Priority Bicycles just launched the most affordable Gates belt mid-drive e-bike

I agree that the hub on my bike looks like the Sportive model but I'm still getting 1:3.1 ratio. Can you check your bike (and can a Shimano owner check their bike)? Just raise up the back wheel and put the hub in the lowest gear and measure how many times the wheel turns when you turn the crank one time (I get 1.4 rotations). Ditto in the highest gear (I get 4.4 rotations). 4.4/1.4=3.14. Maybe I have an adjustment problem in that the hub is not going to the lowest and/or highest gear. If you believe the gear chart above the Current with the Enviolo hub should have the wheel turn 1 time for 1 crank rotation when in the lowest gear position (assuming I understand gear-inches) and ~ 4 rotations in the highest gear.

My testing came out fairly close to what was expected. I got 4.9 / 1.3 = 3.76. Make sure you're in the actual tallest gearing. Especially when the hub isn't well broken in, there's a bit of an extra click it can go into when you twist for longer gearing.

Turns out that the hub was not set up correctly. There are instructions on the excellent* Enviolo website on how to reset the overdrive. I'm now getting your numbers after I reset the hub. The process is a little tricky plus there was an error in the instructions. Unless things are way off I would tend to the sick and leave the well alone.

* The Enviolo website with a complete set of information on the Enviolo products stands in stark contrast to the Truckrun website which is worse that useless when it comes to any sort of maintenance or repair information. It remains to be seen if Current owners will be able to get their mid-drives repaired or replaced in the future (probably true of most of the 2nd tier drive manufacturers).

Thanks for posting the link to the Gear inch range chart... very useful information. ;)

View attachment 74558
I think this chart is in error WRT the Enviolo hub. The Current with this hub has a 55/22 gear set (2.5:1). The hub specs out at 0.5:1 full underdrive and 1.9:1 max overdrive. 2.5*0.5=1.25 wheel rotations for one crank rotation. With a 27 inch dia wheel then the gear inches is 27*1.25=33.75 gear inches minimum. 2.5*1.9=4.75 times 27=128.25 gear inches in full overdrive. (or I don't understand gear inches). It will be interesting to see what people get with the Shimano hub (the gear ratios are known but not the gearset).

I think this chart is in error WRT the Enviolo hub. The Current with this hub has a 55/22 gear set (2.5:1). The hub specs out at 0.5:1 full underdrive and 1.9:1 max overdrive. 2.5*0.5=1.25 wheel rotations for one crank rotation. With a 27 inch dia wheel then the gear inches is 27*1.25=33.75 gear inches minimum. 2.5*1.9=4.75 times 27=128.25 gear inches in full overdrive. (or I don't understand gear inches). It will be interesting to see what people get with the Shimano hub (the gear ratios are known but not the gearset).
The Current has 650B wheels. Which equals to 27.5 inch wheels.

For future reference for those who might still be on the fence, I've been keeping my thoughts on the bike in this thread.

Bonus Current pic:
20210118_103932.jpg

I am into my 9th month as a Priority Current owner. The Current shares ride time with an Aventon Pace 500 & AVenture. Riding the current is a seamless experience because of the belt drive and Enviolo shifter. More than the other two, it is a bike with pedal assist. I have “0” zero maintenance problems. If I have one criticism, it is the range. The battery consistently gets 30 miles between charges in hilly Lancaster, PA. If I use it in coastal New Jersey, I can get 40-45. So, I got a second battery.

An e-bike not having a front fork suspension or throttle is a deal breaker for me.
Isn’t it great to have so many e-bike choices? I don’t miss the throttle so much. If you look at the Truckrun motor used, they have, but don’t recommend a throttle. I think the Priority people designed this bike to be first a bike and second a PA bike. I would note it is fine for hills.

Ravi, thanks for sharing the motor link... interesting specs to say the least.

Keep on Truckin'! ;)

Truck Run TM01product information
  • Size L*W*H(mm) 205.5*135.5*103
  • Rated Voltage(DCV) - 36/48
    Rated Power(W) - 250/350
    Rated Speed(RPM) - 92±5/85±5
    n0(RPM) - 101±6
    Max Torque(N.M) - ≥100
    Efficiency(% - ≥80
    Weight(Kg) - 3.6
    Speed Signal - 1 Pulse/Cycle
    Noise Grade(dB) - <55
    Color - MATTE-BLACK
    Operating Temperature(℃) -20-55
  • Sensor - Speed and torque sensor
    E-Brake - Optional
    Light(DCV/W) - DCV6V3W
  • Ingress Protection IP65
  • Test&Certification EN15194/CE/ROHS
Someone on here with more knowledge about ebikes or electrical wiring will probably know the answer to this: looking at the specification here for "light," it appears that it's a direct current, 6 volt, 3 watt light output. So is this similar to the Bafang motor, which has a 6 volt, 500mAmp output (6v x .5amps = 3 watts) ? In other words, compared to the Bosch motors which can output 12 watts, the lighting on this thing will be significantly underpowered. Right? No possibility of ever upgrading the lighting on this bike to, say, a powerful B&M or supernova light?

Looks like they're back to offering both models.

It appears that Priority has brought back the Enviolo hub because they cannot get the Shimano hub (much longer delivery). It's interesting that now the Enviolo hub is more expensive, when I purchased my bike early on (at a much lower price!) the Shimano hub was the more expensive option. It's my opinion that with the Enviolo's hub 55/22 tooth crankset? the bike is geared to provide maximum speed vs. climbing steep hills. I would be interested in knowing the effective gearing for the Shimano hub (i.e. how many rotations of the back wheel with one rotation of the crank in 1st gear and 5th gear). The Enviolo hub is 1.25 rotations in full underdrive and 4.75 rotations in full overdrive (on paper, the numbers on my bike were slightly different).

It appears that Priority has brought back the Enviolo hub because they cannot get the Shimano hub (much longer delivery). It's interesting that now the Enviolo hub is more expensive, when I purchased my bike early on (at a much lower price!) the Shimano hub was the more expensive option. It's my opinion that with the Enviolo's hub 55/22 tooth crankset? the bike is geared to provide maximum speed vs. climbing steep hills. I would be interested in knowing the effective gearing for the Shimano hub (i.e. how many rotations of the back wheel with one rotation of the crank in 1st gear and 5th gear). The Enviolo hub is 1.25 rotations in full underdrive and 4.75 rotations in full overdrive (on paper, the numbers on my bike were slightly different).
I have the Shimano:
  • Gear 1 ~ 1.5x
  • Gear 5 ~ 3.5x
Pedal cadence is a bit high for me tying to maintain anything over 23mph. Short bursts I can keep 26mph, but most comfortable in the 20mph range. I rarely have to drop down to Gear 1, usually from a stop even on a steep incline I find Gear 2 fine with some PAS. I will drop from Gear 5 to 3 at most level stops. When I am on level areas with high PAS in Gear 5 I find myself boosting up to 23-24mph then coasting down to 18-20mph, otherwise I get a little bit of surge trying to keep a steady cadence and it throws me off. I actually am finding it easier to turn down PAS to 1 or 2 if I want to maintain a steady cadence on level ground, it means a little more effort but I tend to prefer the feel of it.

Side note: My bike shipped with Goodyear Transit Tour tires as opposed to the WTB Horizon tires, probably also due to sourcing constraints. Figured it might be useful info for anyone considering alternative tires for the Current.

Another side note: I tried engaging walk mode while seated on the bike and it does propel me fine, just not fast enough to really be of any use since you spend almost as much effort keeping balance at 1.5mph as you would just pedaling a bit 😁
It does work great for walking the bike through intersections though, as intended.

I have the Shimano:
  • Gear 1 ~ 1.5x
  • Gear 5 ~ 3.5x
Pedal cadence is a bit high for me tying to maintain anything over 23mph. Short bursts I can keep 26mph, but most comfortable in the 20mph range. I rarely have to drop down to Gear 1, usually from a stop even on a steep incline I find Gear 2 fine with some PAS. I will drop from Gear 5 to 3 at most level stops. When I am on level areas with high PAS in Gear 5 I find myself boosting up to 23-24mph then coasting down to 18-20mph, otherwise I get a little bit of surge trying to keep a steady cadence and it throws me off. I actually am finding it easier to turn down PAS to 1 or 2 if I want to maintain a steady cadence on level ground, it means a little more effort but I tend to prefer the feel of it.

Side note: My bike shipped with Goodyear Transit Tour tires as opposed to the WTB Horizon tires, probably also due to sourcing constraints. Figured it might be useful info for anyone considering alternative tires for the Current.

Another side note: I tried engaging walk mode while seated on the bike and it does propel me fine, just not fast enough to really be of any use since you spend almost as much effort keeping balance at 1.5mph as you would just pedaling a bit 😁
It does work great for walking the bike through intersections though, as intended.
Or up a hill!

Someone on here with more knowledge about ebikes or electrical wiring will probably know the answer to this: looking at the specification here for "light," it appears that it's a direct current, 6 volt, 3 watt light output. So is this similar to the Bafang motor, which has a 6 volt, 500mAmp output (6v x .5amps = 3 watts) ? In other words, compared to the Bosch motors which can output 12 watts, the lighting on this thing will be significantly underpowered. Right? No possibility of ever upgrading the lighting on this bike to, say, a powerful B&M or supernova light?

Bosch has one of the highest wattage (18W= 12V X 1.5A) available for lights that is plug n play.
It removes the need for additional lights, extra step-down converter.

Not bad for a full spec Gates drive, mid-drive with internal gearing, and 28mph speed assistance. ;)

Priority Bicycles has just launched their latest electric bicycle, the Priority Current. The Current packs in a number of high-quality and low-maintenance parts for a killer price. The Priority Current is powered by a nominally 500W mid-drive motor. However, the company lists the motor at an insane 148 Nm (108 lb-ft) of torque, which makes me think that 500W number could be coyly low. It is anyone’s guess what the real power is, but suffice it to say that 148 Nm of torque means this bike should have some serious pull, offering fast acceleration and flattening even the toughest of hills.

The pedal-assist bike comes with a top speed of 20 mph (32 km/h), but offers users the option to unlock it to reach speeds of 28 mph (45 km/h). That would turn it from a Class 1 e-bike into a Class 3 e-bike in the US. And in a move that belt-drive fans will rejoice over, Priority equipped the Current with a Gates belt drive system. The use of belt drive means there’s no greasy chain, no transmission noise, and virtually no maintenance. Instead of an old-fashioned derailleur, the Priority Current uses an Enviolo internally geared hub with a massive 380% gear range.

And with a 500 Wh frame-integrated battery, the Priority Current gets a range rating of 30-60 miles (50-100 km) depending on the pedal assist level and riding style. Other components on the bike include Tektro dual-piston hydraulic disc brakes, included composite fenders, automatic front and rear LED lights, adjustable height stem, USB charger, and a digital display.
But I was pleasantly surprised — perhaps even amazed — to see that the Priority Current has an MSRP of $2,999 and is actually on sale now with a promotional price of just $2,699!

priority current
View attachment 67233
Amp hrs? Like the idea of a mid with internal geared hub. Can it really have all that Nm?

Back