Please Suggest Most Comfortable Saddle

I'm getting the Selle Royal Drifter.
I have a seat like the Drifter on my bike now but it's 25 or so years old and it's springs are starting to creak and make other noises.
I have it combined with a thudbuster ST and its a comfy ride, so I'm looking forward on getting the Drifter seat.

DRIFTER.jpg

padded shorts lots o time in the saddle careful adjustment are them out important things.
All critical elements to achieving the least discomfort if not actual comfort. Add to this list a Sell Anatomica (based on my weight an H2 is just right).each side moves independently with your pedaling. By far the most comfortable of all the many I have tried. I have to have an Ebay sale sometime soon to rid my shop of the clutter of saddles I will never use and someone else might love. Each of the three series is rated by rider weight and available in either steel or cast aluminum. No break in required.

comp.jpg

All critical elements to achieving the least discomfort if not actual comfort. Add to this list a Sell Anatomica (based on my weight an H2 is just right).each side moves independently with your pedaling. By far the most comfortable of all the many I have tried. I have to have an Ebay sale sometime soon to rid my shop of the clutter of saddles I will never use and someone else might love. Each of the three series is rated by rider weight and available in either steel or cast aluminum. No break in required.

View attachment 82914
OK Alaskan. You've convinced me. Just ordered one. Your mentioning that each side moves independently with pedaling was what sealed the deal. 👍 👍👍

Ahhh.. I envy you guys (& gals) who are able to ride with these well designed horned saddles. 35 years ago, I began to get crotch numbness when using this type of nosed or horned saddle. It also caused my PSA to spike and my doctor advised me to give up riding. I tried a nose down seat angle and seats with a crotch cutout but nothing helped. Thankfully, nose-less saddles became available around that time and I've been using them ever since.

Nose-less saddles aren't as comfortable and you give up some "hip control" of the bike. It's like perching on top of a bar stool rather than straddling a split rail fence. It sure beats the alternative of not riding at all though.

Ahhh.. I envy you guys (& gals) who are able to ride with these well designed horned saddles. 35 years ago, I began to get crotch numbness when using this type of nosed or horned saddle. It also caused my PSA to spike and my doctor advised me to give up riding. I tried a nose down seat angle and seats with a crotch cutout but nothing helped. Thankfully, nose-less saddles became available around that time and I've been using them ever since.

Nose-less saddles aren't as comfortable and you give up some "hip control" of the bike. It's like perching on top of a bar stool rather than straddling a split rail fence. It sure beats the alternative of not riding at all though.
I stopped riding for years because of crotch numbness. Was afraid I was damaging tissue. My return to biking years later has been enabled by getting away from Brooks classic design and going with open designs like my Serfas E-Gel seat. It’s the best seat I’ve ever owned by far.

Attachments

• 0C08DAEA-D7F2-4136-8E26-A999040E942D.jpeg
    0C08DAEA-D7F2-4136-8E26-A999040E942D.jpeg
    737.1 KB · Views: 185
I stopped riding for years because of crotch numbness. Was afraid I was damaging tissue. My return to biking years later has been enabled by getting away from Brooks classic design and going with open designs like my Serfas E-Gel seat. It’s the best seat I’ve ever owned by far.
My brother uses this same seat and it does indeed help with his numbness. Unfortunately, it doesn't help in my case.

My brother uses this same seat and it does indeed help with his numbness. Unfortunately, it doesn't help in my case.
This just makes it crystal clear how seats are very personal. What fits and helps one may not work for someone else. Always glad to hear when people find something that works for them. So many styles out there now for folks to choose from!👍

OK Alaskan. You've convinced me. Just ordered one. Your mentioning that each side moves independently with pedaling was what sealed the deal. 👍 👍👍
I hope you find it as comfortable as most others have. It feels good to buy a product made in the USA, doesn't it.

A few tips:

1. I find that, for me, the saddle likes to be just a few degrees back with the nose just a bit higher. You don't want to be slipping forward on to the skinny part and find yourself pushing you fanny back and up to be comfortable. Very small adjustments of the saddle angle will make big differences. Lower the nose in tiny increment just until it takes the pressure off your delicate parts. Time spent fine tuning saddle angle will yield optimal comfort.

2. Keep the leather properly tensioned. Use a 6mm wrench turned counter clockwise (facing back) to keep the opening between the two side at 6mm at the narrowest part. Use the wrench as gauge such that is slips through using the flat surfaces of the wrench making light contact between both sides. First few rides it will need to be done each time, then every week or so it will stabilize to the point where it will need to be done far less frequently. The black leather stretches a bit less than the other colors and has a harder surface and won't show wears or scratches. Do not use any kind of leather oil or grease on the top. It will allow the leather to stretch more. Just keep it covered in the rain.

3. If you did not get a rain cover with waterproofing saddle sauce kit to keep the underside of the saddle waterproofed, it is a good investment in keep the leather in good shape. I highly recommend it. The saddle sauce needs to be applied quite infrequently and is used on the bottom of the saddle and the edges of the leather NOT ON THE TOP. The neoprene cover looks good and follows the contours of the saddle nicely. Just fold it up and tuck it into a saddle bag or whatever kind of bag you use to carry tools, tubes, etc. https://selleanatomica.com/products/waterproof-package

4. Did you get the model with the alloy frame or the steel frame? The alloy frame has Chicago screws on the underside going into what looks like stainless rivets on the surface of the leather which allows for a replacement leather, easily done at home with an allen wrench. The steel frame is rivetted.

5. Adjust the fore and aft position of the saddle: Make sure that when your foot is on the normal ride position on the pedal and the left pedal is at the nine o'clock position (forward and parallel to the ground) that your saddle is positioned fore and aft, your left knee joint is directly square over the axle on the pedal, straight down perpendicular to the ground line from knee to axle. A friend and a makeshift plumb line (piece of string with a 10 or 12 mm box wrench hung from it) will help you fine tune this.

Last edited:
Add me to the Serfas camp. I have two monster seats and love them both. As for; can a bike seat be comfortable? Yes, I can attest this seat for me (300lb 6' guy) is absolutely comfortable for 100km+ rides all day long. By the end of the day, it's only as uncomfortable as your typical office chair after an 8 hour shift (or you sofa for that matter) - meaning you just need to move, period. Humans aren't built to sit full time, so any seat is going to be antsy after waay too many hours. Especially if you are looking for light weight road bike or MTB seats. I have brooks saddles that I love for aggressive MTB or road riding, and springers similar to the Cloud 9, and they all have their place, but for big cushy bar-stool comfort:

KNRfctz.jpg

And my second choice - noticeably smaller, so better for slightly aggressive and/or moderate exercise riding. Perfect with a suspension seat post:

teoH9Kx.jpg

Thank you again especially to all who posted after I revived this thread. Can't wait to go riding again & try my 3rd one out! I've started to bookmark what looks good so when I have to buy a seat next time around, I have a good list. I had to get a better quality helmet too, so I ordered one...a Smith MIPS brand.

QUESTION: How often do they recommend you replace your saddle? I know it depends on how often you ride, but in general, is it every 3-5 yrs OR just when it starts cracking, peeling, or any other 1st signs of wear?

I wouldn’t change once you find a great seat until the outer condition or your butt tells you.

True, it's tough enough to find a seat one likes, so when I finally do, I'll keep buying the same type probably...until they no longer make it. I sure hope this Cloud 9 one is THE ONE.

OMG, i tried so many seats lol, i had some issue with all of them until i tried some cheapo Noseless seats, i think these were the cheapest of all the saddles i have tried and i had no expectations, once i got these adjusted just right the search was over! i dont even think about bike seats anymore, when i purchased my most recent bike i was sure to purchase a Noseless that same day! the only drawbacks are you may feel a slight increase in arm pressure for a few days depending how you adjust them and you cant really squeeze the seat nose between your legs for balance because there is no nose lol, no more sore butt,no more numbness in the nether regions!
1616914854611.jpeg

1616914893949.jpeg

OK I received my Selle Anatomica. Like others I noticed immediately the rivets are not well set. My immediate impression with the first trial is that it might as well be made of hard plastic. Yeah it does flex side to side as you pedal but it is HARD. There's no way I am going to take the time to 'break it in'. This would take bruises in the area of my sit bones. I just put on a gel cover to give it another go. Also they never contacted me to let me know they were out of stock of the copper riveted one I ordered but admitted it when I contacted them wondering when they were going to get around to shipping it. They sent me the metal colored rivet one.

View attachment 82914
Would that my rivets looked like this. 🤔

You should toss that padded cover. This saddle needs no breaking in. You need a proper pair of padded shorts and then the magic will happen. Your solution takes a very nice saddle and makes it the equivalent of a $35 barkalounger padded one. If you are not willing to use it the way it was intended, it is a total waste of your money. If you insist on having gel padding on the saddle, then just tell them you want to send it back as they did not send you what you ordered.

You should toss that padded cover. This saddle needs no breaking in. You need a proper pair of padded shorts and then the magic will happen. Your solution takes a very nice saddle and makes it the equivalent of a $35 barkalounger padded one. If you are not willing to use it the way it was intended, it is a total waste of your money. If you insist on having gel padding on the saddle, then just tell them you want to send it back as they did not send you what you ordered.
Appreciate your comments but .... I've ridden chamois padded shorts most of my life and they would not deal with the hardness of this saddle. The Gell cover is not a thick gel. Evidently your sit bones and my sit bones are very different. Granted the more padded seat I've tried is not workable either. Just too rounded and bulbous and my sit bones sort of swim around on it. The architecture of the Selle Anotomica is good. I'm not giving up on it. Yet. Hard surface and my butt just don't get along however.

The Selle Anatomica is designed to be used with padded bottoms. If you can't or won't wear them, it is clearly the wrong saddle for you. You are probably better off returning it, getting your money back and continuing your search for a saddle that works better for you without padded trousers or shorts.

Back