REI vs LBS

I've noticed that REI has the same ST1 as at the LBS dealer. REI is local, the LBS for Stromer is actually 90 miles away. What would be the better place? The LBS which sells and has certified Stromer techs, or go local at REI which can get the bike but they sounded vague about repairs. I hate to drive 90 miles, but REI might have to send it out for motor problems and they might not even do that. PS...it's 300 dollars cheaper at REI. Any thoughts appreciated.
Rich

Always without a doubt buy your bike where you can get the proper work done on it with qualified mechanics and even though the price might seem higher at first ...you won't regret it. Service counts way more when you will need it. So always weigh out all the pros and cons to the situation. Took me the hard way to figure out service counts so much more than price....good luck and enjoy the ride!

Talk with that local bike shop and see if there's some negotiating room on the bike price. Most shops have a little wiggle room on the price and want to keep you as a long term customer.

Rather than just judge one call to REI, go there in person and speak with the bike dept. manager about how many of their techs have ebike specific training and how long those techs have been working on electric bikes.

In either situation, someone who's spent a number of years working on a variety of ebike brands will be your best support over the life of your ebike. Brand specific training is good but is generally only a day or two of technical classes and is no substitute for experience. If you do decide to buy from the shop that's further from you, ask them if there are upgrades to prevent flats or other things they would recommend be done prior to you taking the bike home to reduce trips back to the shop. Also ask them about regular maintenance that they would recommend that you do at home to keep your bike in peak condition. I can't emphasize how many of my customers over 17 years didn't do simple things like properly airing the tires and cleaning & lubricating the chain or wiping down their bike after riding in rain or muddy conditions. A little preventative maintenance would've saved them a lot of $$ on repairs :)

Always without a doubt buy your bike where you can get the proper work done on it with qualified mechanics and even though the price might seem higher at first ...you won't regret it. Service counts way more when you will need it. So always weigh out all the pros and cons to the situation. Took me the hard way to figure out service counts so much more than price....good luck and enjoy the ride!
All very true IF the LBS does indeed stand by and can service the bikes they sell - many don't.

Alphbetadog, I think your statement is a little overreaching. Most real shops that want to stay in business for long do handle warranty issues and service the product they sell, otherwise they would be no different than a warehouse biz. There are some who sell ebikes as a sideline and don't focus on the service; however, it's easy to figure that out with a few simple questions to the shop owner or manager.

It is hard to figure out how an 'LBS' (Local Bike Shop) could be 90 miles away.

I'd go with REI. Talk to them first, by all means, but my own experiences with REI have generally been pretty positive and their repair people are generally fairly well-trained. That, of course, can depend on which store you are dealing with (some people think REI started going downhill in the '70s when they opened more than one store).

Disclaimer: 3rd-generation REI member.

The LBS which sells and has certified Stromer techs, or go local at REI which can get the bike but they sounded vague about repairs. I hate to drive 90 miles,

The ST1 has been discontinued in Europe. One of the reasons was the potential higher risk for errors. With this in mind, I would buy at the wholesale next to your home. If you ran into trouble, you can go there just after work and there is a chance for a replacement bike. The ST1 has the classic display; ask the bike mechanic, how to set the sensor sensitivity or the strength of the motor brake. If he knows instantly, you're in good hands.

upload_2016-6-10_21-17-41-png.6367

Mr Coffee, I live near Pittsburgh. If you check the Stomer Store Locater you'll see one to the west in Ohio is 90 miles, the next closest 100 miles in Cleveland. Not many stores sell Stromers, so that's as local as they get.

I’m confused and new. Won’t a LBS work on your Stromer for repairs and maintenance, even though you bought it somewhere else? There’s a retailer near me where I test rode an ST1, but I plan on looking for the best new Stromer I can find (i.e., Crazy Lenny’s) and if the LBS can’t match, I still intend on bring it in for maintenance and repairs due to their training and experience with the brand.

I think due to warranty and liability issues only certified techs are allowed to work on certain aspects of a particular brand of ebike.

Unless you are getting a whale of a deal on the ST-1, check around and look for good price on an ST-2. THere is a big difference between the two. I originally started with the “Limited” on a 60 day trial, returned it to jump up to the ST-2. Some the best money I ever spent...

My LBS is a Stromer retailer, but I don’t believe they can beat the prices I’m seeing online.

....There’s a retailer near me where I test rode an ST1, but I plan on looking for the best new Stromer I can find (i.e., Crazy Lenny’s) and if the LBS can’t match, I still intend on bring it in for maintenance and repairs due to their training and experience with the brand.

Local Bike Shops [and brick & mortar businesses in general] have a special name for consumers who do that. It isn't a label you would want them to remember every time you brought your bike in for service. Some brands utilize a serial number registry. When a bike is logged in for repair it isn't uncommon for it to come up on the network. Just like with cars, they will know its service record and the source.

If you buy on line you wil pay labor for warranty and part will be supplied , if You buy locally I would assume the warranty labor is included. Usually you get some additional benifuits, 1st year free adjustments, priority no wait service esecially for smaller items, what ever it takes to make the customer go local ...ask the shop what is included.

I bought on line, had avg to less than avg luck w/the bike . Still saved money in the long run paying for repairs but didnt get the "local" warm fuzzies. We just picked up our st2s form the local , helping on the repairs to our other Stromers too

If your LBS actually knows how to adjust your bike and fit it to you, that is a very good reason to purchase a bicycle from them. Most shops don't know how to do this well. It is amazing how very tiny adjustments in seat position and stem height can make a huge difference in how the bike feels and how efficient your pedaling efforts will be.

I have a circle of friends who are hardcore bike tourers, some whom are former racers and bike techs. I'll typically borrow one of their bikes when I tour with them. Then during the first days of the ride one of them will ride behind me for a while, stop me and make small (and to me mysterious) adjustments to the bike and it will be like riding a completely different bike. So there are some advantages of going on a tour with the hard core, but longer rest stops certainly isn't one of them.

Local Bike Shops [and brick & mortar businesses in general] have a special name for consumers who do that. It isn't a label you would want them to remember every time you brought your bike in for service. Some brands utilize a serial number registry. When a bike is logged in for repair it isn't uncommon for it to come up on the network. Just like with cars, they will know its service record and the source.

From the Yelp reviews of this LBS and Stromer retailer, seems like a lot of their Stromer customers purchased their bikes elsewhere but bring it to this LBS due to the excellent service particularly from a specific technician. I’d love to buy from them and hope they can at least match the best offer I can get.

Back