Replacement Bars Vado SL/Surly Corner Bar

TubbyBeast

Region
USA
I ride a Vado SL around Los Angeles. I often find myself wanting to get into a slightly more aero position (like I would with my analog bike, which has drop bars). But I also feel like I don't want to ride a Creo-type bike though traffic across the city - I like the upright position for visibility.

Does anyone think this would be a good option?

https://surlybikes.com/blog/the_surly_corner_bar_dropbar_mountain_bike_handlebar

I would wonder at what handlebar position would one mount the Specialized Turbo remote, which is a 22.2 mm ring and could not be mounted on the flat part of the bars.

I would wonder at what handlebar position would one mount the Specialized Turbo remote, which is a 22.2 mm ring and could not be mounted on the flat part of the bars.
Handlebar space does start to become an issue with all the do-dads folks can buy these days. Extra lights, gps, cell phone, remotes, bell...

Now I have no idea but wonder if the Creo's "bump" buttons for remote power control would work on some of their other bike models? I wonder if it uses the same coupler to plug inside? The "bumps" are fairly low profile and can be placed under the bars or wherever you want. We need an experimenter.

Handlebar space does start to become an issue with all the do-dads folks can buy these days. Extra lights, gps, cell phone, remotes, bell...

Now I have no idea but wonder if the Creo's "bump" buttons for remote power control would work on some of their other bike models? I wonder if it uses the same coupler to plug inside? The "bumps" are fairly low profile and can be placed under the bars or wherever you want. We need an experimenter.
The Vado SL remote is wired. I'm not sure whether Vado firmware is the same as Creo firmware, and probably it is not.

The Vado SL remote is wired. I'm not sure whether Vado firmware is the same as Creo firmware, and probably it is not.

So are the Creo remotes. They are wired and the wires enter the top tube and then connect to the "whatdoyoucallit" in the top tube. The term "remotes" when used to describe the Creo thingies is quite generous. They are not like TV remotes. They are hardwired into the bike's system.

does the TCD not function without the remote? obviously specialized sells the mount for the TCD in several sizes for the different bikes. the creo road remotes definitely have a different connector than the TCD. @Stefan Mikes what does the connection from the remote to the TCD look like? it looks hardwired. could you just use the buttons on the TCD itself instead?

mount.JPG

I ride a Vado SL around Los Angeles. I often find myself wanting to get into a slightly more aero position (like I would with my analog bike, which has drop bars). But I also feel like I don't want to ride a Creo-type bike though traffic across the city - I like the upright position for visibility.

Does anyone think this would be a good option?

https://surlybikes.com/blog/the_surly_corner_bar_dropbar_mountain_bike_handlebar

if you're trying to get really low, an H bar might be worth trying. a buddy of mine with a nice Ti mountain bike has an H bar and he can get super low. it's a funny position with your hands fairly close together but i believe that's what it's designed for... if you're just trying to get a little low, like the flat forearm position on the hoods (which for many people is actually more aero than drops!) something like the velo orange crazy bar seems better. nice looking bar, it's just ridiculously wide IMO.

@mschwett: Please do not confuse the TCU (the main SL controller located on the top tube) with the TCD which is a wireless display and is absolutely optional (I have replaced the TCD with a Wahoo ELEMNT).

You can operate the TCU by buttons on the top tube. The big question is what would happen if the "remote" has been disconnected from the TCU. If Vado SL continues working, it is the straight way to just convert a Vado SL into an "almost" Creo SL E5. At high cost, still far cheaper than buying a Creo.

1637356870369.png

Specialized handlebar remote, or the part that makes turning a Vado SL into Creo SL so hard. It is a hard ring of the internal diameter of 22.2 mm.

1637356990115.png

The stem of Vado SL replaced with Redshift StockStop one, and with Redshift Computer Mount (Wahoo) to totally replace the TCD with the ELEMNT Roam.

Last edited:
@mschwett: Please do not confuse the TCU (the main SL controller located on the top tube) with the TCD which is a wireless display and is absolutely optional (I have replaced the TCD with a Wahoo ELEMNT).

You can operate the TCU by buttons on the top tube. The big question is what would happen if the "remote" has been disconnected from the TCU. If Vado SL continues working, it is the straight way to just convert a Vado SL into an "almost" Creo SL E5. At high cost, still far cheaper than buying a Creo.

View attachment 107307
Specialized handlebar remote, or the part that makes turning a Vado SL into Creo SL so hard. It is a hard ring of the internal diameter of 22.2 mm.

View attachment 107308
The stem of Vado SL replaced with Redshift StockStop one, and with Redshift Computer Mount (Wahoo) to totally replace the TCD with the ELEMNT Roam.

what do those two buttons do? the pictures i saw showed them wired to something which looks like the TCD, but from what you’re saying they actually connect to the TCU, just like the blip remote buttons on a creo.

This is the WIRED Creo power "remote" kit. It apparently plugs into the TCU (top tube display and controller). One button Power UP and one button DOWN.

DSCF3122.JPG

i have one of those sitting in my desk too, daring me to install it! but more wires 😒
Well, one could yield a bit on the PRISTINE road bike sans anything except bar tape look and get gawd damned practical! :eek:

The shop installed mine and they left the two thin wires where they enter the top tube port loose. Now that did offend my sensibilities. Actually, I was more worried about those thin wires snagging one something. I used one of those kid jelly, coil spring bracelets as a wire wrap. I just snipped it, turning it from a closed circle to a linear coil and wrapped it around from near the handlebar to that port. I should probably do the same for those other cables. Does your Creo have internal cables for brakes/shift or the electronic shifters?

PXL_20211119_220937356.jpg

On my trek Allant 9 I have Surley’s Mokolov so occasionally I can stretch my back or duck under the wind in a descent. Some rewiring was necessary

what do those two buttons do? the pictures i saw showed them wired to something which looks like the TCD, but from what you’re saying they actually connect to the TCU, just like the blip remote buttons on a creo.
The Vado SL would be operated by the TCU if the remote is disconnected. The Vado SL would not have a way to shift to the walk mode or the one button full assist mode. The Vado SL remote can also be plugged in to the Creo but the walk mode button does not work. It's probably not enabled in the firmware.

The Creo remote buttons plug into a switch box and then to the wiring harness connector. They do it this way so they don't have to run a wire between the two handlebar buttons. It looks odd but it is a better design.

The Vado SL remote control just plugs into the wiring harness connector.

On my trek Allant 9 I have Surley’s Mokolov so occasionally I can stretch my back or duck under the wind in a descent. Some rewiring was necessary
Another option could be the origin 8 strongbow, a godsend on windy days
https://origin8.bike/products/strongbow

The Vado SL would be operated by the TCU if the remote is disconnected. The Vado SL would not have a way to shift to the walk mode or the one button full assist mode. The Vado SL remote can also be plugged in to the Creo but the walk mode button does not work. It's probably not enabled in the firmware.

The Creo remote buttons plug into a switch box and then to the wiring harness connector. They do it this way so they don't have to run a wire between the two handlebar buttons. It looks odd but it is a better design.

The Vado SL remote control just plugs into the wiring harness connector.
Just to summarize the functions of the Specialized handlebar remote for different e-bikes:
  • For Vado/Como pre-Mastermind: +/- for Assist Mode selection, top button for TCD page flipping, bottom button for lights on/off OR the high beam headlight, + button for Walk Mode
  • For Vado SL: +/- for Assist Mode selection, top button for Turbo mode engagement, bottom button for Walk Mode
  • For Mastermind e-bikes the top and bottom buttons have become F1 and F2 ones. The number of combinations of different buttons has become terrific: For instance, short press on F2 enables MicroTuning, that is, possibility to set the Assistance % as you ride (with + and - buttons).

Back