Researching kits for my 1st and 2nd conversion.

PS
I'd ignore endless sphere, I've read some off the endless TSDZ2 thread and much of it is ridiculous nonsense, I'm glad I wasn't deterred by that experience.

endless-sphere posters also worked with David at eco cycles. In my opinion they made the TSDZ2 an better motor. But if you're happy, I'm happy. So often we seem to disrespect others opinions. When in fact there are a myriad of different choices. Each has value. There are many good choices that can meet an individuals needs. I've had or have several different systems on my DIY bikes. The fellow I gave the TSDZ2, KHS Smoothie, and EM3ev battery to absolutely loves it. AND it's hiding up to fairly high mileage. I found all of the dozen personal builds with varied components to each have features I liked. Actually I just like most decent eBikes. Sadly posters seem to think their choice is the best and only choice.

I spoke to David about endless sphere, he indicated a similar opinion as mine. I agree about posters that seem to think that their choice is the best and only choice - often those opinions come from the ones with the least breadth of experience.

Clarification: I emailed David rather than "spoke" with him. Also I bought both of my TSDZ2 from eco-ebike so maybe they improved the programming vs other vendors.

Last edited:
It depends on the bike. I often can install a center mount kickstand with a TSDZ2 but it may take trimming a corner of the kickstand's mounting block with a file by 5mm. When I cannot do this because it is too tight I will install a rear (mountain) kickstand which mounts on the seat stay and chain stay. There a bunch of options. And you are on the right path. Getting in the game is the main thing. That is better than worrying if you are not making the optimal choice. Getting on the dance floor is more important than asking the perfect girl to dance. It is so true that those least informed have the strongest opinions.
Kickstands on eBikes.

Attachments

• 31.5Bike04.JPG
    31.5Bike04.JPG
    420.6 KB · Views: 210
  • Boda04.JPG
    Boda04.JPG
    411.3 KB · Views: 219
  • CremeGlider07.JPG
    CremeGlider07.JPG
    616.4 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCF6665.JPG
    DSCF6665.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 209
  • DSCF7253.JPG
    DSCF7253.JPG
    356.8 KB · Views: 204
  • GTBlue05.JPG
    GTBlue05.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 210
Wishy-washy today. Back to the TSDZ2, not because of the above post, but because i talked to the people at Eco Cycles for about an hour and they were more than helpful. They have a decent price and there's a black friday special going up in the next few hours that i'll take a look at, but at this point i stop reading posts, looking at youtube videos, and various websites. Time to stop with the spreadsheets and just do it! lol.

Thank you all soooo much!

I spoke to David about endless sphere, he indicated a similar opinion as mine. I agree about posters that seem to think that their choice is the best and only choice - often those opinions come from the ones with the least breadth of experience.

Clarification: I emailed David rather than "spoke" with him. Also I bought both of my TSDZ2 from eco-ebike so maybe they improved the programming vs other vendors.
Having been on ES since 2014 I've come to know which posters have value. Leaving the blather unread. I do get why some are frustrated, but for a DIY builder there are invaluable posts. David, from my view, shared a lot of good info on ES. Being a Grin fan boy, there's a lot of good info. BUT I think this forum is more fun and has some really nice and helpful older fellas.

*sigh* Remember me? lol...

ok, so the black Friday deal actually ends up costing me $200 more, because it includes the open source motor control software and an upgraded display. I am just not sure how much value the programmability has. I can get the basic kit for $475, while after buying the required cable to program the motor and display it runs $675 (Includes a motor mod to reduce heat issues and a wire harness for visibility lights) While the programmability might be nice, i am not sure how much value it adds? Thoughts?

I definitely do not mind spending the money if it has value.

@EMGX is correct in my opinion that the TSDZ2 does not need reprograming of its firmware. If you are getting a Bafang that is different. With the display the smaller it is and less stuff it does the better. Less is more. I lie to my displays. I tell them that they have 100cm circumference wheels. I set the limit at 45. No throttle, No levers. And I deny them speed sensor input. That combo makes the bikes perk up.

My TSDZ 2 was an evaluation sample. Even free didn’t impress me. But Eco Cycle and the hack did improve the kit for many users. Again, I have no bones. We do what we like and that’s what’s important to me. This forum have proven to me there are no really bad kit choices from reliable makers/vendors. Just a few grumps thinking their choice is the one and only. Parroting what they read, with no hands on experience.

I was fortunate enough to ride one of PedalUma's bike builds once and I had the sensation of the bike just adding power to the equation. It kind of felt like I had bionic legs but couldn't tell where the power came from. I liked it a lot.

Something in your earlier posts in this thread gave me the impression the TSDZ2 would give you what you were after quite nicely Popparex.

OK, Thanks all. I am a bit of a geek i guess and trying to sell me the ability to tweak things gave me a sense of excitement. You guys agree with my wife. "Enough already! Just buy the darn things!"... :)

Wishy-washy today. Back to the TSDZ2, not because of the above post, but because i talked to the people at Eco Cycles for about an hour and they were more than helpful. They have a decent price and there's a black friday special going up in the next few hours that i'll take a look at, but at this point i stop reading posts, looking at youtube videos, and various websites. Time to stop with the spreadsheets and just do it! lol.

Thank you all soooo much!
What wisdom did eco-cycles impart? I'm curious and it might be helpful to others who are on the fence.

I was fortunate enough to ride one of PedalUma's bike builds once and I had the sensation of the bike just adding power to the equation. It kind of felt like I had bionic legs but couldn't tell where the power came from. I liked it a lot.

Something in your earlier posts in this thread gave me the impression the TSDZ2 would give you what you were after quite nicely Popparex.
That has been my experience also. Sometimes I'm not sure if the motor is even on because it can be so quiet and the assist so natural. But if I turn off the assist it becomes apparent how much it has been helping me.

Solar does not seem to have caught on. I use it. Basically, you can buy a 100 watt panel at Home Depot for $75. That's 18v, basically, to charge 12 volt batteries. So, you need to boost the voltage to 54.6 or so to charge a 48v ebike battery. The easy and cheap way to do this is with a boost solar controller designed for ebike batteries.
Actually I think it's more common than we realize. I've had my panel and MPPT for 10 years. Previously charging my sold amendment spray rig and compost extractor. Moving over to the bikes was easy, as you describe. I only use it in the summer and have been know to mount it on my budget, but decent trailer. It's been a subject I've just never really reported on or discussed. I found solar discussions to be like discussions using a DPDT switch for two batteries. Always someone that knows better. Then again, if I was smart I'd be rich...

Back