Rattan XL on Indiegogo

RMK!

I've got a Rattan XL for me and 2 of the X models for my wife and daughter on order. Many options and exactly what I was looking for ebike wise, They are shipping next month so should have them in March (hopefully). This is the. Indiegogo Webpage

I've got a Rattan XL for me and 2 of the X models for my wife and daughter on order. Many options and exactly what I was looking for ebike wise, They are shipping next month so should have them in March (hopefully). This is the. Indiegogo Webpage

I had a deposit on one of these in Nov. The campaign was very confusing as to what you got and for how much. I began to question and was given an immediate refund. It looks like they have their act together with the new info but I have not heard from anyone who took delivery in December. These look like we'll thought out bikes, they make some serious claims. Please share your thoughts when they finally arrive.

I had a deposit on one of these in Nov. The campaign was very confusing as to what you got and for how much. I began to question and was given an immediate refund. It looks like they have their act together with the new info but I have not heard from anyone who took delivery in December. These look like we'll thought out bikes, they make some serious claims. Please share your thoughts when they finally arrive.

I understand your confusion and I also cancelled my first XL order (contribution") only to follow it up later with my 3 bike order. I does appear that Rattan is a viable company and will deliver these bikes. My concern is after delivery warranty service but I like this bikes size, looks, concept, features and pricing so much more that any other folding ebike that I took the plunge.

The first 25 bikes shipped from China in December and with a 6-8 week total delivery time estimate after shipping from China those owners should start posting about it in February. I was told my bike would ship from China in Feb so I'm expecting a March or April delivery. Hardly ideal for something I'm so excited to try out but optimistic that it will meet my expectations. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I understand your confusion and I also cancelled my first XL order (contribution") only to follow it up later with my 3 bike order. I odes appear that they are a viable company and will deliver these bikes. My concern is after delivery warranty service but I like this bikes size, looks, concept, features and pricing so much more that any other folding ebike that I took the plunge.

The first 25 bikes shipped from China in December and with a 6-8 week total delivery time estimate after shipping from China those owners should start posting about it in February. I was told my bike would ship from China in Feb so I'm expecting a March or April delivery. Hardly ideal for something I'm so excited to try out but optimistic that it will meet my expectations. Time will tell.

I first thought they were Sonders X bike frame supplier the similarity was pretty close. I think you will be happy with them. I am not sure I could wait that long lol. My wife and I rate getting eBikes one of our top 5 best decisions for the last decade. Really a blast to be out riding again. :)

I first thought they were Sonders X bike frame supplier the similarity was pretty close. I think you will be happy with them. I am not sure I could wait that long lol. My wife and I rate getting eBikes one of our top 5 best decisions for the last decade. Really a blast to be out riding again. :)
Yes, to quote Tom Petty, "the waiting is the hardest part". I was going to get the Fat Bear Plus but this review that emphasized the Rattan XL bikes size and stoutness was just to compelling for me. I'm 6'5" 210 lbs and so I need a larger frame. The indiegogo combo deal for the XL and slightly smaller X model gave me the perfect combo for myself and my 5'9" wife. I also chose another X model for our daughter so the family will be all Rattan ebike when (and if) we get them. The crowd funding aspect of this does give me some concern but since Rattan has a couple of other models already in production, the incredible value proposition makes this a risk worth taking. I hope I still feel that way in April ... :)

5 more days to take advantage of this Indiegogo deal.

The Indiegogo campaign is over as of last night. I cancelled the second Rattan X designated for our daughter and ordered the Eahora X7 E-PAS Folding Fat Tire E-Bike that I will deliver to her after I receive the Rattan's (XL and X models) in the March- April timeframe. I will make a review thread that compares those two models once I have both bikes in-house.

The Rattan fat tire folder is made in China as is the Eahora so although they look similar, and share some componentry, I'm guessing they are not from the same factory.

Last edited:
Although I have, so far, been quite happy with my Ecotric's I will monitor your comments. Personally Iiked the Rattan but am too old to do business in the world of vague and not up to speed on crowed funding , your review, when the time comes, could very well give me the motivation to try that business model on my next purchase. I am cautious but still open. The regen feature is a serious selling point. I wonder if a start-up will ever offer that up as an add-on accessory for existing eBikes. Looking forward to your review

Although I have, so far, been quite happy with my Ecotric's I will monitor your comments. Personally Iiked the Rattan but am too old to do business in the world of vague and not up to speed on crowed funding , your review, when the time comes, could very well give me the motivation to try that business model on my next purchase. I am cautious but still open. The regen feature is a serious selling point. I wonder if a start-up will ever offer that up as an add-on accessory for existing eBikes. Looking forward to your review

I've looked at just about all of the fat tire folder bikes and finally settled on the two. I feel like the Rattan XL is perfect for me but until I have put some miles on it's only a guess. The Ecotric bikes seem like good values but for the Folders they list rider height recommendations as 5'4" to 5'9" and I'm 6'5" ;-)

Yes. That rider size specification is pretty limiting, but that is the same generic frame used on dozens of chinese 20" folders, so either Ecotric is conservative or it's a translation error.

However, your Rattan has a different frame for that internal battery and maybe that extra metal gives more support for an extended seat post. It also makes for a bigger weld at the hinge, and more strength there is important. Check your seat post when you get the bike and note the maximum height mark on it.

Yes. That rider size specification is pretty limiting, but that is the same generic frame used on dozens of chinese 20" folders, so either Ecotric is conservative or it's a translation error.

However, your Rattan has a different frame for that internal battery and maybe that extra metal gives more support for an extended seat post. It also makes for a bigger weld at the hinge, and more strength there is important. Check your seat post when you get the bike and note the maximum height mark on it.

Agree with your comments. I will look, and more importantly feel, a little odd on anything but a large frame full size bike. As I'm getting long of tooth and feeling the effects of age, this bike will get me out exercising and breathing fresh air and the portability will allow for exploration of drive to destinations. For me, retirement is imminent and the ebike is an important piece of that equation.

Truth be told, I like the look of the Rattan better than any other folder I've seen. On the surface, it's a straight forward off-roader with good components and @ the Indiegogo price, it's a screaming good deal. That said, concerns about actual delivery times and customer service during the excellent 2 year warranty period make it a risky proposition.

Last edited:
Sondors fold x uses the same frame if your concerned about buying from indegogo although its 500w geared motor with no regen but it's hard for me to believe rattans claims on regen

The Sondors looks good but the crank set and shifters appear to be a step down from those used on the Rattan. The regen feature is a draw for me even if the claims are exaggerated, it will mean extra range and I'm good with that.

My concern isn't "buying" from Indegogo because that's not what I did. I took the leap of faith which is making a "contribution" to a crowd funded project in hopes of receiving a product. I hope this leads to a good product delivered to me at a great price but there are no guarantees with crowd funding. I took the risk because Rattan has delivered bikes that were reviewed by this site and the XL checked all the boxes for me. It's all moot at this point and I just have to wait and see.

The Sondors looks good but the crank set and shifters appear to be a step down from those used on the Rattan. The regen feature is a draw for me even if the claims are exaggerated, it will mean extra range and I'm good with that.

My concern isn't "buying" from Indegogo because that's not what I did. I took the leap of faith which is making a "contribution" to a crowd funded project in hopes of receiving a product. I hope this leads to a good product delivered to me at a great price but there are no guarantees with crowd funding. I took the risk because Rattan has delivered bikes that were reviewed by this site and the XL checked all the boxes for me. It's all moot at this point and I just have to wait and see.

It's all a risk... buying online, but...Sondors (Storm) had many detractors over past ventures and he's delivered. I think you will be fine and customer service means nothing till you need it. Fortunately electrical components are not crazy expensive for rear hub bikes, so the risk is minimalized @ $800 purchase price. Any delay I imagine would be the factory getting hit with frame orders, the rest is components and assembly. My biggest problem was mostly wanting an eBike quickly, your a patient guy lol

It's all a risk... buying online, but...Sondors (Storm) had many detractors over past ventures and he's delivered. I think you will be fine and customer service means nothing till you need it. Fortunately electrical components are not crazy expensive for rear hub bikes, so the risk is minimalized @ $800 purchase price. Any delay I imagine would be the factory getting hit with frame orders, the rest is components and assembly. My biggest problem was mostly wanting an eBike quickly, your a patient guy lol
I too want an ebike quickly. I rented one this week in Hawaii and it was a lot of fun. I'm considering a Bolton ebikes folding bike for the 3rd bike as they are local to me and, the guy makes some interesting and informative youtube videos.

Well after some careful consideration (said with usual sarcasm) I decided to stay with the Eahora X7 plus as the 3rd bike. With the New Year shutdown, and Corona virus issues, all Chinese products are placed in a state of limbo so I'm happy to have an ebike on it's way to me. The Eahora shipped from China just before the window closed and they have a few of the X7 Pluse's (I was told only 17 total) and over 200 of the Amazon listed X7 standard bikes in their warehouse in California.The componentry of the X7 Plus is similar to the Rattan XL but I'm sure that with a 500 W motor and a 10.4ah battery it will not deliver the power and range of the Rattan. I should have it this week and so I can actually start enjoying ebike ownership and that will allow me to wait out the unfortunate delays on the 2 Rattan ebikes.

Another potential cool thing about the Eahora is that they mentioned shipping me a fender and rack package for the X7 Plus no charge as a "preorder thank you gift". If the bike is solid, and they deliver on the accessory package that makes the EahoraX7 Plus an excellent value. There are only a few left in one color (green) so if you're interested in this type of bike I'd jump on it.

Attachments

• X7 (2)_Moment.jpg
    X7 (2)_Moment.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 741
Last edited:
I have not encountered a single situation where 500w 36v didn't suffice for the riding we are doing. Those Euphoras look similar to the older Rattan folders.

Not sure it matters much but the battery is 48v/10.4ah. That's how they get the 500 watts.

Someone might know. I tend to be a Why do boats float? Because they can :)

Some of the tech or understanding of it is important to specific areas of use but for simply recreating on an eBike knowing the vast amount one could know has little impact on a 2 hour Sunday bike ride. jmo

RMK, two things limit watts. First is the rating on the controller. Second is rating of the battery. You can have a monster battery with tiny controller, or vice versa, but the smaller rating is the limit.

The AH rating on the battery is an indicator. Your 48V 10AH pack is probably good for 20A continuous. That would be capable of 500W.

roboto_1.jpg

Understood ... I'm assuming that Eahora matched the controller with the battery/motor. They did mention that they are considering a higher capacity battery with their battery supplier but the issue is more cells are needed and battery size would change so a retro fit might be an issue with an internal frame mount like the X7. I would be fine with approx 30 miles max with pedal assist and that seems achievable. I do plan on getting some exercise ... :)

Back