Recommended Long Distance Commuter (Australian Market)

foldingfusilier

Hi all

New to the forum, and like many out there, researching the right bike for my needs.

I live in Australia and laws limit all road-legal e-bikes to 25 km (15.5 miles). My commute is approx 28 km one-way on a mix of hard-packed gravel trails (5 km), smooth-ish bitumen bike paths (15 km) and road (8 km). Intention is to ride in and back 3-4 times a week. I'm early 40s, relatively fit and currently ride a steel all-road bike with carbon fork in and back 1 - 2 days a week but mileage varies. I live in a really hilly area on the outskirts of Melbourne, so the e-bike assist will get me through on those long commutes when I'm feeling less energetic after a long day in the office, or at least that's the thinking. I have charging facilities in the office, so that makes things easier battery-life wise.

Price-wise, I'm looking at under 4k AUD, but would consider stretching if the cost-to-value makes sense.

Bikes available in the Australian market which I'm considering are -

* Focus Aventura
* Kalkhoff Voyager Move B8
* Trek Conduit+
* Cube Cross Hybrid Pro Allroad

Also open to other recommendations, but ultimately (outside of the Trek with its rigid fork), I'm thinking suspension fork for long distance comfort, front and rear lights (either integrated or running via dynamo), and pannier rack and mudguards to make this truly an all-weather machine. Has anyone any experience doing long rides on a urban-style rigid-fork commuter like the Trek? Yay or nay? How does the Shimano Steps system compare with the Bosch?

I understand the Aventura and the Voyager are near-identical bikes (owned by the same parent company and identical frame), however the Kalkhoff has a Performance Line Bosch motor (Cruise) but I prefer the look of the Focus and the lower spec Bosch Active Line motor may result in longer range and a lighter ride. The lock-out fork on the Aventura also appeals (missing with the Kalkhoff unfortunately).

Cheers
Charles

Back