Replaced my rear shock.... again

ryukenden73

The DNM A05 is adjustable, but it uses a ball pin. Which, if you are like me, who keeps on adjusting the pressure - the rubber plug has been shredded and is leaking.

20210128_151143.jpg

20210128_151219.jpg

I've ordered a Schrader valve rebuild kit... in the meantime, i replaced the DNM with this shock and have been testing it ...

Rated at 650lbs and it's an oil shock with an adjustable spring and rebound screw

20210128_150608.jpg

Last edited:
Since getting the bike in early December, I've only been able to put about 60 miles on it but I read what you and others post with great interest. Come warmer weather, I plan on using the bike a lot so stuff like this has been informative. Thanks.

Sadly a $76.79 shock is $200 shy of what a decent shock will cost. These ebike builder direct purchase with budget parts all have substandard shocks.

I would like a rockshox... but I’m limited to 150mm...rockshox has a 152mm — but haven’t found any online

i tried going 165... but the top shock is touching the wiring .. and might cause a pinch break on the wires

Last edited:
I have the 165mm DNM rear shock in my bike since i have a fatter tire (4.8”) in the front. I’ve had no problems with the wires pinching or fraying. Great improved to the overall feel of the ride. It also allows me to have a little more air in the tires on the rocky trails. The rebound adjustment is also a great option to have 👍🏾.

Yeah. I was doing some measurements. The 165mm would fit if I drop the pressure. I was looking at the rockshox monarch .. still a bit pricey... $200

Here’s the one i have. DNM Damping 3 System Mountain... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLTZ2ZS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It’s been holding up pretty well, considering that I’m about 250lbs. I have the psi set higher than most, and it’s way better than the the stock shock.
Did this fit without modification? Also, any idea how it would handle trail riding, looking to upgrade but only if the cost justifies better performance out on the trails. And what I mean by trails is pretty much all mountain type mountain biking, intermediate to lower advanced trails, no jumps of course but plenty of technical trail riding.

thanks for any input

More comfort of rocky terrains. Rebound adjustment helps keep the bike planted. No modifications required in fitting, but it did require a little filings the paint on the lower bracket opening to fit the lower post.

More comfort of rocky terrains. Rebound adjustment helps keep the bike planted. No modifications required in fitting, but it did require a little filings the paint on the lower bracket opening to fit the lower post.
so i bought the rockshox monarch RT ($249)-- 165mm -- it's a tight fit, but again -- there is a extreme possibility of the wires being pinched -- i zipped tied the wires to the the upper mount and moved them all behind that "pocket"

1. the wires still have a tendency to move out of that "pocket" - it has enough clearance while you are riding, but once you get off the bike - since there is no load on the shock, it goes to the default position -- and will pinch the wires to the point that it will will break
2. i have the pressure set at 150 psi - and i am maxxing out the shock compression
3. i reused the OEM adaptors and had to retrofit them -- they were too loose -- so i wrapped them with teflon tape just to make them snug in the upper and lower holes of the shock.. it worked but, not for longterm

sadly, i am returning the shock and going back to the 150mm

so i bought the rockshox monarch RT ($249)-- 165mm -- it's a tight fit, but again -- there is a extreme possibility of the wires being pinched -- i zipped tied the wires to the the upper mount and moved them all behind that "pocket"

1. the wires still have a tendency to move out of that "pocket" - it has enough clearance while you are riding, but once you get off the bike - since there is no load on the shock, it goes to the default position -- and will pinch the wires to the point that it will will break
2. i have the pressure set at 150 psi - and i am maxxing out the shock compression
3. i reused the OEM adaptors and had to retrofit them -- they were too loose -- so i wrapped them with teflon tape just to make them snug in the upper and lower holes of the shock.. it worked but, not for longterm

sadly, i am returning the shock and going back to the 150mm
Good to know. I’m looking for a good 150mm rear shock as well to compare the 165mm shock with. Hoping to make the head tube angle 📐 a little more slack (currently around 71*). The stock 150mm is absolute trash, and bottoms out riding over a sidewalk crack.

Here’s the one i have. DNM Damping 3 System Mountain... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLTZ2ZS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It’s been holding up pretty well, considering that I’m about 250lbs. I have the psi set higher than most, and it’s way better than the the stock shock.
That’s the one I really really wanted. But I figured there is no way I would fit a shock with eye-to-eye 165mm on my bike.

So I went and bought this: Kindshock Kind Shock KS A5-RR1... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6M4HK9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share.
Should I return it if you got yours to fit? Any tips to get it to fit?

That’s the one I really really wanted. But I figured there is no way I would fit a shock with eye-to-eye 165mm on my bike.

So I went and bought this: Kindshock Kind Shock KS A5-RR1... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6M4HK9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share.
Should I return it if you got yours to fit? Any tips to get it to fit?
I had to use the hex wrench to leverage the rear shock into position. You could probably use a screwdriver 🪛 as well. I like the rebound adjustment on my current DNM shock, which is why i haven’t swapped it out yet. As soon as i find a 150mm with rebound adjustment, I’m gonna switch it out.

I had to use the hex wrench to leverage the rear shock into position. You could probably use a screwdriver 🪛 as well. I like the rebound adjustment on my current DNM shock, which is why i haven’t swapped it out yet. As soon as i find a 150mm with rebound adjustment, I’m gonna switch it out.
That was very helpful, thank you!

Back