Questions about the Hydra

Also, isn'the there a certain amount of lag time before the Air tag system started notifying "Hey you're carrying an Air tag with you - following you"? I thought it was up to 3 days at first. Even if time is shortened by Apple a person coming out of a store and seeing their locked up bike gone may be able to act effectively.

That was discussed through the Air tag thread as well.

Hey everyone, thanks for the info about the kickstand. It wasn't that important to me, just didn't realize that was a norm - though it completely makes sense for actual MTB's to not have due to the reasons stated. Honestly, this is my first GOOD bike and I can't wait to get it in.

I've typically had MTB form factors before, but from like WalMart - or my current Juiced Rip Current. The hydra is definitely a step up in a lot of areas. I really don't have mountains around me, and am more getting the bike for commuter/transportation use - I just appreciate the mtb form factor a lot more than other more conventional commuter form factors. Though I hope to be able to use it in the wild and give it the terrain it looks built for.

This did raise a question for me though, @Deacon Blues and @Cuz Vinny mentioned something along the lines of carbon frames/kickstands. Is there anything specific/special I should be aware of with regards to having a carbon frame instead? I was more aware/thought that one of the benefits of a carbon frame was lighter weight and still resilient, but are there characteristics/traits that I should be aware of/important to not damage it?

Thanks all for the info too on the ongoing GPS wait. That's what I was figuring since I didn't see any further information on the WW site, but didn't know if anyone was supplanting in the meantime with other solutions. The airtag is definitely an option, though since I don't have any apple products, I'm going to look at potential other alternatives too. The airtags are definitely a smart play by apple though.

Agree, furthest I have been from my bike is in the convenience store and could see it from the windows, no gps for me either but rather lean on a consistent kickstand for balance.

I am going to start carrying an apple air tag so my wife can find me if needed, especially while riding with my record of falls.

all my opinion for my use of an ebike

Sounds good at first thought. Accept it currently is in vogue when people steal to have commentators say how badly they must have needed something.

You may be close enough to watch a person conditioned that they NEED your bike, because it's better than theirs, jump on and ride off.

Agree, furthest I have been from my bike is in the convenience store and could see it from the windows, no gps for me either but rather lean on a consistent kickstand for balance.

I am going to start carrying an apple air tag so my wife can find me if needed, especially while riding with my record of falls.

all my opinion for my use of an ebike

Good article about testing with a bike and how it actually did in the real world.

i promise to read , inhurry to get on today bike but at least I am not hiding it , an outside pocket with a zipper will do :)

Merle…lottery ticket in “safe“ area , maybe a piece of chocolate on bad day , can’t be helped…lottery tickets are for wife who gets those instead of flowers , can’t help it

Sounds good at first thought. Accept it currently is in vogue when people steal to have commentators say how badly they must have needed something.

You may be close enough to watch a person conditioned that they NEED your bike, because it's better than theirs, jump on and ride off.
I had someone actually try and knock me off my Turbo Levo once and take it. He found out the hard way that was a bad idea and I found out a MTB pump can work as a night stick rather nicely. 🤪

Was it the Dell dude? Maybe he was just trying to do you a favor?

1628116066157.png

Thought I would chime in here. I’m not sure exactly how many people have received Hydras so far but I’m pretty sure it’s more than a couple handfuls. I spoke with Pushkar recently about lead times for another Hydra. He has just hired an additional person to the team to speed up assembly. He is new so you never know if he will work out but it sounds promising. There is a big shipment of medium frames that should arrive very soon. unless there are some damaged ones these will be more than he currently has orders for. He said a new order could be built out in 60 to 90 days. Of course this depends on what components you want. If you’ll take what he has in stock like me then I think this is a good estimate. I’m not sure about the small and large frames.
My personal opinion is these frames are on the large side if you compare them to turbo levo. I am at 6‘2” with a 32 inch inseam. I can ride the medium or the large equally well. I have the 6”dropper mounted approximately 1/2 inch above the lowest setting in the large and 2 1/2 inches above the lowest setting in the medium. The main difference for me is the top tube is an inch longer on the large. This is stable for climbing and descents but harder to maneuver on tight switchbacks.

I ordered mine in mid June and was told 60 days, I tried to configure my bike with all in stock components. Now that we've exceeded that 60 day date, I have still yet to hear back about any of my inquiries by email.

I definitely am a proponent of patience. However I am also one who helps run a business myself, and basically my only issue so far with Watt Wagons is communication/updates after order. I appreciate the transparency of items out of availability - that at least gives me an idea of potential holdups in their pipeline.

But, having a "current estimated lead time" advertised on their site from 45-60 days, and placing an order (much like kwseattle with what were in stock components), without any move of status on the order status is a little disheartening. Especially when you sink way over $5000 on it. I'm not saying I can't wait, but the customer experience would be greatly improved by simply having some more information available/displayed on the site. Other statuses like "parts acquisition, painting, assembly, tuning", whatever - so that you can see that something has happened.

Else I'm just sitting here with one breaking ebike that I'm trying to replace, thousands of dollars out of my account, with no indication anything has happened. I've tried reaching out to @pushkar on here via DM, really just trying to get a short "order a cheap bike to hold over" or "next week!". Nothing. I've reached out to the support chat bubble that assaults you anytime you go to the watt wagons webpage - and again nothing. I ended up texting the number on the wattwagons site last week asking for a callback to discuss parts -I actually heard back from them letting me know that they'd call me Monday. And then nothing. I texted yesterday the same number that replied so quickly last week - and crickets now.

A business is broken or made by communication in many different regards. I started off one of my threads here by basically expressing my gratitude for Pushkar for helping me out before making a purchase. That was great communication and help on his part, and I was moved by that gesture and compelled to express my appreciation, as my experience was stellar. However, since then, bi-directional communication has been basically non-existent, which can impact that overall experience greatly.

Yes, a large part of this is excitement/waiting for a new bike, but that's not just because of a new toy for me, it's literally because it's my transportation given my disability/inability to drive anymore.

I'll continue to wait for now, as I'd like to believe in the brand given my initial experience. For now at least.

I definitely am a proponent of patience. However I am also one who helps run a business myself, and basically my only issue so far with Watt Wagons is communication/updates after order. I appreciate the transparency of items out of availability - that at least gives me an idea of potential holdups in their pipeline.

But, having a "current estimated lead time" advertised on their site from 45-60 days, and placing an order (much like kwseattle with what were in stock components), without any move of status on the order status is a little disheartening. Especially when you sink way over $5000 on it. I'm not saying I can't wait, but the customer experience would be greatly improved by simply having some more information available/displayed on the site. Other statuses like "parts acquisition, painting, assembly, tuning", whatever - so that you can see that something has happened.

Else I'm just sitting here with one breaking ebike that I'm trying to replace, thousands of dollars out of my account, with no indication anything has happened. I've tried reaching out to @pushkar on here via DM, really just trying to get a short "order a cheap bike to hold over" or "next week!". Nothing. I've reached out to the support chat bubble that assaults you anytime you go to the watt wagons webpage - and again nothing. I ended up texting the number on the wattwagons site last week asking for a callback to discuss parts -I actually heard back from them letting me know that they'd call me Monday. And then nothing. I texted yesterday the same number that replied so quickly last week - and crickets now.

A business is broken or made by communication in many different regards. I started off one of my threads here by basically expressing my gratitude for Pushkar for helping me out before making a purchase. That was great communication and help on his part, and I was moved by that gesture and compelled to express my appreciation, as my experience was stellar. However, since then, bi-directional communication has been basically non-existent, which can impact that overall experience greatly.

Yes, a large part of this is excitement/waiting for a new bike, but that's not just because of a new toy for me, it's literally because it's my transportation given my disability/inability to drive anymore.

I'll continue to wait for now, as I'd like to believe in the brand given my initial experience. For now at least.
Pushkar was on vacation for a week. I’m sure he will be updating people on their orders soon.

@Cuz Vinny - I totally get about last week, which is why I texted last week the contact # on the site asking for a call this week when possible. It was whoever replied that gave me the expectation to receive a reply on Monday. And the previous comment about messaging pushkar was like 2.5-3 weeks ago, met with crickets.

Again, reaching out would be completely negated if there were more transparency on the order status page about actual movement of the process.

I just want to point out here there is a difference between stock components and in stock components. My post also points out that he recently got a big shipment of size medium frames therefore he can deliver a bunch of medium orders. He can only give you what he has. I don’t mind if he doesn’t get back to me for a week or more sometimes I know Pushkar is there I know he’s working. I assume he doesn’t have any good news and like most people doesn’t like giving bad news. I was one of the first to order a Hydra and recently ordered a 3rd. For me (a fit 58) they are perfect. I love them and haven’t seen anything comparable out there to what he offers not to mention the customization aspect.
Pushkar is the Founder/Owner of Wattwagons and I still get to talk with him when he has time for me. That is really cool.

I just want to point out here there is a difference between stock components and in stock components. My post also points out that he recently got a big shipment of size medium frames therefore he can deliver a bunch of medium orders. He can only give you what he has. I don’t mind if he doesn’t get back to me for a week or more sometimes I know Pushkar is there I know he’s working. I assume he doesn’t have any good news and like most people doesn’t like giving bad news. I was one of the first to order a Hydra and recently ordered a 3rd. For me (a fit 58) they are perfect. I love them and haven’t seen anything comparable out there to what he offers not to mention the customization aspect.
Pushkar is the Founder/Owner of Wattwagons and I still get to talk with him when he has time for me. That is really cool.
My frame was supposed to be shipped out rather quickly because it’s not a complete bike. Well Pushkar didn’t like the paint job so he sent it back to get painted again. He could have just sent the frame as is but he wants things to be perfect for his customers. This is why I don’t mind the wait. This is my second Hydra and I’m now thinking of doing another bike with him but something completely different this time.

customer experience would be greatly improved by simply having some more information available/displayed on the site. Other statuses like "parts acquisition, painting, assembly, tuning", whatever - so that you can see that something has happened
This ^^

Patience grasshopper, the wait is well worth it.
My main issue is that very shortly it will begin raining relentlessly for about 6 months in Seattle lol

I've also not gotten a response from the two other emails I've sent, my concern was that I spec'd the bike with MT5e brakes but they're supposedly out of stock until January, so I needed to know if I had to pay extra for the MT7e to keep the timeline on track

My main issue is that very shortly it will begin raining relentlessly for about 6 months in Seattle lol

I've also not gotten a response from the two other emails I've sent, my concern was that I spec'd the bike with MT5e brakes but they're supposedly out of stock until January, so I needed to know if I had to pay extra for the MT7e to keep the timeline on track
I was actually able to source some MT5E brakes from an online vendor so they are out there. Now if I had the option to go with the MT7E well that’s a no brainer.

Back