try before going with new tires?

Schwalbe Smart Sams I believe, are more about off road than on. Concern would be regarding noise on paved surfaces? -Al

No slime, just air 😉. The tube in the rear tire was replaced after my staple incident because it kept leaking - the bumping preceded that change.

Sometimes when a tire is over pressurized it will warp. Usually it is due to is a faulty pressure gage on a pump, causing some internal delamination. Flat spots can also happen if a bike is sitting for a long time on totally flat tires.

If I were replacing tires I would do it as a set and same size as the original. Tubeless is the way to go I carry tiny plugs.
@PatriciaK what does your riding partner bike tech recommend?
He's also thinking 2 new tires.

I will second the assertion that "off-road" tires can offer additional utility where road tires slip around. Here in Denver, there's enough gravel & split asphalt to make me glad of riding off-road tires, despite all their downsides (drag, noise, treadwear).

Personally, I find putting slime in a tube with Schrader valves, to be less trouble than tubeless; though the weight savings & reduced drag, can be noteworthy.

Whatever brand & tread you get, it's also notable that tan sidewall tires have less rubber added to their sides, making them ever so slightly lighter & more supple, both of which translate to less energy wasted!

Does having the sidewall make the tire more susceptible to punctures or other issues?

Any ideas about latitude from the 2.35 aspect? Could I go to 2.3 or even 2.1, or do I need to stay exact?

Having a slight conflict of goals with my personal "mechanic", who always goes for the cheapest thing that will work, VS a balance of price and quality 😂😁😂.

Yes, plenty of latitude going smaller. The issues may start appearing when going larger. Going from 2.35 to 2.4 shouldn't be an issue, but sizes bigger than that should be approached with caution.

Any ideas about latitude from the 2.35 aspect? Could I go to 2.3 or even 2.1, or do I need to stay exact?
If you change the tyre width, the display readouts will slightly change. More important is that the tyre fits inside of your fenders. Too wide the tyre and it might not fit.

Yes, plenty of latitude going smaller. The issues may start appearing when going larger. Going from 2.35 to 2.4 shouldn't be an issue, but sizes bigger than that should be approached with caution.
I bought a 2.4 "Vitto"( similar name) it was huge on the standard rim.

I wouldn't go any bigger than the 2.35, but there are several options that are just a bit thinner - just getting my ducks in order before order 😉.

Thanks everyone for your ideas - will post my final options before pulling the trigger 😁.

Back