Pace500 Step Through - Frame size recommendation?

wrangler6061

I have a Pace500 on order for myself (can't wait for it to ship!). Large frame is was the obvious choice for me due to my size (6'4" and 260 lbs). Looking at the Pace500 Step Thru as a possibility for my wife, who is 5'6" - and I'd say "average to long legged" for her height.. and 150 lbs or so.. Per the Aventon website, the small frame size says 4'11" to 5'8".. and the medium frame size states 5'8" and up.. I lean towards the medium frame size for her.. as I'm thinking that frame size will keep her from having the seat post super high as it might be on the small frame size. (My logic says that for the small frame size to accommodate a 4'11" person, the seat tube can't be very tall or it would be too tall for that height?) I tried to make "comparable" measurements on her existing Schwinn non electric step thru hybrid bike.. ===> some match closer to the small frame Pace500 Step Thru.. and others match closer to the medium frame.. so not sure it helped that much. If this were a "non" step thru model like mine.. I might err on the smaller frame size due to stepover height.. but.. given this IS a step thru model, that isn't an issue. Any guidance would be appreciated!

My wife is 5'2", she ordered a small, and the pic below shows how much seat post is showing for her. I'm sure there is another 4-5" of post available, but then you'd be at the top end of the post height.

With your wife described as slightly long-legged, my humble opinion is that she'd rather be on the larger frame with the post low, rather than the small frame with the post raised up. A more comfortable upright position may also be an advantage of that choice.

Attachments

• IMG_4329.JPG
    IMG_4329.JPG
    582.7 KB · Views: 611
On this picture a 5'2" person has ~6-7" of post extended on the small frame. If she installs seatpost suspension for added comfort (many people do), there will be only 2-3" of the post showing.

Medium frame is 3" larger so she would either have the post fully inserted or would be sitting 1" higher than she needs. I would rather have some post showing than sit too high.

On this picture a 5'2" person has ~6-7" of post extended on the small frame. If she installs seatpost suspension for added comfort (many people do), there will be only 2-3" of the post showing.

Medium frame is 3" larger so she would either have the post fully inserted or would be sitting 1" higher than she needs. I would rather have some post showing than sit too high.
Agreed.. if my wife is 4" taller than this person.. maybe the seatpost is up another inch or two.. so I'm still thinking the medium frame size is the best bet.. Thanks!

Hello, I'm just shy of 5'- 5", 130#, 29.5" inseam, rode a small and a medium, the small is rather small. I couldn't really tell much difference in handling, but certainly sat more upright on the medium. I am looking at suspension seatposts as well, for the more expensive ones you need 4-5 " of seat post min. I had almost 4" on the medium, so with your wife being over an inch taller I think your leaning towards the medium makes sense.

Also if you look at Aventon size guide it states 4'-8" - 5'-6", which is different from the geometry image they have.

Seatposts are a whole other thing, I'm still researching but it seams they are more designed for people closer to 200#. They work for lighter riders just less adjustment to have a softer ride, which is what I'm looking for.

Back