Priority Bicycles just launched the most affordable Gates belt mid-drive e-bike

Not bad for a full spec Gates drive, mid-drive with internal gearing, and 28mph speed assistance. ;)

Priority Bicycles has just launched their latest electric bicycle, the Priority Current. The Current packs in a number of high-quality and low-maintenance parts for a killer price. The Priority Current is powered by a nominally 500W mid-drive motor. However, the company lists the motor at an insane 148 Nm (108 lb-ft) of torque, which makes me think that 500W number could be coyly low. It is anyone’s guess what the real power is, but suffice it to say that 148 Nm of torque means this bike should have some serious pull, offering fast acceleration and flattening even the toughest of hills.

The pedal-assist bike comes with a top speed of 20 mph (32 km/h), but offers users the option to unlock it to reach speeds of 28 mph (45 km/h). That would turn it from a Class 1 e-bike into a Class 3 e-bike in the US. And in a move that belt-drive fans will rejoice over, Priority equipped the Current with a Gates belt drive system. The use of belt drive means there’s no greasy chain, no transmission noise, and virtually no maintenance. Instead of an old-fashioned derailleur, the Priority Current uses an Enviolo internally geared hub with a massive 380% gear range.

And with a 500 Wh frame-integrated battery, the Priority Current gets a range rating of 30-60 miles (50-100 km) depending on the pedal assist level and riding style. Other components on the bike include Tektro dual-piston hydraulic disc brakes, included composite fenders, automatic front and rear LED lights, adjustable height stem, USB charger, and a digital display.
But I was pleasantly surprised — perhaps even amazed — to see that the Priority Current has an MSRP of $2,999 and is actually on sale now with a promotional price of just $2,699!

priority current
View attachment 67233
Now up,to $3300. Not such a great value

Well, I have now had a problem and am not happy with Priority's warranty service. I had a shifter cable break. I have had four other bikes with NuVinci gubs and can assure you that this is not a normal issue.

I wrote to Priority and included pictures. The response was to send me some links to YouTube videos on how to replace a shift cable. What I expected from them, at a minimum, was a replacement cable.

I still like the bike, it is still my commuter, but the warranty service was a bit thin.

Well, I have now had a problem and am not happy with Priority's warranty service. I had a shifter cable break. I have had four other bikes with NuVinci gubs and can assure you that this is not a normal issue.

I wrote to Priority and included pictures. The response was to send me some links to YouTube videos on how to replace a shift cable. What I expected from them, at a minimum, was a replacement cable.

I still like the bike, it is still my commuter, but the warranty service was a bit thin.
Ask them for it.

Back