recharging ebike with portable generator

lovinmylectric

Region
USA
Thinking of buying a small westinghouse 155 watt generator which weighs only 3.5 pounds. I was hoping to use it for many different applications including recharging my lectric ebike. it only costs 129$ which is cheaper and lighter than buying a spare battery.it has starting watts of 150 running watts of 100 and 155 watt hours. They have many larger models also. I have a first edition Lectric folding fat tire ebike. Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

I thought it was a gas generator for $129, but it's just a lithium battery with an AC inverter. Should work for phones, Kindles, my golf GPS. How are its specs?

Claims 150WH. That means it should run your 2A battery charger for 1,0-1.5 hours, which will be about a 15% charge on a small 10AH battery. If you already have it at your campsite, that's good. Use it to keep your portable appliances recharged, but it's not going to add much to your ebiking power reservoir.

Plus the reviews sure don't imply Westinghouse Nuclear Submarine reliability.

https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse...ouse+igen+155+watt&qid=1646772473&sr=8-3&th=1

thinking of the westinghouse igen 300 with 300 watts power with 600 watts peak. talked to my local bike store and he said it would take hours to charge lectric bike batery but is a great little generator.300 rated watts and 296 wHours for 284$ so would i haveto run this for 3 hours to get a 30% charge???

Using a lithium battery to run an inverter to run a switching power supply to charge a lithium battery sounds a bit useless. Too many losses in conversion. It would be more weight capable to carry another lithium battery to get you to the next mains AC charge point.
Some members have carried an actual gasoline generator in a trailer. Strikes me as also unnecessarly complicated & heavy. If you are touring sparsely populated areas with no motels, buy a gasoline scooter with a license plate, insurance etc. An energy supply that fits the US energy infrastructure. Personally I hate the noise scooters make.
There are charging stations being built that take credit cards., but they are 220 vac or higher for cars. See this thread for alternate charging solutions: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ng-to-solve-charging-on-the-road.31265/unread
Some smelly "campgrounds" include charging AC sockets for RV's. I have refused to buy a RV desired by my spouse because of the odor.
One problem with credit card charging stations for ebikes is that an average charge is about $.40 at the residential supply rate. Minimum card charges are about $3.

Last edited:
thinking of the westinghouse igen 300 with 300 watts power with 600 watts peak. talked to my local bike store and he said it would take hours to charge lectric bike batery but is a great little generator.300 rated watts and 296 wHours for 284$ so would i haveto run this for 3 hours to get a 30% charge???
If you're going to spend $284 for an inverter, why not spend $15 more and get a spare battery? Lectric Bikes sells them for $299:

Unless you're a DIY'er, you can't use it for powering other devices though.

Back