Removing rear wheel with belt drive...puncture avoidance and field flat repair strategies

Still looking for a description of the complexity/difficulty of removing the rear wheel of belt driven R&M with Rolhoff or Enviolo.

I have watched YouTube videos about doing this, which make it appear easy. But I don't have the links right now. Sorry.
Hi chaps. Yup, I’ve also seen a couple on YouTube. Here’s a link to the most recent I remember. Soz... my Flemish isn’t that good 🤪. But a picture says a thousand words as they say. Mike.

PS. The chap sorts out the Vario at 12.15 and the Rohloff at 15.40

Last edited:
You don't have to remove the rear wheel to repair a flat tire:

The biggest challenge I've had with fixing flats on R&M bikes (a 2017 R&M Charger to be exact) in the field is that the rims and tires are quite tight and getting the bead to reset with a mini-pump can be an exercise in frustration.

Also, finding where the hole in the tube is on a noisy highway shoulder can be a bit of work.

Just watched the video that Mike has posted and it looks really easy for the Rohloff which is what I will be getting. Its good the E14 comes off with the wheel.

I found GAADI tubes available on Amazon.
Of course you will have to cut the old tube in two to get it out before fitting the new GAADI, something their website does not mention. I am reading this as I go my first puncture in my Superdelite yesterday after 400 miles but luckily it was in the front. It was only a tiny thorn that went through the Rock Razors. I have some Tannus on the way. I have found that tubeless certainly prevents some flats but thorns still seem to defeat it by staying in the tyre and jiggling around. I Have used Mr Tuffy strips and they are pretty good but I have had cases where it has deflected a thorn and let it enter the side of the tube. The difficulty with the full suspension bike is that you are fighting the tensioner spring at the front whist trying to get the wheel back on. Of course you can release some of the tension by adjusting the wheel at the back but this involves a long Allen key to get into the adjustment hole after you have loosened the retaining bolts. Has anyone ridden a deflated tyre home with the Tannus system?

Last edited:
Of course you will have to cut the old tube in two to get it out before fitting the new GAADI, something their website does not mention. I am reading this as I go my first puncture in my Superdelite yesterday after 400 miles but luckily it was in the front. It was only a tiny thorn that went through the Rock Razors. I have some Tannus on the way. I have found that tubeless certainly prevents some flats but thorns still seem to defeat it by staying in the tyre and jiggling around. I Have used Mr Tuffy strips and they are pretty good but I have had cases where it has deflected a thorn and let it enter the side of the tube. The difficulty with the full suspension bike is that you are fighting the tensioner spring at the front whist trying to get the wheel back on. Of course you can release some of the tension by adjusting the wheel at the back but this involves a long Allen key to get into the adjustment hole after you have loosened the retaining bolts. Has anyone ridden a deflated tyre home with the Tannus system?
Knock on wood we have had no flats with Tannus. I think David Berry managed to get one though. I believe he gashed the tire and took a big chunk out of it, Now he uses Tannus ,slime ,rim tape and puncture resistant tires.

Knock on wood we have had no flats with Tannus. I think David Berry managed to get one though. I believe he gashed the tire and took a big chunk out of it, Now he uses Tannus ,slime ,rim tape and puncture resistant tires.

I had a rear flat on my Trek Allant+ with Tannus. It looked like a finishing nail stuck deep into the tread. Very small diameter and copper in color. Tire was repaired last week by my LBS. I asked them to save the nail so I could post a picture but the message didn't make it to the mechanic so I didn't get the nail back.

I had a rear flat on my Trek Allant+ with Tannus. It looked like a finishing nail stuck deep into the tread. Very small diameter and copper in color. Tire was repaired last week by my LBS. I asked them to save the nail so I could post a picture but the message didn't make it to the mechanic so I didn't get the nail back.
I wished I could have seen a pic. Can you expand on your description of the flat? What type and size tires do you have? How long was the nail and was the puncture straight in from the middle of the tire or on the sidewall etc...? Could you continue to ride it and limp home ? Thanks in advance.

I wished I could have seen a pic. Can you expand on your description of the flat? What type and size tires do you have? How long was the nail and was the puncture straight in from the middle of the tire or on the sidewall etc...? Could you continue to ride it and limp home ? Thanks in advance.

The Allant 9.9s has Bontrager tires 27.5 x 2.4. Same size as Schwalbe Super Moto-X which were stock on the Allant's predecessor the SC8. I believe the Bontrager's are a bit lighter in weight and perhaps that is due to less flat protection but not sure.

Anyway, I didn't know about the nail when I picked it up or while riding. I did a short 10 mile Friday ride and cleaned the bike on Friday night - during the cleaning I noticed no loss of air pressure. Saturday I geared up for a ride and found the rear tire mostly flat. There was enough air left or cushion from the Tannus to ride at slow speed - just as they advertise. I found the head of the nail in the center track of the tread and even too deep to pull out with other than maybe some needlenose pliers. I did think it odd that the nail or whatever it was went straight in and almost dead center. It seems like a very tiny diameter nail like that would be laying in the street and you'd roll over it and maybe get something from an angle.

Odd thing too is that after I found the tire mostly flat, I pumped it back up to 40 psi. After about 3 days, it was down to about 25 psi (bike didn't move during that period). So weird that it initially went flat overnight but then held most of its air for 3 days. When I got an appointment at my LBS, I pumped it back up to 40 and rode it the one mile to the shop. I have Tannus tubes on order so I'll have some spares on hand going forward.

You can also get the Huffy linear inner tubes, much like the Giaddi, on amazon. Living in the Upper Midwest, I buy them at the Meijers superstores and they were a lot less.

The Allant 9.9s has Bontrager tires 27.5 x 2.4. Same size as Schwalbe Super Moto-X which were stock on the Allant's predecessor the SC8. I believe the Bontrager's are a bit lighter in weight and perhaps that is due to less flat protection but not sure.

Anyway, I didn't know about the nail when I picked it up or while riding. I did a short 10 mile Friday ride and cleaned the bike on Friday night - during the cleaning I noticed no loss of air pressure. Saturday I geared up for a ride and found the rear tire mostly flat. There was enough air left or cushion from the Tannus to ride at slow speed - just as they advertise. I found the head of the nail in the center track of the tread and even too deep to pull out with other than maybe some needlenose pliers. I did think it odd that the nail or whatever it was went straight in and almost dead center. It seems like a very tiny diameter nail like that would be laying in the street and you'd roll over it and maybe get something from an angle.

Odd thing too is that after I found the tire mostly flat, I pumped it back up to 40 psi. After about 3 days, it was down to about 25 psi (bike didn't move during that period). So weird that it initially went flat overnight but then held most of its air for 3 days. When I got an appointment at my LBS, I pumped it back up to 40 and rode it the one mile to the shop. I have Tannus tubes on order so I'll have some spares on hand going forward.
That is very good info thanks! I have read that the front tire will kick up the nail or screw and the back tire can then hit it point first. I think the Super Moto X is better at flat protection than the Bontragers but the nail may have gone thru them also, who can say? Glad you could still ride it!

Last edited:
...I think the Super Moto X is better at flat protection than the Bontragers but the nail may have gone thru them also who can say? Glad you could still ride it!

I have just over 7,000 miles on Super Moto X with no flats (various bikes) versus 750 on the new Bontrager tires (w Tannus) and my first flat. Of course it could be sheer chance. But if I get more and it starts to look like a trend with the Bontragers then I will change them out. I do like the handling of the Bontragers.

I was disappointed that this small piece of glass made it through the green guard and into the tube stranded me and the Super Delight. I rode Schwalbe marathons 6000 miles with one flat, and that took a large hunk of steel. I guess its time to consider inserts.

Attachments

• 61773699884__AAB74F16-537B-4512-8A7E-C11A3BADECE0.JPG
    61773699884__AAB74F16-537B-4512-8A7E-C11A3BADECE0.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 259
My experience has been that I am extremely lucky to get 2000 miles on any set of tires. A lot of that is because I ride on atrocious roads. When I ride further than that on a set of tires there is typically a flat explosion (multiple flats in a very short time period).

I have also noticed that the very stout Schwalbe e-bike tires become a lot less stout after about 1000 miles and are usually kind of droopy by 2000 miles. Not really a flat problem but ride feel isn't exactly what I like by then.

I was disappointed that this small piece of glass made it through the green guard and into the tube stranded me and the Super Delight. I rode Schwalbe marathons 6000 miles with one flat, and that took a large hunk of steel. I guess its time to consider inserts.

That is what a tire boot is for.

Back