Recommendations for ebike (lbs options... Trek, Giant)

riding4fun&health

Region
USA
Hi, wife & I are looking at 2 different e-bikes from our local bike stores, Giant Explore E+ 2 GTS and Trek Allant+ 7S. Would appreciate any recommendations and advice between these two bikes. These would be our 1st e-bikes, recently retired ages 66 & 64. Would be used almost exclusively on paved trails, we have some really nice trails developed next to the Arkansas river (21 mile loop). Goal to ride 3 times a week, about an hour and a half per ride a guess. The trails are 90% flat with a few climbs over the river dam bridge. https://www.traillink.com/trail-gallery/arkansas-river-trail/ We currently walk for exsercise and want to start riding also... budgeting between $3,500 to $4,500 per bike. If you need other info for a recommendation, just ask & I will supply. Great forum, have been reading a lot and want to get bikes from a lbs that can service them. Will be buying soon & will post pics & reviews of our bikes - thanks in advance ! https://www.traillink.com/trail/arkansas-river-trail/#trail-detail-about Giant Explore E+ 2 GTS or Trek Allant+ 7S

Well posed question with information about where and how you plan to ride and two good choices already investigated. I would say that it is hard to go wrong with Trek. Good company, lots of stores everywhere. Well designed bikes. Giant make some nice bikes too but It is hard to do better on the ebike electric components than Bosch.

One of the best things about buying from a LBS (local bike shop) is the opportunity to test ride before purchase. This also gives you chance to get a feel for the staff and support you might get from each shop.

One of the key factors is after purchase service. I would suggest looking into t which shop has the best reputation for service and support.

You guys are in for some great fun and good healthy excercise together.

Links to Trek and Giant spec pages of these two bikes... https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ectric-hybrid-bikes/allant/allant-7s/p/31929/ https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/explore-eplus-2-gts-28mph-2021 (Thanks for the reply Alaskan !) hoping some feedback from the members of ebr... will help me make a decision... I have test rode both of these bikes this week and liked them both. The Giant (yamaha) motor was more quiet, but not a deal breaker, where the Trek has 85 Nm torque, and the Giant SyncDrive Life has 60 Nm, trying to decide how much weight should I be putting on this (torque) aspect? Both local bike shop have very good reputations and I talked to ownership/management at both (the Trek store was owned by Trek) and feel good about both. Feedback here I am hoping will help me make a final decision.

Attachments

• MY21ExploreEplus2GTS_ColorAMetallicNavy.jpeg
    MY21ExploreEplus2GTS_ColorAMetallicNavy.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 168
  • AllantPlus7SUS_20_31929_A_Portrait.jpeg
    AllantPlus7SUS_20_31929_A_Portrait.jpeg
    443.3 KB · Views: 176
Either of these bikes should serve you well. The components are pretty similar, especially the drive train. The Trek has a slightly higher maximum assist level, 340% compared to 300%, but this would only matter if you were climbing steep hills or wanting to maximize speed into wind or uphill. On flat ground, the class three bike limit would set your max.
I agree with Alaskan that the LBS matters a lot if you're not going to do your own service. Ask about price and turnaround. Beyond that, fit matters too. That's why test rides and return policy matters. For example, when we bought our Allant 8s in 2021, a 30 day return policy sealed the deal. We were able to try the bikes on our local hills, which are steep and plentiful.
A side note: we found bike trails and paths in our area to be pretty boring (and some are crowded...), so we do our riding on local secondary roads. Our favorite rides go past a number of lakes with a restaurant at the midpoint. Of course we live in a rural area without much traffic if you're not on a numbered road.

Hi, wife & I are looking at 2 different e-bikes from our local bike stores, Giant Explore E+ 2 GTS and Trek Allant+ 7S.
Good choices! I have ~4,500 miles on my 7s. Your riding schemes are similar. We also invested in a Kuat carrier — if you don’t have one, a carrier is something you may need to consider as to how to get your new bikes home.

AD5A1116-5D05-4E1B-BC88-2F368AF6F332.jpeg

Fantastic enquiry , you've researched well. Both are great bikes from established manufacturers, the question is can you justify the 20% premium for the trek?

If it was me, I'd be trying to justify the trek - especially if I was carrying extra weight / loads / higher speeds.

Little things, but the solid axle on the front wheel will make for more precise steering than a QR , and give you MUCH better options down the track if you decide to upgrade forks ( all the high quality forks use through axle) , the 4 pot shimano 520 brakes offer fantastic feel , slightly more power, and MUCH better pad life ( larger pads) .

Admittedly I despise the alex rims on that trek - so if you intend to run tubeless in the future be prepared for a difficult conversion ( not impossible, but you have to be extremely careful with the tape) . I do prefer the trek hubs compared with giant - they're easier to maintain / service ( again, just shed time or needing a more skilled mechanic at the lbs)

Trek has arguably better build quality than giant - probably not an issue on these bikes but they put a bit more thought into frame design - eg if you look at the rear axle / chainstays the trek has the welds / weak po8nts/ further apart / a n a lower stress area ( more difficult to manufacture but one less failure point) . It's highly unlikely that a normal person will brake either of these frames, but I find it reassuring to see that level of thought. Eg On their dual suspension mountain bikes they have bushes at the linkages rather than just alloy on alloy 4 years later this can result in some flex on a giant ( at least my extremely abused giant)

Both bosch and giant ( yamaha) are reasonably reliable motors, but be aware giant warranty is not a rolling warranty like yamaha offers on yamaha bikes - ie if the motor is replaced on the last day of warranty, you don't get an extra 2 years. Giant warranty is not transferable to new owners - so if you decide to upgrade there will be no warranty for the next buyer. You'll have to ask about trek, but know specialized warranty IS transferable ( and a rolling warranty on the motor)

I THINK trek warranty covers consumables like bearings - giant doesn't ( I had wheel bearings fail within 3 weeks on my giant ! )

I think giant parts are generally cheaper to replace than trek, so eg if the battery dies out of warranty it's generally cheaper for giant.

ya the Alex rims I wore one out in 8000 miles on my bulls. I wish they put a through axle on back I love them o the back makes it so much easier.

Alex rims
Sorry for the OT post, but...
ALL? I have several pairs of double wall and they have been hammered.

As a 8 year veteran of eBike forums, my unscientific opinion and observations are that Trek has less posts seeking help to solve issues. I personally know a few Trek riders and their bikes have been amazingly reliable. If I could pedal and use torque sensing it’d be my choice. I especially liked the Trek Electra bike’s and have ridden them.

Last edited:
As a 8 year veteran of eBike forums, my unscientific opinion and observations are that Trek has less posts seeking help to solve issues. I personally know a few Trek riders and their bikes have been amazingly reliable. If I could pedal and use torque sensing it’d be my choice. I especially liked the Trek Electra bike’s and have ridden them.
Yea, I've made the same observation - you see very few posts of problems or complaints about Trek bikes, outside the smartphone hub used on the 8s.

If they are LBS bikes go test ride both before you spend any money and buy the one you prefer!
I have never tried either but if i had to choose without a test ride i would go Trek because of the Motor Brand and Apps

From comfort point of view Trek has better fork and fatter tires. Fatter tires can be run at lower pressure giving better ride on rougher surfaces.

Test ride few different bikes besides these especially a Step-Thru frame. There are lot of forum members me included that are fans of Step-Thru frames for good reasons.

The Electra townie path go 10d is a nice bike I have had mine about a year and 3700 miles and it still and works like new.
I like the upright riding position and power is perfect for me (Bosch performance line cruise 65nm)
The 11-42 10 speed makes the bike a great hill climber.
Their is a low step version too

I have a Trek Verve+3 and about 1900 miles on it. I’ve been pretty happy with it. What you are looking at is a step up from that, should be a solid bike. I don’t know a lot about Giant but do consider them an established brand. I’d probably get which ever one has them in stock. I’m also a fan of step through.

The brands have equivalent high quality IMHO. See the known problems & solutions thread of the brand forums. Both have huge market share so over 100 posts is not an issue.
I started having trouble putting my leg over the seat in my early sixties. My strength is good, but my flexibility declines as I age. As these bikes should last 10 years or so with your planned usage level, I would look for drop frame bikes.
In case you ever want to stop for refreshment or shop, or a flat tire or popped off chain or bent derailleur, look at the security threads under parts & accessories. I use a 6' long 1/2" diameter StainlessSteel sling to wrap power poles, gas meters, live electrical conduits, cart racks. $80 for sling and a $60 lock with 12 mm pin. Hundred or more stops yearly, 4 1/2 years on this $2800 bike. A bag is necessary to carry a sling. My bags cost $100 each. Fold locks or U locks are more compact, but pro thieves have a plan for those. Abus & Krypton are two reliable brands in their more expensive models. Watch your battery when parked, both bosch & shimano batteries cost >$1000. .

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback, after reading lots & lots of threads on this very helpful forum... We ended up placing online orders (24 hold) on two Trek Allant+ 7 Lowsteps (one small for wife & one large for myself). Now waiting for store to confirm if/when we can really get them... at age 66 & 64, decided the Trek Allant+ 7 lowsteps will serve us best & 20 mph Class 1 will be fast enough... allowing us on all trails, state parks & national parks without any questions. The 500W battery, 4 amp charger and the "proven as one of the best motors" Bosch Performance CX, 250 watt, 85 Nm motor & Purion controller will serve us well and climb any hill we want to climb easily. We will post pics & share our reviews and experiences once we get them & start riding. Any more advise... appreciated !

I agree that for folks our age (we're a few years older than you) Class 1 is plenty fast. We have the 8s, because that's all that was available last year when we purchased, and have never even been close to the Class 1 speed limit using power, much less the Class 3 limit. Part of that is that we ride for exercise, so we use the motor assist only when we need to, and coast down our many hills. I read about others that run these bikes in turbo all the time. Can't imagine that where we are...
The Trek Allants are lovely bikes. You should have a lot of fun riding...

I rode a Trek Verve 2 at 40 NM and then immediately rode the Verve 3 at 50 NM and could feel the difference. At 85 NM you will have a lot of power for hills or riding into the wind or if you get tired. I spend most of my time in tour mode which is 40 NM of torque. I think you will really like the bikes.

Thanks for all the feedback, after reading lots & lots of threads on this very helpful forum... We ended up placing online orders (24 hold) on two Trek Allant+ 7 Lowsteps (one small for wife & one large for myself). Now waiting for store to confirm if/when we can really get them... at age 66 & 64, decided the Trek Allant+ 7 lowsteps will serve us best & 20 mph Class 1 will be fast enough... allowing us on all trails, state parks & national parks without any questions. The 500W battery, 4 amp charger and the "proven as one of the best motors" Bosch Performance CX, 250 watt, 85 Nm motor & Purion controller will serve us well and climb any hill we want to climb easily. We will post pics & share our reviews and experiences once we get them & start riding. Any more advise... appreciated !
Nice choice mate. I'm sure they will service you well!

Back