Priority Current: Class 3 Urban Mid-Drive Belt E-Bike, 500W, Integrated Removable 500WH Battery, 140 NM, $3300 S/M/L

Watts, looking at the site, the Shimano is a 300 dollar option; the Enviolo is standard. Best to verify this with an email to Priority.
@Asher pointed out that the Enviolo was only available on a few color/size combinations due to the others being sold out. Oh well, I can wait. I’ll be keeping an eye on this company. Would be amazing if they made an E version of their Apollo Gravel bike.

The only obsolete battery in 2020 is the 400wh battery. 500 still seems to be the standard. Maybe you will find one on a hub drive bike, but rarely under 3700 with a mid drive motor. I actually took the seat off assuming I would favor my old Kalkhoff seat but I’m about to put it back on. The kickstand is not at all an issue. The seat post is not an issue. The brakes perform better than the brakes on the specialized Vado we have. The belt drive is great, the 380 degree hub is probably overkill. The grips are just as good as the specialized Vado or the kalkhoff grips that cost much more. There are some things I’d change about the bike, for sure, but not what you call out. I’d love a 600 wh battery, but I didn’t want to pay the price. I’m curious if you have ever seen or touched the bike.
Hi there -- I'm deciding between getting the Specialized Vado 3.0 and the Priority Current. Since it seems like you have both, could you comment on which you like better?
My use case would typically be for daily commuting to work (3 miles each way), and also errands around town (Boston).

Hi there -- I'm deciding between getting the Specialized Vado 3.0 and the Priority Current. Since it seems like you have both, could you comment on which you like better?
My use case would typically be for daily commuting to work (3 miles each way), and also errands around town (Boston).
Welcome to EBR! ;)

Both are nice bikes, but I would probably go with the Priority Current as a commuter due to the low maintenance belt drive and IGH.

My partner has a 2018 Vado 3.0, which is more like a current Vado 4.0. Has deore, the 1.2 motor and a 460 wh battery. The 2020 Vado 3.0 has a 1.2 “e” motor. I actually like the Brose motor better than the priority current motor. It gives more assist at low cadences and I believe climbs hills better. I like the enviolo hub of the current although I think it almost has too much range. A priority current with a 600 wh battery would be perfect as I’m not seeing the battery range I wanted because I have to ride in assist level 3 a lot. A specialized Vado 4.0 for a few hundred less $ would be perfect. I would worry about the Vado 3.0 motor as it has less power than the 4.0. I wouldn’t worry about the Shimano hub on the current because I think the enviolo hub is overkill since I don’t like to spin my legs as fast as it allows, but paying $300 more for the Shimano hub would chap me. I do like the geometry of the Priority, actually better than the specialized although I like the look of the Vado more. I’m 5’4” with a 30 inch inseam and I bought the medium and it fits great. I don’t miss the front suspension fork on the specialized. I love the quiet feel of the enviolo hub and the ability to shift at a standstill. I also believe it will require less maintenance over time. I can tell you I did a test drive on several bikes. I was hung up on getting a class 3. I’m over that now and the two other bikes I would consider would be the gazelle t10 and any bike with a Yamaha motor. The Yamaha motor set in the “auto” mode is a game changer, in my mind. You just get on the bike and ride, and the motor automatically adjusts the assist based on torque on the pedals and speed. It makes riding so much more pleasant than worrying about what level of assist is best for range, etc. I have also heard from several LBS owners that the Yamaha motor is the most reliable. I’d try to ride and consider the Yamaha Cross Connect. This answer probably created more confusion and questions than you had before. You can do what I did and order the current and see if you like it. You have 30 days to return it. The Electrek video review has a coupon to get you the discounted price.

My partner has a 2018 Vado 3.0, which is more like a current Vado 4.0. Has deore, the 1.2 motor and a 460 wh battery. The 2020 Vado 3.0 has a 1.2 “e” motor. I actually like the Brose motor better than the priority current motor. It gives more assist at low cadences and I believe climbs hills better. I like the enviolo hub of the current although I think it almost has too much range. A priority current with a 600 wh battery would be perfect as I’m not seeing the battery range I wanted because I have to ride in assist level 3 a lot. A specialized Vado 4.0 for a few hundred less $ would be perfect. I would worry about the Vado 3.0 motor as it has less power than the 4.0. I wouldn’t worry about the Shimano hub on the current because I think the enviolo hub is overkill since I don’t like to spin my legs as fast as it allows, but paying $300 more for the Shimano hub would chap me. I do like the geometry of the Priority, actually better than the specialized although I like the look of the Vado more. I’m 5’4” with a 30 inch inseam and I bought the medium and it fits great. I don’t miss the front suspension fork on the specialized. I love the quiet feel of the enviolo hub and the ability to shift at a standstill. I also believe it will require less maintenance over time. I can tell you I did a test drive on several bikes. I was hung up on getting a class 3. I’m over that now and the two other bikes I would consider would be the gazelle t10 and any bike with a Yamaha motor. The Yamaha motor set in the “auto” mode is a game changer, in my mind. You just get on the bike and ride, and the motor automatically adjusts the assist based on torque on the pedals and speed. It makes riding so much more pleasant than worrying about what level of assist is best for range, etc. I have also heard from several LBS owners that the Yamaha motor is the most reliable. I’d try to ride and consider the Yamaha Cross Connect. This answer probably created more confusion and questions than you had before. You can do what I did and order the current and see if you like it. You have 30 days to return it. The Electrek video review has a coupon to get you the discounted price.
Wonderful, thank you! That was super helpful.

I reached out to Priority and they actually said they're only pushing forward with the Shimano and getting rid of the Enviolo (which I'm unsure if that's a positive or negative?) So the main draw to the Current over the Vado for me is the maintenance aspect of it. But I'm worried since it's such a new bike we don't have much data on if the low-maintenance goal actually holds up. Nor do we have data on the durability.

I'm really set on a class 3 sub-$3000, and it looks like the Yamaha bikes are all class 1 and the Gazelle is a little out of my price range.

Wonderful, thank you! That was super helpful.

I reached out to Priority and they actually said they're only pushing forward with the Shimano and getting rid of the Enviolo (which I'm unsure if that's a positive or negative?) So the main draw to the Current over the Vado for me is the maintenance aspect of it. But I'm worried since it's such a new bike we don't have much data on if the low-maintenance goal actually holds up. Nor do we have data on the durability.

I'm really set on a class 3 sub-$3000, and it looks like the Yamaha bikes are all class 1 and the Gazelle is a little out of my price range.
Did they say why they ditched Enviolo?

This is their message to me:
"So we had two versions, the enviolo and the shimano. After testing both, we decided to push forward with the shimano. The advantage of the Shimano is that it’s more efficient and thus makes the bike even more powerful. It’s also supported by a large Shimano dealer network should the hub ever need service. "

I also asked if they projected any more changes to the Current, and they said no:
"No changes forecasted! We are "rollin" with this spec of bike for a while!"

This is their message to me:
"So we had two versions, the enviolo and the shimano. After testing both, we decided to push forward with the shimano. The advantage of the Shimano is that it’s more efficient and thus makes the bike even more powerful. It’s also supported by a large Shimano dealer network should the hub ever need service. "

I also asked if they projected any more changes to the Current, and they said no:
"No changes forecasted! We are "rollin" with this spec of bike for a while!"
I contacted them about the Shimano. Turns out that some of the concerns I have with the bike might be resolved with the Shimano hub. I'd give it a try. I do like the belt drive.

I went ahead and ordered it! Back-ordered until Dec 15th so I have a month more to think about my decision :p
Congratulations on your new Ebike! ;)

A lot of people fall into the trap of analysis-paralysis and miss out on the joy of riding!

Which Shimano hub are they using?
I contacted them about the Shimano. Turns out that some of the concerns I have with the bike might be resolved with the Shimano hub. I'd give it a try. I do like the belt drive.
Can you elaborate on which of your concerns might be resolved with the Shimano? I'm considering this bike for someone who is 5'4" and 29" inseam.

Which Shimano hub are they using?

Can you elaborate on which of your concerns might be resolved with the Shimano? I'm considering this bike for someone who is 5'4" and 29" inseam.
The enviolo has almost too much range and I can’t spin my legs fast enough to take advantage of it. I can’t feel the assist at higher cadences. At 5’4 and a 29 inch inseam, I’d go with the medium. I’m exactly that and I like the fit. I think the Shimano with the reduced range will match the motor and assist levels better.

In the post below, someone reports a negative experience with a Shimano 5-speed IGH (presumably the same one) on a BMC e-bike, mostly because the gearing is too high for the bike. However, the BMC is 25kph-limited rather than the 45kph of the Priority Current, and it also has larger tires (700c vs 650c). Combining those two factors suggests that the Priority can use top gearing 1.94x higher than the BMC and hence will make good use of all five gears. I'm assuming here that the Priority uses the same 39t x 28t chainrings as the BMC, but this information is not provided in Priority's specs. Interesting choice by BMC.

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ear-hub-by-shimano-for-2019.26708/post-307675

I ordered a Priority Current with Shimano hub. I'm excited about the bike... but a little nervous with a new bike with little to no consumer field testing. I previously owned a Vanmoof S3 which was a lot of fun to ride, but found it to be too "glitchy" for my liking. Also looking forward to the Gates Carbon Drive system!

I have a Current with the original Enviolo hub. While it is now academic for new buyers, I had no problem with the CV hub. I think the range of ratios for the Enviolo is 300% (it's suppose to be 380%, I think my hub is not adjusted correctly) while the Shimano is 200 260% (and has a higher overall range). As a result the Shimano would be faster while the Enviolo would have more power up hills. Overall impression, a very nice bike and the battery range has not been an issue (based on very little riding so far).

Last edited:
I ordered a Priority Current with Shimano hub. I'm excited about the bike... but a little nervous with a new bike with little to no consumer field testing. I previously owned a Vanmoof S3 which was a lot of fun to ride, but found it to be too "glitchy" for my liking. Also looking forward to the Gates Carbon Drive system!
Looks like we will know soon - it's shipping this week!

With the Gates Carbon Drive combo tied in with the Enviolo rear hub, I thought the price of 2900 was great. But since then, Priority has canceled the Enviolo option, leaving you with just the 5 speed Shimano.

Not Shimano 8 speed IGH. Nor the 11 speed Alfine. An Inter-5.

I don't understand having a nicely specced commuter bike with the Enviolo rear hub and scrapping it all for a 5 speed IGH. Kinda like taking a Ferrari F40, pulling the twin turbo V8 and putting in it's place a VW 1.9 TDI diesel.

For 200 more dollars, you can get something like a Haibike Trekking, with 500wh internal battery and the world class Yamaha ebike drive system. And a properly spaced rear cassette that is going to get you up a hill alot easier then that 5 speed IGH on the Priority. Beginning to wonder if the supply of Enviolo's was not there, or the price point set by Priority could not be met with that Enviolo in the rear.....

With the Gates Carbon Drive combo tied in with the Enviolo rear hub, I thought the price of 2900 was great. But since then, Priority has canceled the Enviolo option, leaving you with just the 5 speed Shimano.

I don't understand having a nicely specced commuter bike with the Enviolo rear hub and scrapping it all for a 5 speed IGH. Kinda like taking a Ferrari F40, pulling the twin turbo V8 and putting in it's place a VW 1.9 TDI diesel.

For 200 more dollars, you can get something like a Haibike Trekking, with 500wh internal battery and the world class Yamaha ebike drive system. And a properly spaced rear cassette that is going to get you up a hill alot easier then that 5 speed IGH on the Priority. Beginning to wonder if the supply of Enviolo's was not there, or the price point set by Priority could not be met with that Enviolo in the rear.....

Possibly both - maybe a supplier w/ parts shortage hiked up the price...

I would agree that the 5 speed does seem limited. The Haibike you suggest as an alternative looks good except for the class 1 problem. If only they had made it a class 3 bike.

Back