Radrover gearing

yes there is a way to change the tire diameter and also max speed (though limited to 39kph/25mph i believe) - they actually posted a youtube video with all the directions before the bike shipped, below. The 28 inch setting is maximum, and I'm pretty sure my rear tire at least is larger than that - it is also slightly heavier with the larger tire and the rotational mass is further from center as a result as well. Compromises I'm willing to live with to have some off road fun!

Px, Thanks for finding that video... Both our RR's were set to max 40kph or 24.85mph although 20mph+/- seems about max with my 225lbs tucked in..throttle only... And now I know how to turn the lights on... thanks again...

dnp is the only company that currently makes freewheels that go to 11t. you can find them on ebay just search dnp 7 speed 11-32t, they also have 28t and 30t versions. the only reason i knew of them is because the motor/battery seller em3ev.com sells them and i had been considering building my own electric fat before the radrover came along.

the freewheel removal tool is the park tool fr 1.2 it is labeled for both shimano and dnp freewheels. if you check it out you'll see it has an open center, that is the part i had to hollow out more to get it over the axle. i only had a chance to do a couple short trips to check my work last weekend, i'll make sure to get a ride report in this weekend!

Px,
I recently this YT video where the guy used a spark plug socket instead of a park tool... just wondering if it will fit over the
RR axle and motor wire plug...(3/8" drive will need to be drilled??) I'm sure many of us have duplicate spark plug sockets we could repurpose and save a few bucks and time...
I'm still on the fence... 11-30 or 11-32 leaning 11-30... need nudging...

When you're going that slow, it pops right up into the 32t sprocket easily, after my ride on the weekend I found no reason not to recommend it over the 30t gearing.

Px,
I recently viewed this YT video where the guy used a spark plug socket instead of a park tool... just wondering if it will fit over the
RR axle and motor wire plug...(3/8" drive will need to be drilled??) I'm sure many of us have duplicate spark plug sockets we could repurpose and save a few bucks and time...
I'm still on the fence... 11-30 or 11-32 leaning 11-30... need nudging...

Update on the spark plug socket repurpose... It was a dark, and windy Sunday morning... I pulled out my old Craftsman tool box.. It contained few old style sp sockets to choose from (older sp's need a 13/16" deep socket ... most new cars use 5/8" sp's) Anyway they were all 3/8" drive sockets and they all had different sized hex bases, but not one of the 4 I had was a good fit in the Shimano freewheel ( I had a used 14-28 7sp for test fitting) So, I chose a slightly oversized one and used my 4" angle grinder with a flat carborundum wheel and ground down all six sides on a slight taper until I had a good snug fit when tapped into the freewheel.. I also had to drill out the 3/8" square drive with a 1/2" high speed drill bit... this took a while even with copious amounts of cutting oil (the socket I chose was very hard to drill) . With the RR rear wheel off and upright, I removed the inside axle nut and tapped in my new tool ... I then used my 18" pipe wrench to bite the outside of the socket...Turning counterclockwise, it was fairly easy to break this fw loose...a large vise grip may have also worked... as this RR only has 60 miles on it... not long enough for it to seize onto the hub...

I exchanged the stock 14-28 Shimano for a SunRace 14-34 (Mfm2A 14-34 7s), that I picked up new at a local bike shop for 15 bucks.. It's my wife's bike so she really doesn't need the speed just an easier gear for climbing... I believe the only diff. is the last cog and on the test ride it shifted up to the 34t "Megadrive" with no problem... I noticed I could go about 7-9 mph at a comfortable high rpm.. I didn't have a hill handy and the weather was turning.. I just ordered a 13-34 SunRace (MFM4S 13-34 7s ) for my other RR... for 17 bucks I think it's worth a try... but I would preferred a 12t small cog.. .??

When I think about the work I put into the modified sp socket... it is probably not worth the effort... but I will use at least one more
time...
M

Does seem like a lot of effort to save ten bucks! The freewheel is naturally not an easy part to remove either. I ended up putting the park tool into my vice and using the wheel itself to leverage removing it (this made it quite easy).

Does seem like a lot of effort to save ten bucks! The freewheel is naturally not an easy part to remove either. I ended up putting the park tool into my vice and using the wheel itself to leverage removing it (this made it quite easy).

Yes, a lot of work, but I figured I would have to drill out the reg. park tool anyway...and most bike shops were closed when I started... I didn't think the Thorsen brand sp socket would give me that much resistance.... but, at least drilling it out kept me warm on that cold morning... I probably should have cleaned the garage out instead.. but what's the fun in that... I'd rather tinker... The better way to ... get the DNP custom freewheel tool... posted by Scotty earlier...

Chucking the park tool in a vise is a great tip... probably safer too... I'll try that next time...

In the end the tool did the job ... and the new SunRace 14-34 freewheel seems like a good mod... for riders in hilly locations.. Shimano also makes a 14-34 7sp...

BTW how do you remove the rear wheel? when I pull the rubber cap off I can see the cable going into the hub through the hex nut and the wire goes all the way to the control box, I assume the cable can disconnect at some point?

thanks,
Sam

If you follow the motor wire away from the motor you'll find the connection along the bottom tube towards the bottom bracket, most likely zip tied on the wheel side of the tubing...At least that is where it was in the first gen motor.

I've got the second gen, and there's a Velcro wrapper wrapping the wire to the control box, when I open the Velcro the cable is solid all the way to the controller.

Back