Pro -vs- 75 Year Old eBiker

Doing that to a hardcore roadie is just so much wicked fun. I wuz just moseying up a fairly mild 7 mile grade at about 11 mph when a gal
with the most massive thighs & calves I´ve seen zipped pass me on a carbon bike. My e-mtn had panniers fore & aft, & an inframe which I quickly
decided made for a suitable handicap. Feeling a mite affronted by the rude pass, I kept pace behind her for about a 1/2 mile, & then said what the
hell & kicked up my cadence. She chased me for all she was worth for about 5 miles ´til I lost sight of her 1/2 a mile back. Golly that wuz fun!:p
Its not just a hardcore roadie but one 'with attitude'. I have come across many hardcore roadies including a guy I worked for and he liked the challenge of trying to keep up with me. I have also passed roadies who got in my draft and tailed me for many miles on a high headwind ride (it was a class 1 ebike) and thanked me afterwards. I am very respectful and courteous to a respectful/friendly cyclist.

Where I ride (around boulder, co) there are alot of world class cyclist so I have come across all types. So many stories. I have come up on some seriously fast cyclist with thighs as big as my waist (impressive to follow) who were super nice as I have come up on them and then there are guys(and girls) who just have 'the attitude' and get super mad and start yelling at you or even swerving to cut you off as you pass.

I have also had my $ss handed to me by super fit cyclists in just the right conditions (downhill and downwind in 30mph wind, again on my class 1 ebike) where their 52T chainring allow them to just pull away. This will happen many times in low load situations (downhill & downwind) when Im on my class 1 ebike or even my lower power european based class 3 ebike. Best advice in this situation is to just sit back and wait till they need to apply alot of power (hill, headwind or both)

Favorite pass was a roadie guy with seriously bad attitude and I was on my Juiced CCX. Lots of cyclist out and he was scolding everyone who didnt yield to him as he passed. We came up on an bike path intersection and merged with a few cyclists and just as he quit yelling at them I passed him yelling the same thing to him. Luckily it was an uphill section in a good headwind and he didnt have a chance.

Just today on a ride, came up on a guy who I guessed to be a hardcore cyclecross/gravel type as we came up on quite alot of hikers and slower cyclist. He seemed super respectful and considerate so I just sat back, turned down the assist and gave him room(which ne noticed), I followed him till it was apparent he was going to just follow a few guys(possibly friends) and then passed and complimented him on his salsa cutthroat as I passed.

"Nice bike dude" goes along way :cool:

Last edited:
Its not just a hardcore roadie but one 'with attitude'. I have come across many hardcore roadies including a guy I worked for and he liked the challenge of trying to keep up with me. I have also passed roadies who got in my draft and tailed me for many miles on a high headwind ride (it was a class 1 ebike) and thanked me afterwards. I am very respectful and courteous to a respectful/friendly cyclist.

Where I ride (around boulder, co) there are alot of world class cyclist so I have come across all types. So many stories. I have come up on some seriously fast cyclist with thighs as big as my waist (impressive to follow) who were super nice as I have come up on them and then there are guys(and girls) who just have 'the attitude' and get super mad and start yelling at you or even swerving to cut you off as you pass.

I have also had my $ss handed to me by super fit cyclists in just the right conditions (downhill and downwind in 30mph wind, again on my class 1 ebike) where their 52T chainring allow them to just pull away. This will happen many times in low load situations (downhill & downwind) when Im on my class 1 ebike or even my lower power european based class 3 ebike. Best advice in this situation is to just sit back and wait till they need to apply alot of power (hill, headwind or both)

Favorite pass was a roadie guy with seriously bad attitude and I was on my Juiced CCX. Lots of cyclist out and he was scolding everyone who didnt yield to him as he passed. We came up on an bike path intersection and merged with a few cyclists and just as he quit yelling at them I passed him yelling the same thing to him. Luckily it was an uphill section in a good headwind and he didnt have a chance.

Just today on a ride, came up on a guy who I guessed to be a hardcore cyclecross/gravel type as we came up on quite alot of hikers and slower cyclist. He seemed super respectful and considerate so I just sat back, turned down the assist and gave him room(which ne noticed), I followed him till it was apparent he was going to just follow a few guys(possibly friends) and then passed and complimented him on his salsa cutthroat as I passed.

"Nice bike dude" goes along way :cool:
Mine is just a reaction to the attitude I get from some riders, which has declined in the last 4 years. When I first went electric I got quite a few
contemptuous glares from roadies which I answered by leaving them in the dust. One by one the older riders around here are disappearing
or seldom seen anymore. The old guy who was by inspiration 15 years when I was still on a road bike kinda passed me the torch. I continued
my daily rides religiously, but age & so many injuries were taking their toll on me. Gradually my routes were getting shorter & more difficult.
The joy of riding was fading. Not so long ago I saw that old guy having a terrible time, riding a few yards, stopplng & starting again . Finally he just
laid the bike down & left it there, It was still laying there when I rode by the next day.. Iḿ sure he was 90 something. It was a very sad thing.
Maybe when I´m 90 I´ll just use the throttle. & when roadies pass me, I can say ´nice bike dude´, even as I sometimes do these days.

Since it s seems like alot of times we post 'negative' posts, I though I would post probably the most positive experience I have ever had in awhile.

I was in the last 5 miles of a ride on my iZIP Moda E3 speed pedelec coming up a good 6% hill for a few miles. Bikers out everywhere (acoustic and ebikers). I saw this super fit MTBr ahead and decide to just sit back at about 15mph and tail him. As the grade steepened, I determined a pass was in order and this guy who was probably in his mid 40s was just cranking up the hill. Even doing 20mph, it took everything I had to catch/pass him in turbo mode. I didnt think anything more about it until he came up and passed me on a flatter gravel section at just over 20mph which is a good clip for an acoustic MTB. We had a great conversation for a good 5 minutes. He worked for shimano/pearl izumi locally and was genuinely interested in ebikes. Turn out he lives a block away from me.

Like you, linklemming, I managed to experience several pleasant encounters with roadies on my mountain (and not only) road rides, especially when I was on group rides together with my brother. Whenever a roadie is passing us, Jacek and I feel a little race and pursuing the roadie would be good for our workout.

Once, we were on a "quickie" mountain ride (the objective was to make the planned trip possibly fast) and we met a young competing cyclist. (He later told us we had been on a segment of Tour de Pologne). Me and brother were capable to pass the roadie uphill but he was beating us downhill. The boy had a lot of fun and he often was showing us the right riding directions with his hand when he was in front of us. He actually made us very tired and we gave up 5 km to the destination to take a short rest!

On another ride in the flatland, Jacek and I were on a 70-miler. In the very warm afternoon, we were very tired and demoralised. And we could spot a roadie far away in the front of us. We looked at each other and went into a hot pursuit. (We could not use too much of assistance or we wouldn't make the trip on our batteries). It was a long race; finally I caught with the roadie:
-- Hi! The peloton's caught you! -- I smiled at the roadie. He looked at my bike (that was the hub-drive one):
-- Ah. That's that sort of bikes you're riding! I thought it was something very wrong with me when I could spot two tourists pursuing me... :D

On another mountain ride, we made friends with a roadie in his late 30s. That part of the ride consisted mostly of steep inclines combined with the segments on the flat. On the worst climb, our new friend Marcin had to walk his bike uphill; Jacek and I made the segment riding (I was in Turbo and in the granny gear on the Vado). It was some 25 km of riding together. I had to make two technical stops (having a drink; and swapping the battery). Whenever we were catching Marcin, he was laughing: "Take another rest, guys! You'll catch me again anyway!" :)

1604216428676.png

Marcin completing his steepest climb. I was waiting with my camera for him.

1604217045290.png

My brother (right) making friends with Marcin.

I'm happy to see these mostly positive encounters with serious road bikers and I hope the trend continues in this direction. I'm as guilty as the next e-biker of occasionally showing up a roadie. Unfortunately, for the most part, the results have not been so friendly. From many of the comments I've received, I'm afraid I've simply hardened the roadie dislike of e-bikes. Now, when I see a roadie approaching, instead of speeding up, I slow down and let him pass with a compliment on his ride. On the rare occasion when I overtake a roadie, I either slow down to match his speed or stop for a sip of water. Avoiding confrontation rather than provoking it seems to be the best approach at least in the places I ride.

The encounters I enjoy the most are those with conventional bikers who, like me, are getting older and find biking to be less enjoyable & more of a chore. Almost all are very curious about e-bikes and I always take the time to answer their questions. On occasion, I'll let them try my e-bike. The feeling I get when I see the their faces light up from the thrilling experience is just priceless. I've actually made a couple of friends this way.

Two years ago, on a Thursday I stopped by on my ebike at a local cafe/bike repair shop named Cafe Velo, It is run by a charming couple, she in the kitchen, he twisting wrenches. There was a group of older, mostly retired roadies gathering outside their weekly group ride. One of them, with a little Spiderman doll hanging off his saddle, spat out "cheater". I replied, "You got that right, cheating the Grim Reaper".

The following week I arrived at Cafe Velo at the appointed time and began to chat up a few members of the group. I asked them if they would mind if I joined them. I could see a momentary hesitation on the part of some but they nodded and gave me the okay. I, put my bike in a lower assist mode and laid back near the rear of the pack for the ride. After the ride the group sat at a picnic table outside Cafe Velo and had a cold bear or cider and a lunch of sandwiches named after various stages of the Tour de France. I joined them and when they asked about my bike and background, I told them about my near death heart attack and how the bike had brought me back to a level of fitness I had not experienced in several decades.

The following week I moved up more toward the middle and when we turned a corner into a strong headwind I surged up to the lead, being careful to keep a pace that the rest of the group could tuck in behind me. They all got the benefit of my electric motor. Them I joined them on a longer Tuesday ride that runs 35-45 miles and assembles in a nearby town. Now I ride with them three days a week. I .will usually ride with the fast group and often take the lead at 25+ mph giving them a draft. This gives them at least 2 mph boost over what they could do as a group without an ebike at the lead.

Last year, I stopped by the local ebike shop and "Spiderman", who turned out to be a retired Doctor from Australia and a really funny guy, was buying a Haibike, ebike. I asked him teasingly, "What you're a cheater now" He said, I've developed atrial fibrillation and I can't let my heart rate get over 120 or the A-fib is triggered. An ebike will let me keep riding. I said, "Welcome to the dark side."

When I was laid up after my cancer surgery back in September, I would come down and join them for lunch, even though I couldn't ride with them. They were all, incredibly supportive and encouraging. Now that I am back, post surgery, and riding strong again, I am back to Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday rides with them. At 70 I am probably at the median age. I admire and respect these lifelong bike riders who keep after it, are so much fun, and come from interesting, varied backgrounds. Its like any other group of regulars, we talk politics, religion, family joys and sorrows, tease and poke at each other, laugh and ride.

20190713_095119.jpg

group.jpg

DSCF0161.jpg

Last edited:
Another ebike pretending to be something it´s not. Just put it right out there, & tell it like it is. I´m a geezer & ebikes make riding fun again.
Not my style either but...different strokes. There are so many different use cases and bikes to meet a wide variety of needs and preferences. Dig what you ride and let others do the same.

A little off topic but on the subject of biker's attitude: For 14 years I had a small ranch, 110 acres, 35 miles W of Austin, TX. Lance Armstrong had some property a few miles E of us. This was serious competitive cyclist territory. See em most every day riding past my place. It was common to come up on two to five guys riding alongside each other and not willing to go into single file for a truck or car wanting to pass. And straight aways where safe passing could occur were miles apart. Can you believe that? I don't know if that crap still goes on around Austin but I wouldn't doubt it. I live much further out W now and the bikers are fewer and further between.

Two years ago, on a Thursday I stopped by on my ebike at a local cafe/bike repair shop named Cafe Velo, It is run by a charming couple, she in the kitchen, he twisting wrenches. There was a group of older, mostly retired roadies gathering outside their weekly group ride. One of them, with a little Spiderman doll hanging off his saddle, spat out "cheater". I replied, "You got that right, cheating the Grim Reaper".

The following week I arrived at Cafe Velo at the appointed time and began to chat up a few members of the group. I asked them if they would mind if I joined them. I could see a momentary hesitation on the part of some but they nodded and gave me the okay. I, put my bike in a lower assist mode and laid back near the rear of the pack for the ride. After the ride the group sat at a picnic table outside Cafe Velo and has a cold bear or cider and a lunch of sandwiches named after various stages of the Tour de France. I joined them and when they asked about my bike a background, I told them about my near death heart attack and how the bike had brought me back to a level of fitness I had not experienced in several decades.

The following week I moved up more toward the middle and when we turned a corner into a strong headwind I surged up to the lead, being careful to keep a pace that the rest of the group could tuck in behind me. They all got the benefit of my electric motor. Them I joined them on a longer Tuesday ride that runs 35-45 miles and assembles in a nearby town. Now I ride with them three days a week.

Last year, I stopped by the local ebike shop and "Spiderman", who turned out to be a retired Doctor from Australia and a really funny guy, was buying a Haibike, ebike. I asked him teasingly, "What you're a cheater now" He said, I've developed atrial fibrillation and I can't let my heart rate get over 120 or the A-fib is triggered. An ebike will let me keep riding. I said, "Welcome to the dark side."

When I was laid up after my cancer surgery back in September, I would come down and join them for lunch, even though I couldn't ride with them. They were all, incredibly supportive and encouraging. Now that I am back, post surgery, and riding strong again, I am back to Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday rides with them. At 70 I am probably at the median age. I admire and respect these lifelong bike riders who keep after it, are so much fun, and come from interesting, varied backgrounds. Its like any other group of regulars, we talk politics, religion, family joys and sorrows, tease and poke at each other, laugh and ride.

View attachment 70304

View attachment 70305

View attachment 70306
1604251816969.png
Okay, I´m a 71 year old cheater with multiple sources of traumatic arthritis, but I ride every day. The number of old roadies around here
has dwindled considerably. I know of a couple who´ve gone on to gas scooters. Those still riding are doing so less frequently on shorter rides
just as I did before becoming a ´cheater´. I pedal more now than I did, though it involves less strenuous effort. My joints thank me. My morale
is great. I wish I´d started ´cheating´ sooner. Those who still show contempt do so looking at my backside.

A little off topic but on the subject of biker's attitude: For 14 years I had a small ranch, 110 acres, 35 miles W of Austin, TX. Lance Armstrong had some property a few miles E of us. This was serious competitive cyclist territory. See em most every day riding past my place. It was common to come up on two to five guys riding alongside each other and not willing to go into single file for a truck or car wanting to pass. And straight aways where safe passing could occur were miles apart. Can you believe that? I don't know if that crap still goes on around Austin but I wouldn't doubt it. I live much further out W now and the bikers are fewer and further between.
Here in Washington state courtesy is the norm, by bike riders and drivers alike. Perhaps that general politeness is a result of our proximity to Canada, a place of overwhelming courtesy and decorum. Of course there is the occasional, hyped up, impatient jerk in a pickup truck or group of arrogant young roadies who think they own the road. Fortunately both are very rare around here.

Courtesy may be the norm, but there are definitely exceptions! Most roadies are pretty good about not hogging the road.
There are still a few drivers that would be happy to put you in the ditch if they thought they´d get away with it. Fortunately
cycling infrastructure continues to improve in Washington as more bike lanes are being added. What part of the state are you in, Alaskan?

Back