Pet trailer attachment on XP 2.0 step-thru?

Harry Joe

Region
USA
Anyone attached a pet trailer to XP 2.0 step-thru? Attachment directions says that a through-axel bolt design won’t work & I think that’s what my bike has.
thanks,
Harry

Anyone attached a pet trailer to XP 2.0 step-thru? Attachment directions says that a through-axel bolt design won’t work & I think that’s what my bike has.
thanks,
Harry
I have a 1.0 XP and it does NOT use a bolt through-axel design. I've never seen a 2.0 step-thru in person but I highly doubt that there would be a "bolt through-axel" on a hub motor.
That being said, see here.

Hmmmm. I guess I’m confused about how to tell If it’s through-axle bolt design. Maybe I’ll take some picts of the hub & take them to a bike store for confirmation.
thanks,
Harry

Thru axles use allen head fasteners, while your XP 2.0 motor surely has a flanged hex nut like this one.
RA260082.JPG

Now your problem may be that many trailer hitches are designed for a round bicycle axle, which are up to 10 mm in diameter, too small for ebike motor axles, which are 10x12mm. If you're able to file or drill the hole in your hitch, you'll be OK.

Get creative with some Velcro and metal strapping can both be purchased at McMaster Carr .com

thanks,
Harry
A through axle drop out has holes, the XP has slots and uses a bolt on axle style that is compatible with standard bicycle trailers. The standard hitch that comes with standard trailers has a 10mm hole in it that you will be able to remove the left axle nut on the bike then slide the hitch on, then put the axle nut back on securing everything. The hitch stays on and the trailer can be easily removed off and on the hitch.

Just as we were contemplating (as you can see in my previous posts) a dog trailer that wound fit, LECTRIC made one available. It’s terrific. We recommend it highly.

I think it's great that Lectric has added a "pet trailer" to their list of accessories--the more the merrier. And the 3.0 is getting lots of positive press

At the same time, though, folks might want to look at all the other trailer options, including the one that I took last winter. The "pet trailer" I purchased is ALSO a perfectly-fine two-child stroller. It can have multiple uses! And the price has dropped to $135.

My wife bought that exact trailer for her Rad bike. The first time I put our 40 lb. Rhodesian Ridgeback pup (who is now 60 lbs., and going on 90), she tipped it over while traveling in a straight line on a smooth surface. If you have a trick to prevent that from happening, I’d love to hear it.

No issues with our 95 lbs.+ German Shepherd

Then again, she tends to lay down when on the move rather than sticking her head out the top

No issues with our 95 lbs.+ German Shepherd

Then again, she tends to lay down when on the move rather than sticking her head out the top

Our Ridgeback is only 6 months old, so maybe she’ll settle down. But I’m not sure I’ll ever want to take that chance. I’d hate to see my wife crash because the trailer tipped. I ride a Creo, so there’ll be no towing with my bike.

Back