Properly tensioning the cable for the rear shimano shifter

ebikerr

Region
USA
I had to remove the rear cable, but when I fit it back, it was quite difficult, and in 5th gear I can hear that typical sound when it appears that the shifter needs more slack on the cable. I find attaching the cable extremely tedious and fiddly. Any tips on getting it right the first time?
Some pictures on what angle to insert in etc., ?

I am doing it in gear 3 as advised. but its quite annoying and more difficult than it should be, so I am wondering there is some technique I am not aware off

I had to remove the rear cable, but when I fit it back, it was quite difficult, and in 5th gear I can hear that typical sound when it appears that the shifter needs more slack on the cable. I find attaching the cable extremely tedious and fiddly. Any tips on getting it right the first time?
Some pictures on what angle to insert in etc., ?

I am doing it in gear 3 as advised. but its quite annoying and more difficult than it should be, so I am wondering there is some technique I am not aware off
When installing a cable you want to just snug it up. That's the easy part. You will always have to tune the shifting of the derailleur after a cable install. Sometimes you might get lucky and it's quick and easy.

Skip towards the end because you aren't replacing, just attaching to the derailleur.

Back