Reduce throttle start up.

1 - 3 depending on terrain.
I use all 9 PAS and thus they are tightly spaced with smaller increases between which allows me to pick a specific cadence for various situations
Does your throttle come on gradually on PAS 9 setting? I have the thumb throttle switch do I need to switch to a twist grip throttle switch

Does your throttle come on gradually on PAS 9 setting? I have the thumb throttle switch do I need to switch to a twist grip throttle switch
PAS 9 gives me full range of the motor as I have it set. If you look at Page 1 you will see that I limit the motor to 20a.
Then if you look at page 3 you will see that the Throttle Start Current is set to 10% or 2a
This means that the throttle range is 2a to 20a...and gradual enough for me. If it's too abrupt from the start, you can set your Start Current even lower.
You don't need to change your throttle to a twist grip... But then you shouldn't adjust the Start and End Voltage as 11 and 42 are the typical settings for the thumb throttle on page 3

A lot of these settings interact with each other so it's good to ride changes for a while to fully understand what's changed.
One being the Stop Decay. A setting of 100 not only smooths out PAS but seems to soften the start of the Throttle as well.

Last edited:
PAS 9 gives me full range of the motor as I have it set. If you look at Page 1 you will see that I limit the motor to 20a.
Then if you look at page 3 you will see that the Throttle Start Current is set to 10% or 2a
This means that the throttle range is 2a to 20a...and gradual enough for me. If it's too abrupt from the start, you can set your Start Current even lower.
You don't need to change your throttle to a twist grip... But then you shouldn't adjust the Start and End Voltage as 11 and 42 are the typical settings for the thumb throttle on page 3

A lot of these settings interact with each other so it's good to ride changes for a while to fully understand what's changed.
One being the Stop Decay. A setting of 100 not only smooths out PAS but seems to soften the start of the Throttle as well.
Thanks. You're a wealth of help. 😊

Thanks. You're a wealth of help. 😊

Thanks. You're a wealth of help. 😊d PAS
HI
I copied down all your settings and hope to change my data next week when I can do it without interuption.
Questions :
Values for Designated assist level & Speed Limit is "By Days command" . Is that a value or speed put in by the cyclist?
For Stop Decay you have 0 but then you said you changed it to 100 to smooth out throttle and PAS changes.
I was planning on setting it 100.
I really appreciate your help. I'm not sure I would of taken on this on by myself. My bike as it is now is not fun. I'm too old to be doing wheelies on inclines. Most of my rides have been on PAS 2 .
Picture is of a hill I ride on PAS 2. Other hills in my neighborhood get up to 9 % grade. My driveway is probably a level 6%. I'll be taking my bike to a big parking lot for a test ride.
20210815_075821.jpg

HI
I copied down all your settings and hope to change my data next week when I can do it without interuption.
Questions :
Values for Designated assist level & Speed Limit is "By Days command" . Is that a value or speed put in by the cyclist?
For Stop Decay you have 0 but then you said you changed it to 100 to smooth out throttle and PAS changes.
I really appreciate your help. I'm not sure I would of taken on this on by myself. My bike as it is now is not fun. I'm too old to be doing wheelies on inclines. Most of my rides have been on PAS 2 .
Picture is of a hill I ride on PAS 2. Other hills in my neighborhood get up to 9 % grade. My driveway is probably a level 6%. I'll be taking my bike to a big parking lot for a test ride.View attachment 98248

Questions :
Yes... These values are settings in the display set by the cyclest. You'll need to access the settings menu of the display itself.. a totally separate process.
Yes that thread is about a year old. If you read the entire thread you'll see that I made updates over time. I am now using a Stop Decay of 100 and updated my most recent settings this morning... Latest on page 7. Perhaps a good idea to read the thread for input from others.

When you first load the software and are connected to your controller.. do a Read Flash by clicking the button on the bottom right of the software window. This is different than the default values that load with the software.
This will import all of your controller's current settings so you can see how it's programed now. Probably not a bad idea to save these as a file and then make the changes you want and save the changes as a different file with an updated file name.

Last edited:
Questions :
Yes... These values are settings in the display set by the cyclest. You'll need to access the settings menu of the display itself.. a totally separate process.
Yes that thread is about a year old. If you read the entire thread you'll see that I made updates over time. I am now using a Stop Decay of 100 and updated my most recent settings this morning... Latest on page 7. Perhaps a good idea to read the thread for input from others.

When you first load the software and are connected to your controller.. do a Read Flash by clicking the button on the bottom right of the software window. This is different than the default values that load with the software.
This will import all of your controller's current settings so you can see how it's programed now. Probably not a bad idea to save these as a file and then make the changes you want and save the changes as a different file with an updated file name.
Hi again
I hope to tear into my bafang this weekend
What should I set my thumb throttle for start voltage and end volume ?
On your bike..
If you are in assist level 5 and you turn on the throttle will throttle run at lower speed than on level 9??
Thanks again.

Questions :

I tried to change the number of assiist levels from 3 to 9 on the display in advanced menu and the letters "UMB" came up. I was told not to touch that as it might kill the unit.
How do I change from 3 to level 9

I'm not familiar with your display and what I can tell, it's not one of the better available. I couldn't find any instructions that weren't in some of the worst Chinglish I've ever seen.. So not having the display in front of me as well, it gave me a headache 🙃
Did it give you an option for 5 PAS?
I'd leave the throttle Start and End Voltage alone unless you are able to measure the actual output with a meter. Some are easier to open and check then others. What type do you have?
As far as which level the Throttle will function at is part of the programming. I have mine set to PAS 9 so I have full range and full power as that is what I have my PAS 9 set to. You can also set it to a lower PAS and these will operate at those levels no matter what the display is currently set to. You can also set the throttle to By Displays Command and then the throttle will operate at what ever the setting on the display is.

I'm not familiar with your display and what I can tell, it's not one of the better available. I couldn't find any instructions that weren't in some of the worst Chinglish I've ever seen.. So not having the display in front of me as well, it gave me a headache 🙃
Did it give you an option for 5 PAS?
I'd leave the throttle Start and End Voltage alone unless you are able to measure the actual output with a meter. Some are easier to open and check then others. What type do you have?
As far as which level the Throttle will function at is part of the programming. I have mine set to PAS 9 so I have full range and full power as that is what I have my PAS 9 set to. You can also set it to a lower PAS and these will operate at those levels no matter what the display is currently set to. You can also set the throttle to By Displays Command and then the throttle will operate at what ever the setting on the display is.
I I sent a message to Em3ev for advise.
I was told by a local shop manager that if those letters came up not to change or mess with it.
Well see what they say.
Thanks for your help.
20210825_143537.jpg

From what I gather you should have the typical PAS options which are 3/5/9/UMB and you should be able to scroll through and select the option you want.

From what I gather you should have the typical PAS options which are 3/5/9/UMB and you should be able to scroll through and select the option you want.
Do I select the option on the display or after I hook up the cable to the lap top.
What does UMB do or mean?

You were correct. I scrolled down and I now have 1 thru 9 PAS.
I hope to start filling the data points soon.
Thanks again for your help. I just wasn't born knowing this stuff. I'm happy I found this forum.

You were correct. I scrolled down and I now have 1 thru 9 PAS.
I hope to start filling the data points soon.
Thanks again for your help. I just wasn't born knowing this stuff. I'm happy I found this forum.
Sometimes it just takes a little patience and going over it a few times for it to all make sense.
In 6 months you'll be giving assistance 👍

Sometimes it just takes a little patience and going over it a few times for it to all make sense.
In 6 months you'll be giving assistance 👍
Joseph at em3ev said if the battery came with the motor I should keep my display at 3 not 9.
I'm waiting for the reason why.

Joseph at em3ev said if the battery came with the motor I should keep my display at 3 not 9.
I'm waiting for the reason why.
Whatever reason he comes back with, if he even does come back with an answer, it's an opinion. There is no hard cold fact that would ever bear that idea out......

Back