Quill Stem riser help.

I cannot find a 25.4 mm quill stem riser long enough (300mm) to lift my handlebars up to a comfortable height. Existing is 7in and also has a 50 deg adjustable angle at the clamp. I could change the bars but prefer the longer quill option. Any reason why these are not really made? There's a lot of old guys don't like riding crouched over. A quill extender? seems a bit dangerous having 2 quills in the steering tube. Any solutions? Thanks. in USA

I cannot find a 25.4 mm quill stem riser long enough (300mm) to lift my handlebars up to a comfortable height. Existing is 7in and also has a 50 deg adjustable angle at the clamp. I could change the bars but prefer the longer quill option. Any reason why these are not really made? There's a lot of old guys don't like riding crouched over. A quill extender? seems a bit dangerous having 2 quills in the steering tube. Any solutions? Thanks. in USA
I have seen a quill stem "extender" but bad reviews with having to have 2 quills in the tube. I would look at new Hbars but hard to find a mid-rise 31.8 at clamp tapering to 22.3 at grips.

You can buy shims to be able to use 7/8" handlebars (1" at the clamp) with a 31.8 clamp.

1616772407714.png

Last edited:
You're not finding 25.4 x 300mm with 31.8mm clamps, but they are there with 25.4 clamps. A new riser bar with EMGX's shims ought to work, Make sure your new bars are wide enough to hold all the extra gear needed for ebikes. I just bought one that was too short,

The riser height is only 100 mm (4 inches) same as the original. Still can't find a 300 mm one. :) but thanks.
I assume you mean you can't find one you like ? I found one right off 1 search. https://www.ebay.com/itm/184358722450
There's others with adjustable clamps as well. Not sure why you can't find one unless u are looking for what you have now that's 300MM. Otherwise I found a decent number to pick from. Just my googling 300MM 25.4 Quill Stem with adjustable riser

I assume you mean you can't find one you like ? I found one right off 1 search. https://www.ebay.com/itm/184358722450
There's others with adjustable clamps as well. Not sure why you can't find one unless u are looking for what you have now that's 300MM. Otherwise I found a decent number to pick from. Just my googling 300MM 25.4 Quill Stem with adjustable riser
NOPE, you assumed wrong. They say it is both 22.2 AND 25.4 (impossible to be both) but in reality they are only 22.2 and they expect you to over tighten the wedge to get it to grab the wider diameter tube. Doesn't work, stem moves around and there are a lot of bad reviews on Amazon specifically about this including accidents where the handlebars suddenly swivel. There are NO 25.4 diameter Quill stems around 300 MM. I'm still looking. It's an odd size. I've seen these in bike shops too, advertised as 25.4 but when I ask them to throw a caliper around the stem they are only 22.2. The link you pointed to is only a 22.2 diameter. But thanks for looking.

Last edited:
NOPE, you assumed wrong. They say it is both 22.2 AND 25.4 (impossible to be both) but in reality they are only 22.2 and they expect you to over tighten the wedge to get it to grab the wider diameter tube. Doesn't work, stem moves around and there are a lot of bad reviews on Amazon specifically about this including accidents where the handlebars suddenly swivel. There are NO 25.4 diameter Quill stems around 300 MM. I'm still looking. It's an odd size. I've seen these in bike shops too, advertised as 25.4 but when I ask them to throw a caliper around the stem they are only 22.2. The link you pointed to is only a 22.2 diameter. But thanks for looking.
Ok : Amazon IMO is slowly screwing all of us over . When you google you can only really find Ebay or Amazon products . Or it's from another country . And it's getting worse . I know many people are in denial that Big Tech is Censoring the truth about Social , Religious, and political things . While censoring products available thru Sellers other then themselves is getting to be a Major problem . You can find stuff . But only if you luckily happen to use the right search terms . i know this is true I can use my VPN and bypass them seeing My IP address and thus censorship.
It's just a pain in the butt. So I usually only do it if I really want something . Good luck
I guess worse case are shims on larger diameter . Or the expense of New Bars .

I didn't pick that you have a 1-1/8" threaded headset, a rare bird, as far as stems are concerned. What kind of bike is this, by the way that you will use 8" of stem with hi-rise bars.

They say it is both 22.2 AND 25.4
It's actually the (Chinese) seller not describing their product correctly.

When you see this, what they mean is, it's a quill stem for a 22.2mm fork, that accepts a 25.4mm handlebar.

You are right with 300mm being hard to find. I've never seen one that long. I have in stock ones that are 220mm length.

I think you have some sentimental attachment to the bike you are using with a frame that is too small for you, it may be best to get a bigger bike, perhaps it may be available same make and model with a larger frame.

I didn't pick that you have a 1-1/8" threaded headset, a rare bird, as far as stems are concerned. What kind of bike is this, by the way that you will use 8" of stem with hi-rise bars.
I don't have Hi rise bars. They're flat MTN bike bars but crouched over riding hurts. I'm old :) I don't want to change the bars, they have all the electronics on them.

Ok : Amazon IMO is slowly screwing all of us over . When you google you can only really find Ebay or Amazon products . Or it's from another country . And it's getting worse . I know many people are in denial that Big Tech is Censoring the truth about Social , Religious, and political things . While censoring products available thru Sellers other then themselves is getting to be a Major problem . You can find stuff . But only if you luckily happen to use the right search terms . i know this is true I can use my VPN and bypass them seeing My IP address and thus censorship.
It's just a pain in the butt. So I usually only do it if I really want something . Good luck
It's actually the (Chinese) seller not describing their product correctly.

When you see this, what they mean is, it's a quill stem for a 22.2mm fork, that accepts a 25.4mm handlebar.

You are right with 300mm being hard to find. I've never seen one that long. I have in stock ones that are 220mm length.

I think you have some sentimental attachment to the bike you are using with a frame that is too small for you, it may be best to get a bigger bike, perhaps it may be available same make and model with a larger frame.
SoyaBean, Clamp size is not the issue here. They are stating the stem fits both size FORK tubes which is ridiculous. No sentiment, LOL. Please don't assume. it's a 6 month old NEW electric bike. :)

Amazon is not the issue. I have no problem with Amazon products. I've never been re-directed. Sounds like you are anti Amazon and a Big-Tech-ophobe. Good luck with that. :) they're watching you. ;)

it's a 6 month old NEW electric bike.
Then you bought a bike too small for you, and now you are trying to hack it up to your size.

I wouldn't even dare trust a 300mm "extension". That's 1 whole foot of metal that was never tested on the ebike. I wouldn't even trust that on a pedal bike. Most bolt-ons are for pedal bikes and don't need to be of nasa quality because most cyclists aren't riding Class3 speeds.

Replacing handlebars is not that big a task. You have to remove the brakes and electronics from one side to slide a quill stem on anyway and you will probably have to put longer brake/shifter cables on and extend the wires with a 300mm riser stem. That said, I agree with @soyabean that if you need that much riser you probably have the wrong frame.

Back