Racktime bags

Mark_0

This may be obvious to you but just in case ... I've tried to find a bag to put on the ST2's rear rack. After a couple of failed purchases I realised that the rack is manufactured by a company called Racktime. And an Internet search showed that they make bags that clip into that rack. I just bought one from a supplier in the US (bikebagshop.com) and it works perfectly. Racktime bags come in all shapes and sizes and have an inbuilt device that clicks into the rack on the ST2. Just buy the bag and it fits. They are also really well made.

I don't know why there isn't more information from Stromer about the rack manufacturer - maybe it's obvious for a European consumer. But it certainly wasn't obvious for me!

I use Ortleib BackRoller Classic and it fits perfectly fine.
It is quite expensive and it's basically a waterproof sack but it has proven quite effective. I think Racktime bags make more sense and cost effective.

Mostly any bag should work, no? I'm a fan of Arkel bags with their cam-lock mounting system. Snaps right onto the rack and isn't going anywhere until you want it to. I have an Arkel Bug Pannier Backpack for daily use and an Arkel Shopper Urban Pannier for carrying groceries.

What type of bags were you having trouble fitting on the rack?

This may be obvious to you but just in case ... I've tried to find a bag to put on the ST2's rear rack. After a couple of failed purchases I realised that the rack is manufactured by a company called Racktime. And an Internet search showed that they make bags that clip into that rack. I just bought one from a supplier in the US (bikebagshop.com) and it works perfectly. Racktime bags come in all shapes and sizes and have an inbuilt device that clicks into the rack on the ST2. Just buy the bag and it fits. They are also really well made.
What bag did you end up buying? I would appreciate your comments on the bag.

I just ordered the Black Box Rack Top Bag (https://www.bikebagshop.com/racktime-black-box-rack-top-bag-p-3617.html) for my ST2.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mostly any bag should work, no? I'm a fan of Arkel bags with their cam-lock mounting system. Snaps right onto the rack and isn't going anywhere until you want it to. I have an Arkel Bug Pannier Backpack for daily use and an Arkel Shopper Urban Pannier for carrying groceries.

What type of bags were you having trouble fitting on the rack?

Frank I really wanted a bag that clips on. But none of the other manufacturers are compatible with the rack on the Stromer (at least I don't find one that is). So I would have had to get a new rack. I didn't really want to do that because I already had one! Plus the rear light is attached and that would have been a pain to deal with.

So that left me with a velcro attached one. The rack on the bike is very narrow, extremely close to the mudguard (almost no gap in places) and there isn't a significant upswing to the bar at the front, near the saddle. All that to say the velcro ones are extremely hard to get on, leave large extruding velcro tags and then aren't actually that secure - I had to put extra straps on to really secure it. Maybe there are some that fit better because people here seem happy with theirs.

But the Racktime bags fit perfectly and delivered exactly what I wanted.

Oh no question, velcro bags are a giant pain to deal with. I didn't even realize they made trunk bags that clipped on, the velcro is the reason I've stayed away from them for so long.

For anyone else reading this thread, the Arkel bags (panniers) clip perfectly onto the rear rack of the ST2 -- at least the two models that I own do. The cam-lock system is a breeze to snap them on and off of the racks, and I've found the bags to be thoughtfully designed. Take the Bug Pannier Backpack as an example, I *love* that there is an outside pocket to carry my U-lock while I am riding which then expands to hold my helmet when I convert it to a backpack and am walking around, all without compromising any of the internal storage space.

http://www.arkel-od.com/en/bike-panniers.html

Question: I don't have a Stromer but the eBike I do have has a rear rack and that rack's arms/frame are thick and that makes fitting regular panniers difficult, if not impossible. Is the ST2 rack similar? I would consider my rack a heavy duty rear rack.

Attachments

• evo street rear rack.jpg
    evo street rear rack.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 957
Question: I don't have a Stromer but the eBike I do have has a rear rack and that rack's arms/frame are thick and that makes fitting regular panniers difficult, if not impossible. Is the ST2 rack similar? I would consider my rack a heavy duty rear rack.
Ortlieb makes an attachment to add to the top of your rack and it will add pannier bars. It might have some negative effects on the aesthetic, but it will allow you to run panniers and a quick release lock on basket if you'd like.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

You could also look at panniers that don't have clips like Ortlieb or Arkel. Blackburn makes some nice ones that would just flop over the top of the rack.

Is this compatible with continues use of Ortleib panniers or does it obscure the top rack tubes?
I looked at the Ortleib site and believe the rack clips at the top of the panniers should be able to connect under the trunk bag since the Racktime bag clips into the center brackets and not the tubes.

The Racktime Black Box bag arrived. It has a rigid shell, and doubles as a backpack when removed from the carrier. I would say that the bag is a bit on the small side. It's big enough to bring a change of clothes, but not big enough to also carry a pair of shoes.

mk637VebG02h2GZ-dVulzNZ3JCzYirhKsClolXtWTfTJ=w1240-h698-no

m6Jj2HxQZzFKeH7AP3Idk59KhLFNLOdxosJ9EQIAm9_6=w393-h698-no

Edited: Incorrectly stated that this was the Racktime TrunkIt bag.

Last edited:
The TrunkIt bag arrived. It has a rigid shell, and doubles as a backpack when removed from the carrier. I would say that the bag is a bit on the small side. It's big enough to bring a change of clothes, but not big enough to also carry a pair of shoes.

mk637VebG02h2GZ-dVulzNZ3JCzYirhKsClolXtWTfTJ=w1240-h698-no

m6Jj2HxQZzFKeH7AP3Idk59KhLFNLOdxosJ9EQIAm9_6=w393-h698-no
A couple of quick questions? Does it clip in quickly for fast removal and can the backpack straps be removed if that is not your thing? Thanks Rick and you have a very nice bike!

A couple of quick questions? Does it clip in quickly for fast removal and can the backpack straps be removed if that is not your thing? Thanks Rick and you have a very nice bike!
The bag clips in, and can be quickly inserted or removed by depressing the quick release tab. When removing, it slides forward so that the mounting pegs on the bag clear the holes on the Racktime rack. However, it does get a little tricky when removing because the front of the bag will touch the back of the seat post at about the same point as when the pegs clear the holes. I think Stromer has placed the rack a little to close to the back of the seat.

The backpack straps are stored inside a pouch. I don't plan on using them, and I don't see a problem keeping them in the pouch. When the bag is removed from the rack, the pouch/flap folds over to cover the Racktime mounting rails on the back/bottom of the bag.

The bag clips in, and can be quickly inserted or removed by depressing the quick release tab. When removing, it slides forward so that the mounting pegs on the bag clear the holes on the Racktime rack. However, it does get a little tricky when removing because the front of the bag will touch the back of the seat post at about the same point as when the pegs clear the holes. I think Stromer has placed the rack a little to close to the back of the seat.

The backpack straps are stored inside a pouch. I don't plan on using them, and I don't see a problem keeping them in the pouch. When the bag is removed from the rack, the pouch/flap folds over to cover the Racktime mounting rails on the back/bottom of the bag.
Maybe a silly question but could your bag be mounted in reverse? Could you secure it by changing it 180 degrees. I ask because the web pictures from manufacturer show it 180 degrees different than this picture and I thought this may help with the clearance previously noted. It is great to have another ST2 member to the forum and thanks for your contributions.

Last edited:
Back