Pennsylvania Rides | Meetups | Pennsylvania Riders

I think a couple of us will be doing the Western Maryland Rail Trail again this fall. With the occasional detour for food and sights that's almost 60 miles r/t. Last year it was 58 miles. 95% paved. Hope to get to the C&O again too.

I ride down there every spring & fall. In April, I did the WMRT and sections of the C&O and GAP trails as well. I'm planning to go back in October.

If you ride the entire WMRT, including the new section to Little Orleans, you automatically get to do a 2 1/4 mile stretch of the C&O around Indigo Neck. The WMRT detours to the C&O to get around the closed Indigo Tunnel.

There is talk, but little action, about extending the WMRT from Little Orleans, MD to Paw Paw WV. West Virginia backed out of the deal with Maryland for funding the extension due to the proposed bypass of the Indigo and Stickpile tunnels. Several species of bats inhabit the tunnels and environmentalists have blocked proposals to open them for trail use.

On my last trip, I noticed that local merchants in Hancock MD, are raising money to repave sections of the WMRT due to tree root heaves. It's particularly bad at Round Top, just west of Hancock. Sure makes you appreciate your bike's suspension.

I ride down there every spring & fall. In April, I did the WMRT and sections of the C&O and GAP trails as well. I'm planning to go back in October.

If you ride the entire WMRT, including the new section to Little Orleans, you automatically get to do a 2 1/4 mile stretch of the C&O around Indigo Neck. The WMRT detours to the C&O to get around the closed Indigo Tunnel.

There is talk, but little action, about extending the WMRT from Little Orleans, MD to Paw Paw WV. West Virginia backed out of the deal with Maryland for funding the extension due to the proposed bypass of the Indigo and Stickpile tunnels. Several species of bats inhabit the tunnels and environmentalists have blocked proposals to open them for trail use.

On my last trip, I noticed that local merchants in Hancock MD, are raising money to repave sections of the WMRT due to tree root heaves. It's particularly bad at Round Top, just west of Hancock. Sure makes you appreciate your bike's suspension.
Last September is the last time I rode the WMRT. The Indigo Tunnel detour to the C&O from my Garmin.

20190919_080150.jpg

It would cost a lot of money to open that tunnel, the interior is still shored by wood timbers. The ramps to the detours looks to have cost a lot to me. Long concrete switchback ramps. Considering this, I think any consideration of opening the tunnel is off the table for my lifetime. I've never been there at dusk to see the bats leave, must be a sight. There are mountains of bat guano in that tunnel.

The evolution of engineering and transportation is on display in that area like nowhere else in the US. The Indigo was one of 4 tunnels and 23 bridges for one railroad extension from Hagerstown to Cumberland. Not a great distance.

I've read about the extension issues. W.VA doesn't seem interested in spending any money on these things. People in Berkeley Springs, W.VA have also tried to develope paths to connect to the trails in the area. There have been starts and stops. I read one article a year or so ago that the town even put a stop to volunteers and private donations. Politics are so ugly these days.

Biking these places combines my love of history, biking and engineering.

20161015_112635.jpg

Since we're talking about the seasons and weather, what's it like this morning, in your area around the region? 35°F (2°C) here on September 19th at 5:30 am. It's not even officially autumn yet!

42 degrees, clear sky, no wind at 8:30 am in Selinsgrove. Didn't look at the temp when I got up at stupid o'clock, but it was cold and foggy. Everything was sopping wet.

Since we're talking about the seasons and weather, what's it like this morning, in your area around the region? 35°F (2°C) here on September 19th at 5:30 am. It's not even officially autumn yet!

In the northeast corner of PA, it was 33 F this morning (9/19) with frost in spots.

Looks like a great stretch of riding weather for the next 6 days if you can handle the low 40's for the start of a ride.

Same story here in the NY Capital region. It was 32 a couple of hours ago, sitting at 41 just before 9AM. I am rethinking today’s ride to the gravel bike and the early changing colors of the woods today from the original road bike plan. Summer sure hit the wall around here... it was basically two heat waves tied together with some warm weather, but it‘s gone now.

Last September is the last time I rode the WMRT. The Indigo Tunnel detour to the C&O from my Garmin.

View attachment 65723

It would cost a lot of money to open that tunnel, the interior is still shored by wood timbers. The ramps to the detours looks to have cost a lot to me. Long concrete switchback ramps. Considering this, I think any consideration of opening the tunnel is off the table for my lifetime. I've never been there at dusk to see the bats leave, must be a sight. There are mountains of bat guano in that tunnel.

The evolution of engineering and transportation is on display in that area like nowhere else in the US. The Indigo was one of 4 tunnels and 23 bridges for one railroad extension from Hagerstown to Cumberland. Not a great distance.

I've read about the extension issues. W.VA doesn't seem interested in spending any money on these things. People in Berkeley Springs, W.VA have also tried to develope paths to connect to the trails in the area. There have been starts and stops. I read one article a year or so ago that the town even put a stop to volunteers and private donations. Politics are so ugly these days.

Biking these places combines my love of history, biking and engineering.

View attachment 65725

The Indigo Tunnel would indeed cost a bundle to rehab:

P1070623a.jpg P1070625a.jpg P1070627a.jpg

When I was taking the pic of the tunnel interior, I accidentally dropped my lens cap. It landed about 6' inside the bat gate. While I was fishing it out with a stick, I disturbed a couple of bats which flew out through that grate like it wasn't there. Bats are amazing flyers and that grate is well engineered to accommodate them.

As you say, a lot was spent on those detour ramps. I believe it was a joint effort involving the C&O canal park with some federal $$ used.

P1070628a.jpg P1070634a.jpg

The Indigo Tunnel would indeed cost a bundle to rehab:

View attachment 65783 View attachment 65784 View attachment 65785

When I was taking the pic of the tunnel interior, I accidentally dropped my lens cap. It landed about 6' inside the bat gate. While I was fishing it out with a stick, I disturbed a couple of bats which flew out through that grate like it wasn't there. Bats are amazing flyers and that grate is well engineered to accommodate them.

As you say, a lot was spent on those detour ramps. I believe it was a joint effort involving the C&O canal park with some federal $$ used.

View attachment 65786 View attachment 65787
Great tunnel pics! It is a long tunnel. You guys that haven't been there yet, I drew a circle around the light at the end of the tunnel. I'd love to go in there. With a respirator...

20200919_094105.jpg

Great tunnel pics! It is a long tunnel. You guys that haven't been there yet, I drew a circle around the light at the end of the tunnel. I'd love to go in there. With a respirator...

View attachment 65788

If you're a tunnel fan like I am, you should try the Pike 2 Bike Trail near Breezewood, PA. :

The trail is a 9 mile section of the abandoned PA Turnpike with two tunnels you can ride through. The Sideling Hill Tunnel is over 6000' long and there isn't a "light at the end of the tunnel" visible when you're inside. One of the most bizarre trails I've ridden.

P1060972a.jpg P1060975a.jpg P1060976a.jpg P1060979a.jpg P1060986a.jpg

If you're a tunnel fan like I am, you should try the Pike 2 Bike Trail near Breezewood, PA. :

The trail is a 9 mile section of the abandoned PA Turnpike with two tunnels you can ride through. The Sideling Hill Tunnel is over 6000' long and there isn't a "light at the end of the tunnel" visible when you're inside. One of the most bizarre trails I've ridden.

View attachment 65799 View attachment 65800 View attachment 65801 View attachment 65802 View attachment 65803
@6zfshdb Are you using anything special for your headlight in that pic ?

@6zfshdb Are you using anything special for your headlight in that pic ?

Yes, it's this Olight X7R Marauder 12000 lumen hand held floodlight:

61wULbMA0kL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It has an internal battery so it doesn't waste valuable bike battery power. It can be recharged via the bike's USB port if necessary. It isn't cheap but neither are some of those high powered bike lights. I like this one for tunnels since it illuminates the walls & ceiling which focused beam headlights won't. It's also a multitasker which I use for other non bike related jobs.

I attach it to the bars with these RAM products which make it easy to use on my other bikes:

P1080055a.jpg ramb201a.jpg ramb231zinc_img2.jpg

Has anybody hiked the falls trail at rickets glenn state park? Is it worth a trip?

I was thinking of checking into a hotel in wilkes barre for a night on monday, then biking the susquehanna warrior trail one day and walking the rickets glen trail the next.

I haven't been up there in a few years, but it was pretty dry, not much more than a trickle, IIRC. You should check the conditions beforehand if the waterfall is important to you.

I haven't been up there in a few years, but it was pretty dry, not much more than a trickle, IIRC. You should check the conditions beforehand if the waterfall is important to you.

Thanks for that tip. Are the waterfalls generally dried up at this time of year, or do they start flowing after a rainfall?

I noticed most of the waterfalls at lehigh gorge were dry last week, maybe its just this time of year.

If you're a tunnel fan like I am, you should try the Pike 2 Bike Trail near Breezewood, PA.
That's been on the list for a long time. Some say it's worth it, some say not. I posted this 6 years ago, as you can see I've jumped right on that. Good intentions... I will get there.

That is some light you have:oops:

The Pike 2 Bike in itself isn't worth a long drive. The trail isn't well defined and you have to make your own way around debris from the deteriorating highway surface. There are a number of other trails nearby however which can be incorporated into a trip. Breezewood is 30 minutes north on I-70 from Hancock MD. From there, you have easy access to the WMRT and C&O trails. I usually stay in the area and ride all three.

The Pike 2 Bike in itself isn't worth a long drive. The trail isn't well defined and you have to make your own way around debris from the deteriorating highway surface. There are a number of other trails nearby however which can be incorporated into a trip. Breezewood is 30 minutes north on I-70 from Hancock MD. From there, you have easy access to the WMRT and C&O trails. I usually stay in the area and ride all three.

Just a footnote to anyone interested in riding the Pike 2 Bike Trail. I suggest you avoid the western (Breezewood) end at Hwy 30 & Tannery Rd. Parking is not the best and trail access is via a 50 yard path up a steep embankment. The eastern end at Pump Station Road is better but a bit difficult to find since it appears to be a private driveway. I much prefer a little known parking area off Oregon road at the center of the trail. It's used mostly by hunters but it has a short 50' path leading to the trail.

On average, the peak colors in the canyon occur during the first week in October. this can vary however with weather conditions.

There are several good hotels & motels in Wellsboro. Most are a bit pricey though for what you get. This is especially true during the fall foliage season. I usually go for the major hotel chains that offer free breakfast. I get special deals at Choice & Wyndham hotels which are both available in Mansfield, 30 minutes east of Wellsboro. Mansfield is located on Route 15, a high speed interstate which parallels the trail. Driving times are shorter to get to trail heads at the south end of Pine Creek than they are from Wellsboro. If you plan to do the trail one way in one day, this isn't a factor however.

I've used Pine Creek Outfitters several times in the past when riding the trail with my conventional bikes. They know their stuff but as you say, it can get expensive. Since I retired, time isn't as important so I generally ride the trail down & back and take two days. The e-bike makes short work of the uphill grade. The cost of the extra night at the hotel is cheaper than the taxi service.

My usual itinerary, which I've done a dozen or more times in the last few years, is this: I check into a Mansfield hotel in the afternoon and do an 18 mile leisurely two way evening ride from the top of the trail at Wellsboro Jct to the Darling Run trail head and back. The next day I ride from Darling Run down to Slate Run & back for a distance of 52 miles. The following day, I drive down Route 15 to the Slate Run Trail head and ride to the south end at Jersey Shore & back for a total distance of 58 miles. Afterward, I head home.

Although I rode Pine Creek many times one way going down hill north to south, I was pleasantly surprised to note the scenery was completely different riding in the opposite direction. It's almost like riding a different trail.

The Watkins Glen Gorge is indeed a great hike. Whenever I'm up there, I usually ride one of the trails around the finger lakes as well. If you drive an hour north of Watkins Glen, you can ride a section of the Erie Canalway Trail, another great ride.

I'll be up at the Pine Creek Gorge mid-next week. I'll only have a single full day there. Realistically, I can ride about 60 miles total in a day - 30 miles up and 30 miles back.

What would you say is the best ~30 miles stretch of the Gorge that I should focus on?

Also, would I be missing out on a lot of good parts if I only ride that single stretch?

Thank you?

I'll be up at the Pine Creek Gorge mid-next week. I'll only have a single full day there. Realistically, I can ride about 60 miles total in a day - 30 miles up and 30 miles back.

What would you say is the best ~30 miles stretch of the Gorge that I should focus on?

Also, would I be missing out on a lot of good parts if I only ride that single stretch?

Thank you?
I would say the northern end is the best of the 65 mile trail.

If you're interested in a one day ride where there's a lot to see, we rode a section of the GAP last week that was one of the most interesting one day rides I've been on.

Frostburg MD to Garrett PA. Round trip is only about 44 miles, but it's the steepest section of the GAP/C&O trail, a couple thousand feet of elevation gain.

Screenshot_20200924-102100_Connect.jpg

Two train tunnels you ride through. One about 1000' feet and another 3400' feet long. The longer tunnel is illuminated.

20200923_110752.jpg 20200923_110804.jpg

Underpass at the Eastern Continental Divide.

20200923_112434.jpg 20200923_112606.jpg

Two viaducts, one 2000' and another 950'

20200923_133203.jpg 20200923_120206.jpg

20200923_193827.jpg

A couple of historic train stations and plenty of mountain views. If you like modern windmills, there are dozens erected on mountain peaks. You're so close you can hear them.

20200923_110011.jpg

Even the drive there is interesting.

20200923_084026.jpg 20200923_083853.jpg

Weather was perfect at 70°, sky was so blue and clear. Beautiful ride.

Back