Pennsylvania Rides | Meetups | Pennsylvania Riders

I'll be up at the Pine Creek Gorge mid-next week. I'll only have a single full day there. Realistically, I can ride about 60 miles total in a day - 30 miles up and 30 miles back.

What would you say is the best ~30 miles stretch of the Gorge that I should focus on?

Also, would I be missing out on a lot of good parts if I only ride that single stretch?

Thank you?

The upper half of the Pine Creek trail, where the gorge is at it's deepest point, is by far the most scenic . It is also more rural with fewer road crossings. IMO, the best single day ride is from the Darling Run trailhead down to Slate Run and back for a total of 53 miles. That is just about half the total trail length but includes roughly 70% of the scenery.

If you have a GPS, the coordinates for Darling Run are: N41 44.207 W77 25.718. and Slate Run: N41 28.259 W77 30.109. You can start at either point depending on where you are coming from.

I would say the northern end is the best of the 65 mile trail.

If you're interested in a one day ride where there's a lot to see, we rode a section of the GAP last week that was one of the most interesting one day rides I've been on.

Frostburg MD to Garrett PA. Round trip is only about 44 miles, but it's the steepest section of the GAP/C&O trail, a couple thousand feet of elevation gain.

View attachment 67257

Two train tunnels you ride through. One about 1000' feet and another 3400' feet long. The longer tunnel is illuminated.

View attachment 67258 View attachment 67259

Underpass at the Eastern Continental Divide.

View attachment 67260 View attachment 67264

Two viaducts, one 2000' and another 950'

View attachment 67265 View attachment 67266

View attachment 67267

A couple of historic train stations and plenty of mountain views. If you like modern windmills, there are dozens erected on mountain peaks. You're so close you can hear them.

View attachment 67268

Even the drive there is interesting.

View attachment 67269 View attachment 67270

Weather was perfect at 70°, sky was so blue and clear. Beautiful ride.

Thanks for this. I would like to make a GAP trip in the next couple weeks. When would you say is the peak foliage?

How many days would you allot to see the best parts of the trail, and whats your suggested itinerary? Realistically I will only get 3 or so days off work.

Last edited:
The upper half of the Pine Creek trail, where the gorge is at it's deepest point, is by far the most scenic . It is also more rural with fewer road crossings. IMO, the best single day ride is from the Darling Run trailhead down to Slate Run and back for a total of 53 miles. That is just about half the total trail length but includes roughly 70% of the scenery.

If you have a GPS, the coordinates for Darling Run are: N41 44.207 W77 25.718. and Slate Run: N41 28.259 W77 30.109. You can start at either point depending on where you are coming from.

Thank you, I will combine this trail with the watkins glen trail and the ithica trail and you mentioned in an earlier post. Thanks a lot.

Does that quality inn in Mansfield let you bring the bike inside the room with you?

Thank you, I will combine this trail with the watkins glen trail and the ithica trail and you mentioned in an earlier post. Thanks a lot.

Does that quality inn in Mansfield let you bring the bike inside the room with you?

I've done it several times and no one said anything. I've never actually asked permission though. If you plan on doing it, ask for a room on the first floor. There is an elevator but it's difficult to use with a bike.

Thanks for this. I would like to make a GAP trip in the next couple weeks. When would you say is the peak foliage?

How many days would you allot to see the best parts of the trail, and whats your suggested itinerary? Realistically I will only get 3 or so days off work.
The past week the fall foliage has really come on fast. I usually gauge it by my sugar maples and 10 days ago there were only a few leaves with color. Today there are the brightest blood red leaves all over the trees. Sugar maples will peak in the next 10 to 14 days. Maybe sooner. Sugar maples are the first to change and the prettiest around here.

Western PA looked very dry last week. We probably rode over a dozen bridges and water was low and stagnant. I don't know how this will affect the tree color. If I were to guess I'd say peak color will happen in the next 14 to 18 days. It got cold early this year.

As for the GAP/C&O, it's all really good. From Garrett PA to Harpers Ferry there's a lot to see and experience. Plenty of places to camp on the trail if you like. There are even cycling hostels in many of the small towns along the way. $25 a night for a nice bunk and communal bathroom. And of course plenty of hotels as well, that are used to catering to cyclists. That's if you didn't want to do round trips everyday. Given the pandemic closures I would plan ahead. I've also done these with a friend and we'll put a vehicle at the final destination and drive to a trail head 50 miles away and start riding. A lot of driving with that though.

I really enjoyed that ride from Frostburg to Garrett. By far the most to see in any 40ish mile round trip I've been on in a long time. A second day ride could be from Frostburg southeast. The Paw Paw tunnel is about 38 miles +/- from Frostburg, so that might not be doable round trip. If you drove from Frostburg to Cumberland on the second day and started on the trail there the Paw Paw tunnel is only about 26 miles down the trail. The round trip might be doable for you. That part of the C&O is full of history, bridges, locks and the tunnel. Just beautiful.

Edit: Maps https://gaptrail.org/explore/printable-maps

Last edited:

Looks like I'll have a bit of extra time in the Pine Creek Gorge next week. I was initially going to stay a night at Watkins Glen, and a second night at Wellsboro, but my wife wants me to stay in the same hotel for both nights as she thinks it is safer with regards to Covid. So I will be staying in Wellsboro for 3 days/2 nights, and was hoping for some feedback from you guys to make it the most productive trip. I am not at all familiar with the area.

You mentioned the northern stretch makes up 70% of the best scenery - I was going to do that Darling Run down to Slate Run on my "full" day in the area. I will also have two additional half-days to spend.

So, where on the gorge is the rest of the best scenery? Alternatively, are there any other trails in the area that I should check out instead of the southern stretch of the gorge? Just want to maximize my time and fun.

Thanks guys, these real world itineraries are priceless.

If you're interested in a one day ride where there's a lot to see, we rode a section of the GAP last week that was one of the most interesting one day rides I've been on.

Frostburg MD to Garrett PA. Round trip is only about 44 miles, but it's the steepest section of the GAP/C&O trail, a couple thousand feet of elevation gain.

View attachment 67257

Two train tunnels you ride through. One about 1000' feet and another 3400' feet long. The longer tunnel is illuminated.

View attachment 67267

A couple of historic train stations and plenty of mountain views. If you like modern windmills, there are dozens erected on mountain peaks. You're so close you can hear them.

View attachment 67268

Looks like I'll have a bit of extra time in the Pine Creek Gorge next week. I was initially going to stay a night at Watkins Glen, and a second night at Wellsboro, but my wife wants me to stay in the same hotel for both nights as she thinks it is safer with regards to Covid. So I will be staying in Wellsboro for 3 days/2 nights, and was hoping for some feedback from you guys to make it the most productive trip. I am not at all familiar with the area.

You mentioned the northern stretch makes up 70% of the best scenery - I was going to do that Darling Run down to Slate Run on my "full" day in the area. I will also have two additional half-days to spend.

So, where on the gorge is the rest of the best scenery? Alternatively, are there any other trails in the area that I should check out instead of the southern stretch of the gorge? Just want to maximize my time and fun.

Thanks guys, these real world itineraries are priceless.

Staying in Wellsboro is very convenient to the Darling Run trailhead and a good choice if you are doing a single day, down to Slate Run & back ride. I stayed at the Penn Wells Lodge a few years ago and it was nice but a bit pricey. https://aaanorthpenn.tstllc.net/hot...10/05/2020&checkOut=10/07/2020&referrer=avail

If staying in Wellsboro, a good choice for a half day ride would be to go back to Darling Run and ride the other direction north to the trail terminus at Wellsboro Jct. and back. That would make an 18 mile ride. You could extend that by riding down into the gorge and back, doing a piece of the trail you did the previous day, to add a few more miles.

A second, less scenic, half day ride would be from Slate run down to Waterville & back to make a 26 mile ride. The problem here is the drive time from Wellsboro to Slate Run. It can take 90 minutes or more due to detours on Route 287 around bridge construction. If your wife is like mine, these long "setup" drives can spoil the days bike ride. This is why I prefer to stay in Mansfield. From there, you can drive to Waterville in less than an hour, do the 26 mile ride from Waterville to Slate Run & back and be back at the hotel with less than 2 hours invested in drive time. From Wellsboro, the drives time could exceed 3 hours.

These bridges have been under construction for some time and it was still going on when I was there a month ago. I can't say for sure if they have been completed or not since then however.

I think your wife was smart suggesting that you stay in a single hotel. Although the Covid risk is small in Tioga County, it still exists. I almost always do this. In addition, I take my own groceries and get a room equipped with a microwave & fridge. I cook in the room and avoid crowds at eating places. I also request no housekeeping service to minimize the number of people entering my room. Paranoid maybe, but I'm in the high risk category. I still enjoy taking these bike trips but want to keep my exposure to a minimum.

The only other trails in the area I consider worth doing are the 4 mile Lambs Creek Trail: https://www.traillink.com/trail/lambs-creek-hike--bike-trail/ near Mansfield and the 5.5 mile Lycoming Creek Bikeway: https://www.traillink.com/trail/lycoming-creek-bikeway/ near Williamsport.

View attachment 67257

View attachment 67267

View attachment 67268

You've found what I consider to be the best single day ride in the state of PA.! I do it at least twice a year. In 2020, I rode it in May and again in August. I'm actually thinking of doing it again this month to take in the colors. I usually stay in Cumberland and do the WMRT as well. It's just 30 minutes east on I-70.

That stretch of the GAP you did from Frostburg to Garret incorporates most of the spectacular infrastructure on the entire 150 mile trail. BTW, you forgot to mention the historic Mason Dixon line park:

P1070420a.jpg P1070421a.jpg

I usually ride the 60 mile stretch of the GAP from Cumberland out to Confluence & back for a total of 120 miles in two days. That way you include the Brush Tunnel, south of Frostburg and the recently opened Pinkerton Tunnel near Markleton. The Pinkerton high and low bridges on either side of the tunnel are also spectacular. If you're an engineering fan like I am, you'll appreciate the gigantic rock cut made by the CSX Railroad when they "daylighted" the Pinkerton rail tunnel. They actually cut the top off Pinkerton Horn Mountain making the largest excavation I have ever seen in person.

Anywhere on the GAP is always a great ride!

@6zfshdb It sounds like you know all the trails around here, how long have you been riding these bike trails? A few years or a few decades? Anyway, if that's the best one day ride available (from you and @J.R.) , I'm putting it at the top of my list.
Thanks.

Staying in Wellsboro is very convenient to the Darling Run trailhead and a good choice if you are doing a single day, down to Slate Run & back ride. I stayed at the Penn Wells Lodge a few years ago and it was nice but a bit pricey. https://aaanorthpenn.tstllc.net/hotel/438904/details?location=Wellsboro, PA, USA&rooms[0].numOfAdults=2&utg=cr&stg=true&checkIn=10/05/2020&checkOut=10/07/2020&referrer=avail

If staying in Wellsboro, a good choice for a half day ride would be to go back to Darling Run and ride the other direction north to the trail terminus at Wellsboro Jct. and back. That would make an 18 mile ride. You could extend that by riding down into the gorge and back, doing a piece of the trail you did the previous day, to add a few more miles.

A second, less scenic, half day ride would be from Slate run down to Waterville & back to make a 26 mile ride. The problem here is the drive time from Wellsboro to Slate Run. It can take 90 minutes or more due to detours on Route 287 around bridge construction. If your wife is like mine, these long "setup" drives can spoil the days bike ride. This is why I prefer to stay in Mansfield. From there, you can drive to Waterville in less than an hour, do the 26 mile ride from Waterville to Slate Run & back and be back at the hotel with less than 2 hours invested in drive time. From Wellsboro, the drives time could exceed 3 hours.

These bridges have been under construction for some time and it was still going on when I was there a month ago. I can't say for sure if they have been completed or not since then however.

I think your wife was smart suggesting that you stay in a single hotel. Although the Covid risk is small in Tioga County, it still exists. I almost always do this. In addition, I take my own groceries and get a room equipped with a microwave & fridge. I cook in the room and avoid crowds at eating places. I also request no housekeeping service to minimize the number of people entering my room. Paranoid maybe, but I'm in the high risk category. I still enjoy taking these bike trips but want to keep my exposure to a minimum.

The only other trails in the area I consider worth doing are the 4 mile Lambs Creek Trail: https://www.traillink.com/trail/lambs-creek-hike--bike-trail/ near Mansfield and the 5.5 mile Lycoming Creek Bikeway: https://www.traillink.com/trail/lycoming-creek-bikeway/ near Williamsport.

Thanks for that. It would make sense to do the Waterville to Slate Run and back ride on my last day, as I will be returning home by heading south. I would just drive from Wellsboro to Waterville, and then start the ride, as it is already on the way.

Do you know if there is parking available in Waterville? I checked google satellite maps but didn't see anything standing out.

Thanks for that. It would make sense to do the Waterville to Slate Run and back ride on my last day, as I will be returning home by heading south. I would just drive from Wellsboro to Waterville, and then start the ride, as it is already on the way.

Do you know if there is parking available in Waterville? I checked google satellite maps but didn't see anything standing out.

Yes, if you're heading south, your plan is good.

The Waterville parking lot looks like this:

GH010039_a1.jpg GH010039_a2.jpg

You'll see it in Google Earth if you use these coordinates: N41 18.685 W77 22.598

Slate Run looks like this:

GH010055_a3.jpg

and is located at these coordinates: N41 28.259 W77 30.109

@6zfshdb It sounds like you know all the trails around here, how long have you been riding these bike trails? A few years or a few decades? Anyway, if that's the best one day ride available (from you and @J.R.) , I'm putting it at the top of my list.
Thanks.

My wife, brother and I have been trail riding for over 25 years. We've done literally hundreds from Maine south to the Carolina's and west to Indiana. PA has a rich railroading history and therefore many more rail trails than other surrounding states. If the climate were better here in the northeast, we would have done many more. Temps below 40 and above 90 take a lot from our riding enjoyment.

We're older now and switched to e-bikes 3 years ago. We've been retired for 20 years which gives us the time to ride. Unfortunately, my brother developed joint issues which keep him off even the e-bike. My wife lacks the stamina and enthusiasm she once had so I mostly ride alone now.

If you plan on doing the GAP, and / or the WMRT in the next 2 weeks, let me know and perhaps I can meet you somewhere. On average, most of the color is gone in the higher trail elevations by the third week in October. It's beginning to peak now in some locations.

Thanks everyone for sharing your photos and descriptions. I have roots in western PA and that whole region is just amazing this time of year.

Oh, and my grandfather was an engineer on B&O and Chessie System lines for 30 odd years.

Ride on!

Last edited:
You've found what I consider to be the best single day ride in the state of PA.! I do it at least twice a year. In 2020, I rode it in May and again in August. I'm actually thinking of doing it again this month to take in the colors. I usually stay in Cumberland and do the WMRT as well. It's just 30 minutes east on I-70.

That stretch of the GAP you did from Frostburg to Garret incorporates most of the spectacular infrastructure on the entire 150 mile trail. BTW, you forgot to mention the historic Mason Dixon line park:

View attachment 67329 View attachment 67330

I usually ride the 60 mile stretch of the GAP from Cumberland out to Confluence & back for a total of 120 miles in two days. That way you include the Brush Tunnel, south of Frostburg and the recently opened Pinkerton Tunnel near Markleton. The Pinkerton high and low bridges on either side of the tunnel are also spectacular. If you're an engineering fan like I am, you'll appreciate the gigantic rock cut made by the CSX Railroad when they "daylighted" the Pinkerton rail tunnel. They actually cut the top off Pinkerton Horn Mountain making the largest excavation I have ever seen in person.

Anywhere on the GAP is always a great ride!

I'm thinking I will do the GAP next week as the weather is looking a bit rainy up at pine creek gorge.

Could you @6zfshdb and @J.R. Please kindly help me make my itinerary?

I am not at all familiar with the area. I would leave monday or tuesday from the philadelphia area and would only have 2 or 3 nights to spend at a hotel, so I want to make the most of it.

I would prefer to stay at the same hotel for Covid concerns, and it needs to be a clean one that I can bring my eBike inside the room.

From what I have read so far, the best ride is from Garrett, PA, to Frostburg, MD, for a total round trip of 45 miles.

Good extensions would be from Cumberland, MD to Frostburg, MD (32 miles roundtrip), and also from Garett, PA, to Confluence, PA (45 miles roundtrip).

Does this cover the highlights of the GAP? I am mainly interested in scenery and mountain landscapes...less so the engineering marvels.
Elevation and mountains are what I like to look at.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I will do the GAP next week as the weather is looking a bit rainy up at pine creek gorge.

Could you @6zfshdb and @J.R. Please kindly help me make my itinerary?

I am not at all familiar with the area. I would leave monday or tuesday from the philadelphia area and would only have 2 or 3 nights to spend at a hotel, so I want to make the most of it.

I would prefer to stay at the same hotel for Covid concerns, and it needs to be a clean one that I can bring my eBike inside the room.

From what I have read so far, the best ride is from Garrett, PA, to Frostburg, MD, for a total round trip of 45 miles.

Good extensions would be from Cumberland, MD to Frostburg, MD (32 miles roundtrip), and also from Garett, PA, to Confluence, PA (45 miles roundtrip).

Does this cover the highlights of the GAP? I am mainly interested in scenery and mountain landscapes...less so the engineering marvels.
Elevation and mountains are what I like to look at.

Thanks a lot for your help.

The 61 miles of the GAP trail you've mentioned is just less than half the total trail length. It is the most mountainous and, with the exception of Cumberland, is the trail section with the highest elevation. Northwest of Confluence, the trail goes through Ohiopyle State Park with some good views from several high bridges. Other than that, IMO, the section you mentioned would be the best if you only have 3 days.

I cover this piece of the GAP in 2 full days and two half days as follows:

On day one, (half day) I check into one of the good hotels in Cumberland. My favorite is the Fairfield Inn & Suites which has it's own private entrance to the trail. I usually check in late afternoon and ride up the GAP trail to Frostburg & back for a total distance of 32 miles. There are some good views of the valley from several points on the trail.

On day two, I drive up to Frostburg from Cumberland and ride north up to Garrett & back for a total distance of 42 miles. There are beautiful views from big Savage Mountain as well as those posted by J.R. from the Salisbury Viaduct.

On day three, I drive up to Garrett and ride to Confluence & back for a total of 52 miles. There are some nice views from the Pinkerton High & low bridges on either side of the Pinkerton Tunnel.

On day four (half day), I check out of the hotel and ride a few miles east on the C&O Canal trail before heading home. There are a few good views of the Potomac River with the town of Cumberland in the background.

On some occasions, I stay another day and ride the Western Maryland Rail Trail, 30 minutes east of Cumberland.

There are many alternative ways of doing this piece of the GAP. What I outlined above is one that works for me. Maybe J.R. could offer a few more tips.

The 61 miles of the GAP trail you've mentioned is just less than half the total trail length. It is the most mountainous and, with the exception of Cumberland, is the trail section with the highest elevation. Northwest of Confluence, the trail goes through Ohiopyle State Park with some good views from several high bridges. Other than that, IMO, the section you mentioned would be the best if you only have 3 days.

On day one, (half day) I check into one of the good hotels in Cumberland. My favorite is the Fairfield Inn & Suites which has it's own private entrance to the trail. I usually check in late afternoon and ride up the GAP trail to Frostburg & back for a total distance of 32 miles. There are some good views of the valley from several points on the trail.

On day two, I drive up to Frostburg from Cumberland and ride north up to Garrett & back for a total distance of 42 miles. There are beautiful views from big Savage Mountain as well as those posted by J.R. from the Salisbury Viaduct.

On day three, I drive up to Garrett and ride to Confluence & back for a total of 52 miles. There are some nice views from the Pinkerton High & low bridges on either side of the Pinkerton Tunnel.

On day four (half day), I check out of the hotel and ride a few miles east on the C&O Canal trail before heading home. There are a few good views of the Potomac River with the town of Cumberland in the background.

On some occasions, I stay another day and ride the Western Maryland Rail Trail, 30 minutes east of Cumberland.

There are many alternative ways of doing this piece of the GAP. What I outlined above is one that works for me. Maybe J.R. could offer a few more tips.

Thanks a lot for that. Do you think the foliage will be better next week on that stretch of the GAP or the Pine Gorge?

The weather seems to have improved at the pine gorge next week, so I am debating which one to ride.

I'll ride the other trail sometime the following week.

Thanks a lot for that. Do you think the foliage will be better next week on that stretch of the GAP or the Pine Gorge?

The weather seems to have improved at the pine gorge next week, so I am debating which one to ride.

From what I've seen in the past, the colors seem to peak At Pine Creek about the same time they do in the higher elevations of the GAP trail. There are elevation changes at both locations and the color will vary. Peak is usually the second week of October.

The weather is changeable this time of year and sometimes difficult to predict more than a day or two in advance.

Good plan. You have more experience on the GAP than I, I've ridden the C&O since the 80's and hiked in the area since the 70's. The joke back then was Frostburg, being a college town, had more bars than traffic lights:cool:

An alternative plan could be to stay in Frostburg as a base, one day ride north on the GAP to Garrett and the next ride south to the C&O as far as you can. Maybe Paw Paw?

You will probably take the turnpike? At Breezewood take I-70 to I-68 to either Frostburg or Cumberland.

Tough to plan how many miles to do in a day on these trails. I like to stop and take in the historic sights. Usually time in the saddle is my limiting factor, as I have 3 battery packs that can outlast me on any ride. I've never hauled more than one spare on a ride and rarely need it. According to my Garmin on the last trip, the bike was moving for 3:22, elapsed time was 5:11. I've done 60 mile rides and the elapsed time is over 6 hours. It's the journey not the destination.

I hope you get good weather and enjoy the ride!

Thanks.
We are fortunate to have these locations within a day's drive. You won't regret it!

We are fortunate to have these locations within a day's drive. You won't regret it!

@ J.R., I see from one of your GAP pics you use Bontrager Interchange Trunk bags:

20200923_112606a.jpg

Do you ride a Trek with a compatible rear rack or do you use a Bontrager seatpost rack?

I've been using these Bontrager bags for years on my Trek MTB's. As you know, they're a snap to install & remove which makes them ideal for swapping between bikes. The foldout panniers are also a great feature for carrying light cargo like jackets or rain gear.

They wouldn't fit my e-bike so I had to make a rear rack adapter. The seatpost mount racks are ok but don't carry as much weight. I don't have enough post showing anyway so it wasn't an option.

Back