R&M Bosch power socket rubber cap - design flaw

Not really. Just leaving for a 6-day trip to South England (from Poland). The bureaucracy to make the trip to the UK happen is just ridiculous. For instance, I can travel anywhere inside the EU with my Covid Passport. But no, the British Govt required I made two covid tests in addition that cost over 100 quids. You might understand my sour mood now.

However, if you complain on the P&P cost from a store in the EU, the answer is obvious. In the past, I used to order some parts from British online stores. Not anymore.

Last edited:
Not really. Just leaving for a 6-day trip to South England (from Poland). The bureaucracy to make the trip to the UK happen is just ridiculous. For instance, I can travel anywhere inside the EU with my Covid Passport. But no, the British Govt required I made two covid tests in addition that cost over 100 quids. You might understand my sour mood now.

However, if you complain on the P&P cost from a store in the EU, the answer is obvious. In the past, I used to order some parts from British online stores. Not anymore.
I already knew the answer. Enjoy your visit to the UK.

If it's any consolation i am leaving the UK tomorrow for a 9 day trip.
I'm going to France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and Italy.

I have 15 sheets of paper printed out, i am taking two tests with me to do on the journey, and i have been double vaccinated.
Oh, and i have to do another test when i get home.
Thank you covid.

Thank you covid.
All these extra tests are the British thing. An Euro citizen can travel anywhere inside the Union only with the proof of double vaccination. Besides, I didn't make it to the UK. (No wrong on the British side but it would have not happened if I travelled anywhere within the EU).

All these extra tests are the British thing. An Euro citizen can travel anywhere inside the Union only with the proof of double vaccination. Besides, I didn't make it to the UK. (No wrong on the British side but it would have not happened if I travelled anywhere within the EU).
But all those countries are imposing different rules on the non-EU traveller.
Surely the European Union should have a united travel policy and once you are within the Schengen area then those rules should apply? it's SO complicated for anyone who is not from within the EU, and yet it's so simply for those within the EU. Massive double standards.

But all those countries are imposing different rules on the non-EU traveller.
Surely the European Union should have a united travel policy and once you are within the Schengen area then those rules should apply? it's SO complicated for anyone who is not from within the EU, and yet it's so simply for those within the EU. Massive double standards.
I was not a person to vote for Brexit.
Britain took the control back, aye?

We're going for a motorcycle tour in Croatia and the surrounding countries next week. Our original flight from the US went through Heathrow, until that is, we found out all the extra 10 hoops you have to jump through just to change planes. We changed our flight to Swiss Air through Zurich. They also have about 5 hoops to jump through and multiple pages of forms to fill out and carry around for the two hours we will be in their airport but at least it doesn't include getting tested, etc and we have had 2 shots PLUS a booster! "Thank you COVID" is an understatement :-(

Well yesterday my cap ripped off. Likely flapped open while peddling, and the peddle took it off.

I saw this, and was wondering if I got this whole assembly, could I use it on a 2021 Superdelite? It seems better, as it is rubber again. I liked the rubber cap on my old Active Line Plus bike. https://www.electriccyclery.com/sho...e-2/bosch-electric-bike-battery-parts/ep1113/

I'm in the USA, so the linked 3D printed version, does not ship here.
Anyone know of any 3rd party (not R&M) covers that would work?
Anyone know of a R&M dealer that you can order from online to get OEM replacements?

I realized my dealer was open today. So I gave them a call. They had another this week come in with the same issue. He is checking with R&M to see if the updated rubber cap will retrofit on my bike. So hopefully by mid week I'll know if I can get the updated cap, and how long that will take to arrive.

Last edited:
Well yesterday my cap ripped off. Likely flapped open while peddling, and the peddle took it off.

I saw this, and was wondering if I got this whole assembly, could I use it on a 2021 Superdelite? It seems better, as it is rubber again. I liked the rubber cap on my old Active Line Plus bike. https://www.electriccyclery.com/sho...e-2/bosch-electric-bike-battery-parts/ep1113/

I'm in the USA, so the linked 3D printed version, does not ship here.
Anyone know of any 3rd party (not R&M) covers that would work?
Anyone know of a R&M dealer that you can order from online to get OEM replacements?

I realized my dealer was open today. So I gave them a call. They had another this week come in with the same issue. He is checking with R&M to see if the updated rubber cap will retrofit on my bike. So hopefully by mid week I'll know if I can get the updated cap, and how long that will take to arrive.
You don't need the whole assembly. Just remove the remnants of the old cover (I would do this with the charger plugged into the bike, but NOT THE WALL to hold the port in place) And reinstall the screws that hold the port in place, then all you'll need is that rubber cover - it pops right into the hole left by the remnants of the old cover

Attachments

• IMG_3171.jpg
    IMG_3171.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 243
You don't need the whole assembly. Just remove the remnants of the old cover (I would do this with the charger plugged into the bike, but NOT THE WALL to hold the port in place) And reinstall the screws that hold the port in place, then all you'll need is that rubber cover - it pops right into the hole left by the remnants of the old cover
Sweet, those rubber versions are only $2. Thanks, I’ll get one of those.

Yes! I just replaced the cover to a new one from R&M and came here to warn people that unlike I thought, those two screws dont just hold the plastic cover but the whole damn charging port falls inside the frame if you remove them. I was able to fish it back in place but would highly recommend trying to do the swap so that one screw is always attached or use the charging cable to hold the port in place. Or both.

So I ordered https://www.electriccyclery.com/sho...e-2/bosch-electric-bike-battery-parts/ep1118/ since it was cheap enough. I haven't heard back from the dealer yet. I went to install it on the bike just now, and it won't work. Basically it would work, but the R&M frame is super thick and the rubber peg on the new cover doesn't account for a thick frame between the cover, and the Bosch plastic that has the matching hole, where the actual charge plug socket is.

So I guess I'll just wait for the dealer to get back to me.

IMG_0507.jpeg
IMG_0506.jpeg
IMG_0505.jpeg

Sad to report the revised version of the plastic charging cover doesn't seem to hold up any better than the older design. This came off a SD with about 300mi on it.

IMG_3200.jpg

Is there a company that makes a 3D Printed cover similar to the charger plug that could be used.

Just this bit, with a flat top
7FB4C704-78C1-40BE-A7EF-27279DF47027.jpeg

Sad to report the revised version of the plastic charging cover doesn't seem to hold up any better than the older design. This came off a SD with about 300mi on it.

View attachment 101969
Looks like it needs an actual hinge…? One of those open hinges where you can pop it off and back in which you see regularly in plastic - I’m certain someone with a 3D printer could design that if they had the base object to start from.

In the absence of a design with that, maybe just adhere one side of some velcro around the hole cut to the shape of the pad with a hole for the charge socket, and then use the matching piece without cutting the hole to cover it? The same could be done using fabric or sheet silicone with buttons or other fasteners.

I wonder if I can use the busted hinge base plate, and just drill a hole so the Bosch rubber cap will attach to that. 🤷‍♂️

I wonder if I can use the busted hinge base plate, and just drill a hole so the Bosch rubber cap will attach to that. 🤷‍♂️
We've had a least one customer pin the rubber cover with one of the mount bolts - it works ok, but doesn't do much to keep dust and debris from getting into the charging port.

My cover fell off and I am just riding without the cover for the past 6 months. No problems so far.

View attachment 101969
I know it’s not ideal, but could some reinforced tape being added to the hinge area, when new to give it the required strength.

Back