Reduce throttle start up.

My guess - it depends! :)
You can load a single file that sounds like it might work for you in less than 5 minutes if you know what you're doing/have a file. If you're going to do it a line at a time, it took me about half an hour to load the entire "Soft" setup, which included the 4th page used on Ultra motors.

I would advise you to clear at least a couple of hours from your schedule for your first time around. This is not the place to be if you are in any kind of hurry or have a lot of distractions early on. Like many other things, it does get easier as you build some confidence/collect some experience.

Thanks. I haven't had time with too many things going on...
I figured a couple of hours blocked off to complete.
The actual time to connect your laptop to the bike and load a file to the controller is just 5 minutes.
But before you do that you should load the software to your laptop and configure the file and save it. Also connect the adapter cable to your laptop and make sure windows loads the drivers automatically. And don't forget that the first thing to do when you connect to your bike for the first time is to read the current file on the controller and save it with a unique file name. If you are computer savvy you can do this in an hour.

I'm computer savvy, having retired with 20 years in IT, and it took me an hour just to get the laptop to read the stupid controller! REALLY frustrating, and I hear that frequently (not just me). In the end though, it's nearly always something really stupid. That's why I mention you don't want to be in a hurry here.

The actual time to connect your laptop to the bike and load a file to the controller is just 5 minutes.
But before you do that you should load the software to your laptop and configure the file and save it. Also connect the adapter cable to your laptop and make sure windows loads the drivers automatically. And don't forget that the first thing to do when you connect to your bike for the first time is to read the current file on the controller and save it with a unique file name. If you are computer savvy you can do this in an hour.
Thanks
That's helpfully information.
Well see how it goes.
All of you have given me a great deal of help and info. A lot to digest

I'm computer savvy, having retired with 20 years in IT, and it took me an hour just to get the laptop to read the stupid controller! REALLY frustrating, and I hear that frequently (not just me). In the end though, it's nearly always something really stupid. That's why I mention you don't want to be in a hurry here.

I don't know why... but this stuff typically comes easy to me and I have no formal training other than as an electrician. My last 10 years of working I was a Facilities Manager and I worked closely with IT and I designed, built and managed a new server room as well as management of my own servers and security hardware. I was also into building high-end HTPC when that was a thing.

That said @looseheadset.. take your time and if you run into a roadblock just take a break and don't be in a rush to get it done. Patience with any first time endeavor is key.
One note on the software... The File/Save As function seems to have a gremlin. The Save and Open work without issue. So my work around to this is to copy and paste an existing file into the same folder and then rename it before opening. Then when I'm done making changes I Save it and close the software before connecting to the bike
Another known issue is that the software might not see the correct port in the drop down if you have the software running when you plug into your bike. So first plug everything in, and then open the software.
Other than that it works as any other typical Windows program and you shouldn't have much of a problem once you get your feet wet.
Al, I and others are standing by for 24/7 tech support🙃

I don't know why... but this stuff typically comes easy to me and I have no formal training other than as an electrician. My last 10 years of working I was a Facilities Manager and I worked closely with IT and I designed, built and managed a new server room as well as management of my own servers and security hardware. I was also into building high-end HTPC when that was a thing.

That said @looseheadset.. take your time and if you run into a roadblock just take a break and don't be in a rush to get it done. Patience with any first time endeavor is key.
One note on the software... The File/Save As function seems to have a gremlin. The Save and Open work without issue. So my work around to this is to copy and paste an existing file into the same folder and then rename it before opening. Then when I'm done making changes I Save it and close the software before connecting to the bike
Another known issue is that the software might not see the correct port in the drop down if you have the software running when you plug into your bike. So first plug everything in, and then open the software.
Other than that it works as any other typical Windows program and you shouldn't have much of a problem once you get your feet wet.
Thanks for the tips. This is a first for me.

I found a you tube that was interesting.
"Hack an E-bike: How to program the Bafang mid drive"
Question: The display is turned off during programming correct?
Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions.

your display will be disconnected from the bike to give you a place to plug in your programming cable.....

Im excited to turn the bike into something I enjoy riding.
I don't enjoy or ride the bike the way it is now.
I have nothing to lose re programming the controller.

Im excited to turn the bike into something I enjoy riding.
I don't enjoy or ride the bike the way it is now.
I have nothing to lose re programming the controller.
Believe me... You'll be amazed on how much more manageable the power is with the changes.
If my settings don't suit you, please let us know what's not working the way you want and we can help you personalize them. After all, my settings are personalized for me, my bike, terain and style of riding.

No hurry though, right?
:)

Sometimes the windows USB driver needs to be updated to work with specific cables. I had to try a couple drivers with my Amazon-purchased cable until I found the right one that worked.

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/bafang-usb-driver.42522/

I did have to do 2 specific things to get my cable connected to my Ultra:

1. After the cable was connected the first time, windows installed stock drivers that didn't work. Checked the "optional updates" in Windows update, and a new one was sitting there waiting.
2. I also had to choose "Run as administrator" to get the Frey app to allow me to change the com port. Worked great after that.

Back