rear rack for full suspension electric mountain bike

cleo1943

I have a 2024 Giant Stance E (electric and full suspension). I find my Kryptonite lock is too heavy (I am 80 years old and 135 pounds) to carry in my back pack comfortably, So, I need to be able to carry my lock and some groceries. I have looked at the Aeroe and the accompanying 12 L bag. The Thule has one that also mounts on the stays and is much cheaper. Topeak was recommended by the LBS, is cheaper still, and mounts on the seatpost. The proprietary Topeak bags are expensive. Has anyone had experience with any of the three? Critique? Recommendation? Thanks

Depends on how much money you'd like to spend. Honestly if you are just carrying the lock and a small bag of groceries a rack is total overkill.

You could use a frame bag that fits your bike frame, although finding one that fits and has a decent amount of storage space is problematic, and you'd also lose your only bottle cage mount.

You could use a saddle twinkie like this: https://builtbyswift.com/shop/olliepack-seat-bag/

You could use a handlebar roll too, like this: https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/Handlebar/Sweetroll

If you have some money and access to someone who can help you build it and spec it your best bet if you really want a rear rack is one of the Old Man Mountain racks: https://oldmanmountain.com/product/divide-bike-rack/ -- keep in mind you'll still need to buy bike bags.

When you say, "Some groceries", what, exactly, does that mean? That's a very nebulous term.
I'm asking, because most full suspension racks don't carry that much, with the exception of the Aeroe rear rack, because the extra weight can impact the rear suspension.
Personally, I like the Aeroe rack and plan on purchasing one for my full suspension mountain bike. It looks like this rack can carry a fair amount of 'stuff'.

.. Topeak was recommended by the LBS, is cheaper still, and mounts on the seatpost.

Thanks cleo.
I just bought a rear rack.

PS,.. it doesn't mount to the seatpost.
It mounts to the seatstays.

The seat stays are the two metal tubes that go from the rear wheel and connect to your bike frame to keep the seat from falling off.

Screenshot_20240831-204203_DuckDuckGo.jpg

The chainstays are there to keep the chain from falling off.

On my motorcycle we just called it the swing-arm.
I think that makes a bit more sense.😂

It came to $236.32 CAD all in shipped.

Have a 2021 Stance E as well...
Also bought a Topeak Tetrarack. Along with a Topeak bag which includes panniers.
The lock I chose was a Abus folding (alarm) lock which I installed on the bottle cage.
I bring water in the trunk bag...

Well,.. I'm outta luck.
I watched the video, and Court managed to stretch the rack out past spec to 150 mm. I need 200 mm.

I did however just spend $50 on aluminum brazing rods, and I've got my old broken rack to cannibalize to try and make a bracket.
I've got threaded mounting holes to fasten the bracket.

Now I need to learn a new skill.

My tire is 27.5 x 2.8, so I'm good that way.
Courts' tire was 27.5 x 3.0

Last edited:
Old Man Mountain sells rear (and front) racks that handle wider tires and even fat tires.

Having seen both the OMM and Topeak Racks the OMM Racks are far higher quality and can carry much more weight. Especially if you can mount them on the axle.

Old Man Mountain sells rear (and front) racks that handle wider tires and even fat tires.

I looked into that before, and it won't work with my rear hub motor.

I've got the motor cable coming out through the axle and the Old Man Mountain thread on brackets won't accommodate it.

My Topeak rack arrived and they wanted another $51 Duty at the door.

So I ended up paying $288 CAD for a rack that won't fit. 😂

I thought that I'd at least try to attach it to see what happens.
IT FIT !!

I managed to just pull it apart while attaching the seat stay brackets, and everything fit nicely!!
It's even kinda pretensioned to help keep it stable, and the legs are spread out to ~200 mm so it's more stable that way too. 😂

I managed to pull a few inches of extra brake light cable to attach the brake light.

20240912_144456.jpg
20240912_144451.jpg
20240912_144535.jpg
20240912_144519.jpg

I haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure it'll be fine.
It's only rated for 26 pounds, but I don't need it to carry anything near that weight with my second battery now mounted to my top tube.

Attachments

• 20240912_145002.jpg
    20240912_145002.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 8
Back