Questions about the Hydra

Same boat... After the email, I waited several days before finally reaching out to Pushkar directly via text, since I still hadn't received the call or any responses to the communications that I'd sent. He DID reply fairly quickly, but I find it really unfortunate that it seems the only way to get communication is to directly message the owner, which has got to put a huge stress on the already stretched bandwidth that they seem to have.

I'm also in the same boat/question about "what now?" with regards to that email and the supposed $150 credit. Is that for future orders, can it be used to upgrade/modify something on the bike? Honestly, I'd be fine just forgoing the credit given some type of communication/progress, but as of yet there's been no follow up.

Honestly, the largest question I have at this point is what was their actual throughput during the last 4 weeks? Did they succeed in getting a few dozen bikes out? Or are we talking 4? I recognize that not ALL of the buyers (or honestly even a majority) will be members on this forum. But I've not really seen a bunch of posts lately from people finally receiving their Hydras.

@pushkar - could you please send out some type of update as the one from early September, and just give ANY type of update. I really don't care about good vs bad news, I understand things happen, and especially right now during a pandemic/supply chain issues, there's going to be holdups. But those can either be handled well through good communication and openness, or poorly through silence and question. I know I'm not the only one feeling the same.

My Hydra order from the end of January just shipped last Thursday. During that time, I reached out to Watt Wagons zero times. My sole question about customs clearance was promptly answered. Take from that what you will.

My Hydra order from the end of January just shipped last Thursday. During that time, I reached out to Watt Wagons zero times. My sole question about customs clearance was promptly answered. Take from that what you will.
What's the point to this post?

I think he was just sharing his experience with WattWagons. ā€œTake from this what you willā€ is a non confrontational way of asking people to think for themselves.

It's amazing how different we all are as human beings. :)

In addition to that - two or more of us will be speaking english, using the same word but be thinking it communicates something totally different than what the next person thinks it communicates.

I was in a seminar one time where the whole room was devised up into groups of 4. Your group chose the word sex or the word learning. Then we each wrote down ten things we associate with that word. Then with dramatic pomp and circumstance the facilitator acted like it was a big competition to see which group had the most matching associated words out of 10. He starts out calling for what group had all 10 the same then keeps working down acting a little more bewildered each time.

Long story short, it's lucky if a group has two associated words/thoughts in common out of 10.

And we go around thinking were saying the same thing.

Iā€™ve never had any major issues in communicating with Pushkar. I text him and sometimes it takes him a few days to respond which I understand.

@Cuz Vinny - the times I've directly texted (via SMS) him, I have as well received communication back (typically within a day). What I was referring to in my post is that Watt Wagons' site has multiple other methods of communication:
  • The Chat Bubble
  • A Contact Phone #
  • Email Form
Besides the alternative forms of communication which Pushkar seems to also utilize
  • EBR Messaging
  • EBR Posts/Replies
Before texting Pushkar directly, I had tried to use the chat bubble, texting their phone number, the email form, as well as messaging and mentioning him on EBR. It is THOSE messages that go unanswered. Which goes to my point of
(...) I find it really unfortunate that it seems the only way to get communication is to directly message the owner, which has got to put a huge stress on the already stretched bandwidth that they seem to have.

As for
What's the point to this post?
I think @Acme hit it on the nose, they were just sharing experience, which serves as relaying information that others may or may not find useful. I personally DO find it useful. Given that they mention their order was from the "end of January", until today, that gives information that Watt Wagons was processing an order with a lag time of about eight months (versus the 45-60 days currently listed on their status page šŸ˜‚). That gives us (some) information that I didn't have before. However, without information about the specs of their bike (maybe they requested a frame that hasn't been in stock?) it's still a little vague. But it IS information none-the-less. Whether or not it's useful to you is only something you can decide. But I do appreciate @TDA78 for the information regardless.

My Hydra order from the end of January just shipped last Thursday.
My Hydra order is from Jan 31st around noon PST, didn't ship... I've not really finalized order yet? -- I don't exactly know, last I heard frame was being painted couple months(?) ago now.

I'll kinda just copy/past my last comment, cause nothing really changed..
Whatever it'll all work out in end, just kinda annoying. Yes there are tons of excuses to be made, who could forsee... but then you look at parts availablity page, updated just over a month ago saying 45-60 days. That sounded pretty unrealistic when I saw it, someone ordering Aug1st would expect shipment Sept15-30th. Even if all parts to build bikes suddenly showed up, if you're painting bikes for orders <= Feb.. you're going to fill entire backlog AND also get this order from Aug1st completed by end of Sept? Seemed/seems totally unrealistic to me. That's not due to some unforseen delay, that just due to setting unrealistic expectations.
Although now with one more example, claiming in email all orders will be sent out, in order, in the next 4 weeks. And then not even being able to get all Jan orders out. Again I'm not complaining about how long things take per-say, its setting unrealistic/optimistic expectations. I mean I'm sure people are pinging him asking for updates. Give no update and people are unhappy, try to give best update as far as he knows and people are unhappy.. hard to win. I assume promptness of reponses also depends on questions being asked.. harder to answer questions when you don't have an good answer.

Last edited:
I think all this is supply chain oriented. Many months ago there were issues with getting the frames. There was a dust up up between Pushkar and the frame manufacturer over large shipping fee increases as well as other things that had been previously negotiated and contracts had been signed. The Chinese decided to renegotiate the contract because they were in a position of power. Pushkar did not give them everything they wanted and they essentially took revenge on him not supplying him with the frames. some of you may remember I posted about a month ago that Pushkar finally received a large shipment of frames. I think he said enough mediums to fill all the orders at that time. not sure about smalls and larges. Now Pushkar is able to push a lot of product out. However there is still shortages of other components.
One thing I can say for sure is that Pushkar is trying very hard to run a successful expanding business In a world that has shortages of everything. I have waited more than a week for him to get back to me at times. On the other hand I have had conversations with him lasted more than an hour. I was one of the first people to order a Hydra. It took 7 months (original estimate 90 days) but I know it couldā€™ve been longer because I was lucky enough to have my frame get shipped before the manufacturer decided to slow down deliveries. it wasnā€˜t perfect, the brake lines needed to be shortened so I needed to do a little work but Iā€™m still happy
Now I have a third on order for friends and family I sure hope itā€™s not going to take six months to get it but if it does Iā€™m not going to complain.
I was out riding today and I feel great. I hope you all get your bikes soon and the wait will be nothing but a distant memory.

I want to add a note on frame size. I am 6ā€™2, 32ā€ inseam. I have one large and one medium. For trails or anything technical I always prefer the medium. To make it perfect for my size I would add a 7ā€ dropper on it instead of the 6ā€ and maybe some 30mm rise bars.

Gary
pics from my ride today

Attachments

• 604A12AD-AF7E-4C66-A471-BAA4B1F317C0.jpeg
    604A12AD-AF7E-4C66-A471-BAA4B1F317C0.jpeg
    666.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 8ADF11B2-D4FC-4CA8-B9E3-95FBCB83D19E.jpeg
    8ADF11B2-D4FC-4CA8-B9E3-95FBCB83D19E.jpeg
    855.5 KB · Views: 236
Really looking forward for it to trend.
I'm curious what current Hyrda owners are applying them for.
Pics of a blast ride in their local area or a trip to the local supermarket.
My attempt to add fun while I wait.
They let you bring the bike in the supermarket?

Not super uncomon where I live, basically anyone with an expensive bike will just bring it in. I don't recall anyone having a problem with it.

Mine both came with the chain guard and it has hit many rocks so I consider it a good idea.

Given that they mention their order was from the "end of January", until today, that gives information that Watt Wagons was processing an order with a lag time of about eight months (versus the 45-60 days currently listed on their status page šŸ˜‚). That gives us (some) information that I didn't have before. However, without information about the specs of their bike (maybe they requested a frame that hasn't been in stock?) it's still a little vague. But it IS information none-the-less. Whether or not it's useful to you is only something you can decide. But I do appreciate @TDA78 for the information regardless.
I ordered a large Hydra with default components and a single Cerakote color.

It's currently sitting at the border and I'm waiting for a customs invoice.

Sorry for my previous terse post. I can see how it could be misinterpreted as other than simple facts. I should have held off posting when the kids started fighting.

Since I've been posting here a little about my (potentially im)patience for this order, thought I'd update everyone with my latest experiences. I'd texted Pushkar last week and he said that they were hoping to be able to work on my build/ship in the next 2-3 weeks, though waiting on motors. I was hopeful, but after the September email, was trying to hold back my excitement.

Well, I just received this email:

We have your bike build scheduled for this week. We are awaiting motors so will ship out as soon as they are here.

A few questions on your order
1. We dont have the DVO shipment yet- We have Machete (black, no change in price), Suntour Aion (black, no change in price), and Mezzer Pro ( $459 change in price),
2. Rear shock, we are upgrading you to the Mara. No change in price.
3. Brakes : We have Dominion A4 instead of 7e. Let us know - works really well, comparable performance.
4. Front Lights - the light chip is not here yet so we are not able to install it yet. We can give you $35 credit for that.
5. Rear light - we can install rear light on the saddle but we feel that the wires will show. We can swap it out for a 200 lumen motion sensitive light from magic shine. Let us know if that works. Credit will be $50 for that.

Let us know if that works and we can get the build sorted asap.

I've already replied, but for most of the items don't really know bike parts well enough to make any specific choices. I did ask to cancel the rear light since they brought it up, as I actually have a Garmin Varia and that works well for me.

Regardless, I'm excited to see progress, and even more excited that my bike may be built this week (hoping the motors don't hold it back too long).

For reference, my order was on June 25, #1400, Specs:

1635116336428.png

Back