Organizing Your Bike Bag

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
My thanks to @PCeBiker who's post #63 on tool bags in the REAL bargains thread prompted me to post this.

Have you ever needed something from your bike bag only to find it's on the very bottom and have to rummage around to find it? Do items inside the bag bounce around and rub together while you ride causing minor damage? A few years back, I discovered these small canvas zipper pouches which work great for organizing & protecting the items you carry:

There are many such items available in all sizes and shapes but look for those that are lined or treated with waterproofing to prevent moisture penetration which can lead to condensation. Metal items, especially tools, can be affected so it's sometimes a good idea to use small desiccant packs.

Although they conform to the available space, the bag itself does take up some room. IMO, it's worth the minor sacrifice to be able to protect and quickly find the item you're looking for. Most of the time, I just put my bag on the bike I'm using that day but sometimes, I switch bags depending on the type of ride I plan. These canvas pouches also make it a snap to transfer you gear between bags or panniers.

IMG_003249.jpg
IMG_003251.jpg
IMG_003253.jpg
IMG_003256.jpg
IMG_003257.jpg

These canvas bags are quite versatile and can be used in a variety of locations on the bike

I use a larger size to hold heavier items like tools:

IMG_003259.jpg
IMG_003260.jpg

I moved the bike bag slightly to the rear of the rack to make room for it behind the seat. I hold it in place with this bungee net clipped to the pannier rails:

IMG_003263.jpg
IMG_003264.jpg

The possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

Last edited:
I don't have any pics but I TOTALLY rely on those little canvas bags for exactly what @6zfshdb describes. On my Bullitt I have four of them for my online tool kit/crap, which includes electric pump, spare chain, Knipex pliers, knife, two spare inner tubes (20" and 26" wheels on my cargo bike), patch kit, spare chain and so on. I have two pouches and four little canvas bags, two per side.

Actually I do sort of have a pic. I had pulled over to do a chain cleaning. I prefer to work somewhere like this, outdoors versus my dreary ol' garage. Hard to make out the Ortlieb fork pack (next to the bottle cage) that is unfurled as its black against a black background, but on the bench you can see the two canvas pouches that were inside of it. Also the kickstand is on top of two hockey pucks that raise the bike wheel off the ground. Those go into my kit as well.

Here's an add to the pouches: If you have stuff that still rubs and clinks and rattles: Put it and a few other items inside of an old sock within the pouch. You can see the sock on top of the grey pouch at left. That sock is an emergency rag, too.

20230210_130640.jpg

I have two sets of the waxed canvas bags @6zfshdb linked but in the Large size, and they are probably the best quality available. However, these are softer and cheaper. The zippers aren't quite as strong but are still metal. My external bags are waterproof/drybags so I am not concerned with water resistance on the pouches.

In addition to tools, another pouch like these is used for my wallet, phone and keys. I have splurged on the Klein leather pouch for this. Amazon says I bought mine in 2016 for $10 less. It still works beautifully and has a nice patina worn in.

This one held wallet, keys, phone and ankle straps (for pants legs) on my way into work today. Bought in the same shipment as the Klein one, and cheaper, it still looks new 7 years later.

Last edited:
Here's an add to the pouches: If you have stuff that still rubs and clinks and rattles: Put it and a few other items inside of an old sock within the pouch. That sock is an emergency rag, too.

I was thinking of adding foam or packaging materials to stop the clinks, but an old sock is a much better idea.

I ridgid case for glasses is good to protect small delicate items from getting squished.

20230331_152655.jpg

Last edited:
I ridgid case for glasses is good to protect small delicate items from getting squished.
My glasses go into my top bag down in the frame, with just a flexible eyeglass pouch around them to keep the lenses from getting vibration-scratched. If I have a cargo net over the cargo bay up front, I just weave them into the netting and they stay put out in the open.

I meant to use an old glasses case for storing delicate items that might get squished in a roll up tool bag.

20230331_160012.jpg

I was thinking of adding foam or packaging materials to stop the clinks, but an old sock is a much better idea.

View attachment 150659
Now I know what to do with all the old glasses cases that I have lying around.

Back