Priority Current: Class 3 Urban Mid-Drive Belt E-Bike, 500W, Integrated Removable 500WH Battery, 140 NM, $3300 S/M/L

I would agree that the 5 speed does seem limited. The Haibike you suggest as an alternative looks good except for the class 1 problem. If only they had made it a class 3 bike.
Oh no, it IS limited! Riders of that bike are going to need all of that torque available from that motor when it comes to hills of anykind. Again, for the life of me, I don't know why somebody is going to go to the lengths Priority did in putting a Gates Carbon Drive on their bike and then slap a measily 5 speed IGH on it.

There are ways of getting around the 20 mph cutout on the Yamaha....

Oh no, it IS limited! Riders of that bike are going to need all of that torque available from that motor when it comes to hills of anykind. Again, for the life of me, I don't know why somebody is going to go to the lengths Priority did in putting a Gates Carbon Drive on their bike and then slap a measily 5 speed IGH on it.

My guess is that Enviolo either couldn't supply them or they couldn't get the price down where they needed to with the Enviolo. FWIW, I've have tried the Enviolo Current and the Enviolo had almost too much range for me. I wish they would have gone "upmarket" and put the Enviolo Automatiq on the bike, even at a >3K price. I'm a big fan on the Yamaha motor, so I wish they would have used that motor as well. That said, I'm not going to buy a Haibike for $3200 and then hack the motor to make it a class 3. That just seems silly. There are plenty of class three bikes out there similarly spec'd to that Haibike that are already class 3 bikes.

My guess is that Enviolo either couldn't supply them or they couldn't get the price down where they needed to with the Enviolo. FWIW, I've have tried the Enviolo Current and the Enviolo had almost too much range for me. I wish they would have gone "upmarket" and put the Enviolo Automatiq on the bike, even at a >3K price. I'm a big fan on the Yamaha motor, so I wish they would have used that motor as well. That said, I'm not going to buy a Haibike for $3200 and then hack the motor to make it a class 3. That just seems silly. There are plenty of class three bikes out there similarly spec'd to that Haibike that are already class 3 bikes.
At last check Enviolo Automatiq is like an extra $500 or $600. The Shimano Nexus Inter-5E has been discussed on this board before. Several people have mentioned it's low gearing is not low enough with a belt-drive configuration(when riding on any type of hilly terrain). And a e-bike professional mentioned that this Shimano 5-speed IGH is meant for e-bikes up to 20mph(not 28mph).

At last check Enviolo Automatiq is like an extra $500 or $600. The Shimano Nexus Inter-5E has been discussed on this board before. Several people have mentioned it's low gearing is not low enough with a belt-drive configuration(when riding on any type of hilly terrain). And a e-bike professional mentioned that this Shimano 5-speed IGH is meant for e-bikes up to 20mph(not 28mph).
Just so you know, the Current battery can be a Class 1 or a Class 3 bike. No need to "hack" it, simply program your choice in the controller. I wish Bosch, Brose and Yamaha would make this possible.

Just so you know, the Current battery can be a Class 1 or a Class 3 bike. No need to "hack" it, simply program your choice in the controller. I wish Bosch, Brose and Yamaha would make this possible.
Yes I know. The title of this thread is as a Priority Current class 3 bike. I think just about everybody as a owner will run it as a class 3 bike. That's what originally drew my interest to this bike(not as a class 1 bike).

I have the gates belt drive and 5 speed IGH and can clear 40 mph!

Damn, this ebike is now $600 more, $3300. The Cannondale Canvas Neo was on sale recently, for a similar price, much better buy IMO on looks, mechanical specs, name brand motor and dealer support.

I wonder why they raised the price so steeply - unanticipated parts costs? Demand is high and parts supply is low, so they just charge more? That hasn't really happened with other direct to consumer ebike makers .

Damn, this ebike is now $600 more, $3300. The Cannondale Canvas Neo was on sale recently, for a similar price, much better buy IMO on looks, mechanical specs, name brand motor and dealer support.

I wonder why they raised the price so steeply - unanticipated parts costs? Demand is high and parts supply is low, so they just charge more? That hasn't really happened with other direct to consumer ebike makers .
They kept the ELECTREK $300 off coupon, so it's essentially $3000.

Not so much a monster buddy, it’s the Bafang Ultramax. Now the hill, that was a monster! I was happy I had ebike for the return journey! Lol

I bet! Nevertheless it's a 1.5kW motor, no?
Yes, it’s the 1.5kW motor. It’s powerful enough for me. To be honest it’s the first ebike I’ve ever rode so can’t compare it to anything. I’ve seen some guys on here getting 2.3 - 3 kW out that motor. That’s mega! I’d like to try a hub drive or even a different motor mid drive just to see what the differences are. What do you ride?

Yes, it’s the 1.5kW motor. It’s powerful enough for me. To be honest it’s the first ebike I’ve ever rode so can’t compare it to anything. I’ve seen some guys on here getting 2.3 - 3 kW out that motor. That’s mega! I’d like to try a hub drive or even a different motor mid drive just to see what the differences are. What do you ride?
Currently, nothing! I'm just trying to put it into context. The Priority Current has an (alleged) 500w so it's a very different beast.

Currently, nothing! I'm just trying to put it into context. The Priority Current has an (alleged) 500w so it's a very different beast.
Cool, you just trying to get a handle on all the different stuff that is ebikes? I may be wrong but I’m sure I saw that bike getting a great review somewhere. To be honest I think half the power mine produces would be fine for most things. It’s great to have it but I doubt I’ll use it just as much as I thought I would. Again, not knowing anything about them I just got the one I thought was best for me. I based that on... nothing! Lol

Cool, you just trying to get a handle on all the different stuff that is ebikes? I may be wrong but I’m sure I saw that bike getting a great review somewhere. To be honest I think half the power mine produces would be fine for most things. It’s great to have it but I doubt I’ll use it just as much as I thought I would. Again, not knowing anything about them I just got the one I thought was best for me. I based that on... nothing! Lol
I actually bought the Priority Current, but I'll only get it in January. In the meantime, I enjoy hearing current owners impressions and the overall debate here.

I actually bought the Priority Current, but I'll only get it in January. In the meantime, I enjoy hearing current owners impressions and the overall debate here.
That time will fly past! You’ll be knocking the miles out in no time! I just hope you get some decent weather at that time of year to get out on it.

The Current is available through Costco for $2599, I just ordered one.
Priority very graciously honored the Costco price after I had already made a purchase using the ELECTREK code. Top notch customer service in my book. Not many steep hills in my area, but once I at least try my work commute and usual routes, I will report back on the IGH-5 speed. No problems so far with lack of range. I plan to just keep it class 1.

Back