Outside (Hitch Rack) vs. Inside (Tote) Transport

ExFire

Comparing 2 bikes in two totes with 2 bikes on a 2 bike hitch mounted rack

Tote:Rack.png

As you might guess, I am impressed with the "Tote" option, but I have tried to be objective while compiling this comparison. I'm sure I may have failed to think of some things, so your input is welcome.

Last edited:
Comparing 2 bikes in two totes with 2 bikes on a 2 bike hitch mounted rack

View attachment 61567

As you might guess, I am impressed with the "Tote" option, but I have tried to be objective while compiling this comparison. I'm sure I may have failed to think of some things, so your input is welcome.
We have snuck our bikes in to many hotels and resorts by putting them in our totes on a suitcase trolley and putting a blanket over them and rolling them in to our rooms..Safe and sound..

We have snuck our bikes in to many hotels and resorts by putting them in our totes on a suitcase trolley and putting a blanket over them and rolling them in to our rooms..Safe and sound..

Darceman, I replied with a simple "Great idea,Thanks", and that reply has since disappeared.
Is there some rule against short messages with no real content? (I'm new, and may be ignorant of any monitoring that goes on here.)

I think platform racks made for heavy e bikes have less negatives than you list. If it is a decent rack and they are put on correctly there should not be a lot of jarring and vibration over what you regularly experience in a car. Some parts are padded and secured. Many racks have locks and you can add your own. Many racks tilt out of the way to give access to the back if you have a hatchback. Bikes are not hard to load on racks. You can load one side at a time. I do not usually have my bikes on the rack for long periods of time. I take them off when I get to my destination. Is one rack really 5x the cost of two totes ? How much do you think racks are ? I know you can get a hitch rack for two e bikes for around $300.00. That said, seems like you want totes which is reasonable for folding bikes.

If I'm driving from CHicago to Tampa around New Years with bikes, and I have done that, I want the bikes inside my vehicle. They or at least the covers would be completely encrusted with road salt by the time I passed Chattonooga. and I'm not leaving ebikes outside at night.

When we took bikes to Colorado, about five nights before we actually go to where we were going to ride them, we had them outside the car. No road salt as it was June, although it did snow outside Denver. We rolled them into every hotel at night. THere was one outside Lincoln, NE. No elevator. Third floor. Ugh.

Hope your SUV has a two inch receiver. That allows some very robust platform racks that can handle two Lectric XP's. You really can't find a 1 1 /4" rack that's honestly rated for that kind of weight, and if you do, they probably wobble like mad unless you use roof straps.

I think platform racks made for heavy e bikes have less negatives than you list. If it is a decent rack and they are put on correctly there should not be a lot of jarring and vibration over what you regularly experience in a car. Some parts are padded and secured. Many racks have locks and you can add your own. Many racks tilt out of the way to give access to the back if you have a hatchback. Bikes are not hard to load on racks. You can load one side at a time. I do not usually have my bikes on the rack for long periods of time. I take them off when I get to my destination. Is one rack really 5x the cost of two totes ? How much do you think racks are ? I know you can get a hitch rack for two e bikes for around $300.00. That said, seems like you want totes which is reasonable for folding bikes.

Hi BET,

No intent to squabble here. I don't think I said bikes are hard to load on racks. I credited the rack with an easier/lower lift.

As to cost, I had in mind the 2-bike rack demoed by Jeremiah McIntosh on youtube, (about $350 I think,) ...and the large tote from Lowe's, about $37 If I remember correctly. The prices can be easily checked, and of course will be more or less for other models of racks/totes. You could say a particular rack might be "only" 4X the cost of two large totes, but another more expensive rack might be 6X the cost of two smaller totes.

As for rear access, a tilted rack with bikes on it between you and your vehicles interior is good to get the hatch open, but not so good for actually using the opening to access/load/unload other content. A swing aside feature is more useful IMO.

I have said in another thread that I "like" the rack that Jeremiah has, and I would get that one if I did not prefer the tote system.

Regardless of inexactness, I tried to be objective writing the comparison, and believe I did a generally fair job of it. I don't sell totes or racks, but feel, myself, that a dirt free dry bike, out of the easy notice and reach of thieves, (defeating locks is their profession) with ability to walk up and open my hatch with nothing in my way, and my receiver clear to tow a boat or other trailer if desired, make my decision easy. I also will be relatively free of the risk of careless driver damage when stopped for lunch or in a supermarket parking lot.

To each his/her own, of course,

Best wishes, however you transport your bikes :)

You have to use what works for you. I misunderstood when you said "totes." I thought you meant some specialized bike carrying totes with wheels, not just a regular hardware store type tote.

You have to use what works for you. I misunderstood when you said "totes." I thought you meant some specialized bike carrying totes with wheels, not just a regular hardware store type tote.

BET( and everybody)

Here are links to the videos showing the tote and the rack I had in mind when making the comparison:

Tote

Receiver hitch rack

Tote negative: Loss of cargo space.

We're talkin' SUV (so called) if we are wanting to haul this much stuff, right? Keep the $2500 worth of bikes safely inside,
and use other options for the rest, ...roof rack carrier, hitch platform carrier, utility trailer, hired help driving 2nd vehicle, Sherpa bearers,
put some in the boat, get a bigger SUV, tie suitcases to ropes and drag 'em, or if you're smarter than the average bear, tele-transport it as in "The Fly".

Can you say "easy peasy"?

Kidding, of course :), but if you consider the bikes to be valuable "cargo", then you have cargo space well utilized.

Back