Pace 500/350 Assembly Tips

robrob

Here's a few quick assembly tips for the Pace 500 & 350.

Start charging the battery as soon as you get the bike out of the carton and the packing removed. The battery removal keys are zip tied to a handlebar cable. I went crazy trying to find them so I could get the dang battery off and charging
1f642.png
:)

Remember to remove the plastic brake pad separators (Pace 500 only) but wait to do it just before the rear wheel and front brake caliper install. If you accidentally pull the brake lever with the separator out the pads will compress and you'll have a heck of a time installing the wheel and caliper.

Having a friend to hold the bike comes in handy for the wheel installs.

It seems impossible to get the motor cable through the rear axle cap hole but it can be done. Line the cap hole up with the slot in the rear axle when you push the cap on.

I had to add a tie wrap for the motor cable to keep it away from the tire.

The steering head will only go partially onto the steering tube. Turning the head bolt will bring it down the rest of the way. The 500 has an adjustable steering stem so you don't need to use the metal cap that was on the tube for shipping. The 350 uses that metal cap. [EDIT: The 500 comes with a black plastic plug for the stem hole. Insert the plug after you torque down the steering head bolt.]

The 500 has an adjustable steering stem to change the height and reach to the handlebar. There is a hidden bolt under the stem that must be loosened to adjust the bar along with the bolts at the stem pivot. Don't forget to tighten the hidden bolt when you get the bar set to your desired position.

You don't have to mount the water bottle holder on the handlebar. It can go on the lower seat tube (frame) in a more normal position. I had to use a pair of pliers to gently squeeze the clamp a little to allow the bolt to start into the nut.

Use the packet of grease on the pedal threads and seat tube. The grease on the pedals will help keep the steel pedals from seizing up on the aluminum cranks and prevent creaking. Don't be stingy with the grease or the pedals will creak under hard pedaling.

Remember the left pedal has backward, left-hand threads so turn it counter-clockwise to thread the pedal on.

The derailleur hanger on my Pace 350 was bent during shipping. I replaced it with the extra hangar supplied with the bike.

Over the first week or so I had to tighten up the shifter cable as it stretched during its breakin. I turned the cable adjuster at the shifter control outward (clockwise when sitting on the bike) to tighten the cable. Usually 1/4 or 1/2 of a turn was all that was needed to quiet down the drive train.

If you bought the Soda Pop Fenders the kit does not include the correct length bolt for the front fender. I had to use a longer bolt and use a nut to attach the fender bracket. Use the large clip for the rear fender seat tube clip.

I watched the Aventon assembly video a few times while waiting for the bike but the above info wasn't included.

Enjoy your new ebike.

Last edited:
Pace 350 Differences:

The Pace 350 disc brakes do not have plastic brake pad separators in the brake calipers.

The rear axle tabbed washer on the left, brake disc side goes outside the frame with the tab down and sticking inward. The other side goes inside the frame with the tab down and sticking outward.

My wife's 350 rear brake cable was way too loose. I had to loosen the cable clamp at the brake caliper and pull some cable through. I could then use the brake lever adjuster to fine tune.

I checked the spoke tightness on both the Pace 500 at 100 miles and the 350 at 40 miles and found several that were really loose. Too many loose spokes can cause broken spokes, especially on the high torque Pace 500 rear wheel. Spoke tension specs are: Park Tool Tension Gauge 28 (107kgf) on drive side rear, 24-25 (68-76kgf) non-drive side and front wheel. Spokes are 13 gauge, round stainless steel 2.3mmx198mm drive side, 199mm non-drive side.

Last edited:
I found the derailleur hanger not installed and did not notice it was missing until trying to hang the derailleur. argg.

Small, but don't forget to put the black plastic plug in the stem before it's adjusted and snugged down. I don't think it is mentioned anywhere.

What "black plastic plug"? Maybe I missed that.
There is a small black plastic plug about 1/2" in diameter that fits into the stem center hole before the front part of the stem is raised, partially covering it up. I think a lot folks miss it.

I did miss that. I kept all the parts so I'll have to go look for it. Right now the stem hole and bolt are exposed.

Redi is correct. The plug covers the stem hole for protection from water and dirt. Aesthetics also. Here it is on Pace 500 StepThru.

Attachments

• 20200221_054329.jpg
    20200221_054329.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 651
I found the plastic stem plug in the same bag that the extra derailleur hanger came in. It does look better.

Anyone else having an issue with the seat post slipping? I can't seem to get the clamp tight enough so it doesn't eventually slip.

Anyone else having an issue with the seat post slipping? I can't seem to get the clamp tight enough so it doesn't eventually slip.
Yes, I did. Did you grease the seat post as they suggest? I had to remove the grease and it stopped going down less often.

The tab attached to this big black washer broke off. Will that be a problem? I can't figure out what purpose the tab filled.

Bike Part.JPG

My Pace 500 nor 350 had that big black washer. They both have normal size tabbed washers on both sides of the axle. The tab keeps the motor torque from spinning the axle. I would contact Aventon and ask for a replacement tabbed washer because now all the motor torque is being transmitted through the one tabbed washer on the other side of the axle.

Back