Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

D

Deleted member 18083

It's the start of a new decade of ebike adventures…

Borallon, Queensland

Click photo to view full-size.
Borallon, Queensland
The sun has risen on a new decade of ebike adventures.

I hope you will share your rides in words, photos, videos and maps.
… David

Last edited by a moderator:

Find your way around this thread …

The links will become active as the year progresses.​
Note:
  • Our 2020 & 2019 adventures are on separate threads.
  • There are links (like these) on the first page of each thread.
  1. January
  2. February
  3. March
  4. April
  5. May
  6. June
  7. July
  8. August
  9. September
  10. October
  11. November
  12. December
  • January
  • February
  • March
  • April
  • May
  • June
  • July
  • August
  • September
  • October
  • November
  • December

Last edited by a moderator:
20210101_125257.jpg20210101_125308.jpg20210101_125451.jpg20210101_125502.jpg

OK. Someone has to make the first post of 2021, so I guess my totally inadequate first ride of the new year will have to do.

High noon, 30 degrees Fahrenheit, heavy clouds but no wind. First time I wore a coat (old leather bomber jacket) instead of just a windbreaker. Started out and didn't get 300 yards before it started the sleet/snow/rain mixture so beloved of central Pennsylvania.

A few miles along I stopped atop a hill with a graveyard and a view to shoot the first two pictures.

Then I saw the snowplow salt truck in the next two pictures and realized I was going to have to follow that in freshly dumped salt all the way out to the next ridge. Nope. Nope.

Turned around and returned home.
Another first ... my post ride beer replaced with hot coffee. Going to need to find my old leather chaps for next ride. My jeans were soaked and frozen in places. But anyway it's January and it's supposed to be cold here.

No ride for me today. Outside the windows the rain is pouring down, intermixed with sleet and tiny bits of ice that keep "plinking" on the leafless trees, the naked bushes, and the cold walkway bricks. The weather is giving me a firm no for being outside, with bike or not. So my metalclad steeds continue to wait in the garage for a more agreeable day to take me out for a ride down the roads.

In the meantime I have been treated to an unexpected email, a "good job" pat on the back summary of my 2020 rides from RideWithGPS. I checked with the Vado which showed me 1,397 of those miles belonged to it. The rest belong to the carbon belt drive LaFree. But 100% of those miles belong to me, and I can't tell you how proud I am of myself for that. Just one old lady on an ebike, riding around the countryside, enjoying the views.

Wonder what 2021 will bring. Hopefully, more miles, more vistas, new ebike friends, and lots and lots of new open roads to enjoy.

Attachments

• 2020-Recap-from-RideWithGPS.jpg
    2020-Recap-from-RideWithGPS.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 440
I doubt the elevation gain figure though 😉 Strava gave a realistic figure for my 2020 rides while RWGPS doubled the number!

Unfortunately, I'm still a few months away until I can post an appropriate e-bike related photo. It was a bit of an overcast sky this morning but still quite a pleasant -7 C when I set out on my ride. There were people on the trails but far fewer than I expected. Otherwise, it was a rather uneventful New Year's Day outing.
IMG_20210101_1152536.jpg

IMG_20210101_1156595.jpgIMG_20210101_1201560.jpgIMG_20210101_1211594.jpg

No ride for me today. Outside the windows the rain is pouring down, intermixed with sleet and tiny bits of ice that keep "plinking" on the leafless trees, the naked bushes, and the cold walkway bricks. The weather is giving me a firm no for being outside, with bike or not. So my metalclad steeds continue to wait in the garage for a more agreeable day to take me out for a ride down the roads.

In the meantime I have been treated to an unexpected email, a "good job" pat on the back summary of my 2020 rides from RideWithGPS. I checked with the Vado which showed me 1,397 of those miles belonged to it. The rest belong to the carbon belt drive LaFree. But 100% of those miles belong to me, and I can't tell you how proud I am of myself for that. Just one old lady on an ebike, riding around the countryside, enjoying the views.

Wonder what 2021 will bring. Hopefully, more miles, more vistas, new ebike friends, and lots and lots of new open roads to enjoy.
Really like the chart by month, didn't know those stats were available. And congratulations on all those miles.

You are absolutely correct - the elevation change is tremendously overinflated. I believe they are projecting it starting each ride at 0 elevation when it should be 590' above sea level. I have to figure out how to get to that benchmark to change so the elevation changes aren't bordering on rediculously false.
I doubt the elevation gain figure though 😉 Strava gave a realistic figure for my 2020 rides while RWGPS doubled the number!

Really like the chart by month, didn't know those stats were available. And congratulations on all those miles.
The chart came to me via an email from RwGPS. Total surprise. I still have to check the numbers against my Garmin totals. The totals from MapMyRide,which is always recording alongside RwGPS every ride, says I accomplished 3,090 miles this year. I know I have been using MMR for years, but didn't start using RwGPS until sometime this year so the data totals are probably missing some of my early rides in 2020.

When I checked my lifetime stats for MapMyRide, it gave me a total from 2012-2020. It said I have biked (are you ready for this?) 1,129,356.55 miles in 191 rides. That is one million, one hundred twenty-nine thousand, three hundred fifty-six miles. There is no way I could EVER have put this many miles on a bike in 8 years - I don't even put 50,000 miles on my car in a year - so whatever is computing the daily stats for me is really off wack. Maybe if we move the decimal point to get 11,293 miles - this seems more realistic, but not with 191 rides (= 59.12 miles per ride) when my average miles are about 25 per ride.

Last edited:
The chart came to me via an email from RwGPS. Total surprise. I still have to check the numbers against my Garmin totals. The totals from MapMyRide,which is always recording alongside RwGPS every ride, says I accomplished 3,090 miles this year. I know I was using MMR from last year, but didn't start using RwGPS until sometime this year so the data totals are probably missing some of my early rides in 2020.

I like have backup redundant systems working in the background in case the main recording fails for some reason.
Good plan. I am always amazed at how quickly we have all been trained to trust anything that comes from a computer. I used to pull out my calculator to check the figures from a spreadsheet back when I was programming. Today, that's not only insane, it's impossible.

2021 starting off correctly!

Screenshot_20210101-160051.png

Once again I tried to stay on paved and cleared paths. I was considering heading over to visit a friend as he was really interested in my new tires, but the side roads were still brutal.

My first photo is Ronald McDonald House, where families can stay while their children are being treated at the Children's Hospital (photo 2). Current Covid situation has gotten in the way of one of my favorite charitable activities, whereby a friend of mine has me and my wife help her office cook dinner for the residents. We'd normally try to do that twice a year, but not in 2020.

20210101_131833.jpg 20210101_131837.jpg

From that area I travelled down to the path that parallels the Bow river.

20210101_134518.jpg 20210101_134522.jpg 20210101_141234.jpg

I rode the pathway eastwards until I was on the other side of the Calgary Zoo, where the pathway turns north and follows the Nose Creek all the way to north of the area I live. I took a break there and refueled for the final leg.

20210101_141253.jpg 20210101_141302.jpg

For the whole ride, I once again had the earbuds in, and enjoyed getting to the end of my audiobook "The Thursday Murder Club" by Richard Osman. A nice cozy british mystery.

All in all, a super kickoff to 2021!

Last edited:
Good plan. I am always amazed at how quickly we have all been trained to trust anything that comes from a computer. I used to pull out my calculator to check the figures from a spreadsheet back when I was programming. Today, that's not only insane, it's impossible.
There are possibilities to export data from Strava to Excel. so I presume there are ways to do the same from RWGPS. It might be an interesting analysis. I think many of us are software experts :) (I'm the one in process simulation).

"Post-Ride Beer" E-Ride

Well. First to see my daughter Magda at the Social Care Home (DPS). I was on a tight appointment, yet I rode with 45/45 assistance to get some workout in the New Year 2021. Luckily I was on time. Mild backwind certainly helped meet the schedule!

1609600161097.png

Season decoration at DPS Bramki. The weather was dull, and it was rather cold. No raining, though.

1609600279697.png

Some time ago, I managed to make a married couple in Toruń become hopheads. Małgorzata (who is a social care worker herself; her husband is a University Professor) told me she had some excellent Polish craft beer for New Year's Eve. I thought I might get some myself because...

1609600487082.png

...there are as many as two craft-beer stores in my direct neighbourhood! So...

1609600555967.png

...I visited both of those on my way back, ending up with six cans of different excellent beer (including the one recommended by Małgorzata)! This one from Piwne Podziemie (Beer Underground) brewery felt as dense as cream!

1609600678400.png

Ride Map.

In Hot Pursuit of An E-Biker

I stopped for a short rest at a bus stop in Falęcin (and had a pleasant talk with a runner met there) when I spotted an e-bike ridden by an elderly gentleman. How could I determine that was an e-bike? The type of motion. The guy was riding pretty fast but he was "peddling" (pedalling) :D at low cadence and effortlessly. Oh, you... I slowly replaced my helmet and goggles, turned the motor on, restarted my riding apps, pulled the gloves on, then... I switched to Turbo mode and attacked the pedals! What a ride! The other e-biker must have gained a kilometre ahead of me (yes he did; I've just checked it up on the map) so I was in a hot pursuit after him. I caught him on entering to Brwinów, drove onto the bike path and engaged in a conversation. He turned to be an LBS owner, selling, inter alia, e-bikes. He was just on a test ride of a Panasonic hub-drive motor e-bike, the classic design with the battery on the rear rack. As a person peddling :) e-bikes, he was not very much aware of the e-bike world. My Vado seemed to be a mystery for him. I had to explain to him the "S-Pedelec" concept etc. All in all, the pursuit gave me a good workout and it put me in excellent mood. Then I went shopping ales and stouts :)

1609601558044.png

Ride metrics.

Last edited:
new snow today so out we go

Attachments

• 3D54B488-7EC2-438A-9D64-09870521CD01.jpeg
    3D54B488-7EC2-438A-9D64-09870521CD01.jpeg
    777.2 KB · Views: 623
  • 5E6E75B0-A846-4C4D-A065-27641B29A757.jpeg
    5E6E75B0-A846-4C4D-A065-27641B29A757.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 602
  • 96E4A1A5-7830-4D69-B656-44E0EA90B798.jpeg
    96E4A1A5-7830-4D69-B656-44E0EA90B798.jpeg
    602.3 KB · Views: 633
  • 5BC8431B-8710-4720-A8C4-7517C0C8EB8E.jpeg
    5BC8431B-8710-4720-A8C4-7517C0C8EB8E.jpeg
    487.2 KB · Views: 627
  • D18D26C1-D7EB-4062-9F7F-21395BFD7076.jpeg
    D18D26C1-D7EB-4062-9F7F-21395BFD7076.jpeg
    788 KB · Views: 593
  • EEDBFD4E-00ED-4F86-9224-6BF8D1E41877.jpeg
    EEDBFD4E-00ED-4F86-9224-6BF8D1E41877.jpeg
    679.6 KB · Views: 597
Just over 40F degrees at noon today, and even a few specs of blue in the sky that I haven't seen in days. So no coat or balaclava needed, and I took back roads and trails out to a special playground for kids with disabilities.
The county built this a couple years back and it's been a hit. The equipment is designed to be accessible to kids with a variety of problems, and parents bring their here by car or van from upto several hours drive away.
Today trails are a mucky mess, so there wasn't anyone except me out there. In fact, I didn't see another person on the whole ride except when I rode through town and stopped to get a takeout (takeaway for Brits) foot long sub sandwich which just barely fit in my frame bag.

And saw this cool bike from the 1950s in the shop window next door. It's not electric, but it looks like it sure wants to be.

Logged 8.8 miles at average of only 9.3 mph due to the mud and such. A friend of mine calls this leftover snow, mud, and water 'snert' a combination of snow and dirt. Anyway I am quite a wimp on distance riding, but today I wasn't tired at all and could have gone much futher without 'jelly legs', except I needed to to bring back lunch for my wife. And post ride beverage was a nice white wine to go with the turkey sub sandwich and key lime pie.
20210102_123010.jpg20210102_124213-1.jpg20210102_122207.jpg20210102_122710.jpg

Attachments

• 20210102_124554.jpg
    20210102_124554.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 535
  • 20210102_130122.jpg
    20210102_130122.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 488
  • 20210102_133204.jpg
    20210102_133204.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 464
Short ride today, mainly dropping a few things for family and friends. I think I spent as much time social distanced socializing as I did cycling. It was a nice day and it was good to be able to drop off some late gifts.

Screenshot_20210102-183553.png

I tested out my new grips, and although the wrist supports are great, the wings will take some getting used to. I might consider removing a little width from the handlbars.

I didn't take any pictures, but if I'd taken a selfie, it would have looked like this:
😁

Short ride here, too. 8 quick miles (13k). The rain/ice/sleet yesterday and last night had left the gravel roads half lake/half shoreline, which didn't seem to deter the troops of cyclists who emerged from self-imposed winter hibernation to make thin tracks, in various states of wobble, legibly etched into the wet gravel on every road in the neighborhood. They were out in droves only because the (0°c) freezing weather crap from yesterday had been replaced - by an apologetic Mother Nature - with a one-day-only deal: a balmy day of 50°f (10°c).

The photo below seemed to have been a familiar scene on just about every gravel road... downed trees from recent winds and bad weather lining the roads that their carcasses had been recently obstructing until our local VDOT could chainsaw the offending wood into stacks of splintered roadside logs.
IMG_20210102_135438_6_copy_816x612.jpg

No wonder most of the visiting roadies chose to stick to the less challenging paved roads today. Only the gravel bikers found the gravel roads entertaining and well worth the grimy effort. I noted that the gravel bikers rode more in packs today than solitary like me, yet all of us were on a race to get in as many miles as possible on this bonus day. The only concession to Winter was the brisk winds which, besides being cold and annoying, made it necessary for a ski jacket and warm gloves to be part of one's cycling attire if one wanted to remain toasty warm.

My goal was just a quick run around the block on my bike and then home to hop on my horse to meet up with another of my neighbors, E, on her horse to enjoy a slower, equine jaunt around the gravel roads of a different block. As my horse sauntered to a halt at E's driveway for us to wait for her (she was endeavoring to find a missing boot for her horse's hind foot and texted me it would be a few minutes before she made her appearance) her next door neighbor's husband, R, rolled by on his Mongoose. He stopped to chat and we spent the next couple of minutes swapping some cycling stories (he used to do some of the big well known multiday rides in various states around the U.S.) and lamenting the demise of all the 2020 bike rides (he had only gone to two before everything afterwards was cancelled. I told him I had managed to get in only one ride before all went to hell in a handbasket). By then E was strolling down her driveway on her horse, now suitably booted, to join the conversation. Since R had only just started back riding with a fitness goal in mind, which translated to just 5 miles that day in light of some kind of cronic knee injury (brought on by years of running, he said) which needed to be babied, I told him once he got up to 25 to 35 miles - easily several months down the road - to give me a call and we'd go cycling together. Unless, that is, I said pointedly, he got smart and got an electric bike, at which juncture I'd see him for a ride next week. He laughed, but I think he rode on home in front of us with a new idea tickling his brain.

A few moments later (E and I were barely past her driveway at this point) my cycling neighbor, G, caught up with us. She, too, was taking advantage of the rare afternoon. She actually lapped us a few miles later down the road (E and I were crawling at a 3mph walking stroll on our horses, so slow an energetic snail could have lapped us as well), and we all stopped to talk, again. G complained her hands were freezing by now and she had spent the last 10 miles dreaming of electric socks and electric gloves. E and I , on the other hand, were dressed for a blizzard, and thus were toasty warm. Actually, I was still in my cycling attire, having just jumped from the end of my ride on my chrome pony to a real one. G finally took off towards home to thaw her extremities and spend the remainder of the evening online searching to buy some electric socks and gloves for her next winter outing.

E and I sauntered on, stopping to talk with other neighbors out for a walk with friends and pets, and at least two young families out with baby carriages and family dogs on leashes. Walking the local gravel roads, for diversion or simply to get out and exercise, and perchance meet other neighbors for a bit of safe socializing, has become the favorite pastime since Covid decided to encamp in our area. We even saw R's wife coming home in her car. She stopped and rolled down her window to talk, and we told her we'd already passed R who was probably home by now. She sighed, and told us that since they've been locked down that riding his bike was his only outlet. She was happy to know he was out and about as she was just coming home from riding her horse - her main means of Covid relief. As she left to rejoin her hubby at home, E and I continued on, the miles slowly passing under hoof. At the crosstoads where we were going to part ways towards our respective farms, we did see one dad on his bike, patiently waiting with an indulgent smile as his little daughter stood and waved a bunch of dead grass over a paddock fence, hoping to entice a visit of a disinterested herd of goats on the far side of the paddock. The goats were ignoring her offering, which she promptly dropped on the ground once E and I strolled into view on our far more impressive horses. I looked around for the little girl's bike, but was astonished to see at her feet, lying sideways in the grass, a kiddie electric foot scooter instead. Her dad smiled up at us and said that she could really move along on it, easily outpacing him. Turns out they lived just a quarter mile down the road, so I'm sure I will be seeing him and his cute offspring again once the warmer weather rolls back around. Maybe by then she will have graduated to a bike.

The gravel roads will be quiet tomorrow. We're due for the return of cold weather, more rain, and possibly more ice.

Screenshot_20210102_215611.jpg

Last edited:
I hope I can contribute soon as cycling is totally ruled out at the moment! You can see why below...nice weather for walking though ;) Our roads aren't much different to this....

Attachments

• 20210103_085752.jpg
    20210103_085752.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 435
  • 20210103_090902.jpg
    20210103_090902.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 436
  • 20210103_090914.jpg
    20210103_090914.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 419
  • 20210103_091143.jpg
    20210103_091143.jpg