Ordering online: Hoping the Retül size tool is accurate

veloowl

Region
USA
Hi all,

I live in an area where the closest shop that actually has a Vado 4.0 SL step-through that my wife could try is at least two hours away, so I have to order online. She's 5'5" with a 30" inseam. According the the size chart on the product page, that's the top end of the small and the low end of the medium. But the Retül size calculator, measuring her leg and ankle in addition to height, recommended the medium. Here's to hoping!

On the other hand, next year I hope to get the Creo EVO gravel bike. I've ridden my friend's size large and it fit me perfectly, so less of a guessing game there.

It's a bummer that these local shops are so strapped for bikes. I spoke to 3 shops and I swear they all said the same thing: "we're out, and our Specialized reps can't tell when we'll be getting more...could be in a week, could be 6 weeks, could be next year."

She's 5'5" with a 30" inseam.
but the Retül size calculator, measuring her leg and ankle in addition to height, recommended the medium.
30" inseam is 762 mm. Standover Height for Vado SL 4.0 ST size M is 631 mm. You wife should experience no issue to mount and dismount that e-bike. The size considerations are more important with Step-Over frames. (Necessary to mention, your wife will get some more Reach with the M size frame, which I found to be a good thing).

P.S. I generally trust Retül. It has found the right frame size for me and was off for the saddle height only for 2 cm.

Last edited:
I guess that as a tool it generally works fine to help focus on a specific size. But I found that in using it for a Creo, it suggested a SMALL for me. I found the Medium more appropriate and less "crowded."

I agree it really is a shame that there are not sufficient stock to allow potential purchasers to test.

But I found that in using it for a Creo, it suggested a SMALL for me. I found the Medium more appropriate and less "crowded."
You got more Reach :)
I ride a size M Vado SL and it is fine for me. However, I demo rode a size L Vado SL successfully; now I think I would appreciate the bigger frame!

30" inseam is 762 mm. Standover Height for Vado SL 4.0 ST size M is 631 mm. You wife should experience no issue to mount and dismount that e-bike. The size considerations are more important with Step-Over frames. (Necessary to mention, your wife will get some more Reach with the M size frame, which I found to be a good thing).

P.S. I generally trust Retül. It has found the right frame size for me and was off for the saddle height only for 2 cm.

Thanks so much for this feedback. This is really helpful.

Hope the weather where you are is allowing you to get out and ride.
Yes, decidedly. I own both the full power Vado and a Vado SL. Have a look at this photo:

1646673234091.png

That was my demo ride in June 2021. Vado SL 4.0 (non-EQ) size L. The ride ended with a storm (headwind) and hail. I completed the ride successfully. Given the circumstances, I came to believe Vado SL was "The light cruiser HMS Fearless". On my next visit to the store, I bought a Vado SL 4.0 EQ (because of the local climate) on the spot, and she became my everyday ride. However, I ride my full power Vado 5.0 on weekends and during the holidays for demanding, long, fast, and steep trips.

Yes, decidedly. I own both the full power Vado and a Vado SL. Have a look at this photo:

View attachment 116090
That was my demo ride in June 2021. Vado SL 4.0 (non-EQ) size L. The ride ended with a storm (headwind) and hail. I completed the ride successfully. Given the circumstances, I came to believe Vado SL was "The light cruiser HMS Fearless". On my next visit to the store, I bought a Vado SL 4.0 EQ (because of the local climate) on the spot, and she became my everyday ride. However, I ride my full power Vado 5.0 on weekends and during the holidays for demanding, long, fast, and steep trips.
Beautiful!

You got more Reach :)
I ride a size M Vado SL and it is fine for me. However, I demo rode a size L Vado SL successfully; now I think I would appreciate the bigger frame!
I wonder how meaningful Spec's listed standover heights are. Tero is 807 mm for both M/L sizes, Vado is 771 mm for both M/L sizes but Vado SL is listed at 790 mm M and 815 mm L. My SL is a medium and I have no issues with standover but feel a bit scrunched lengthwise. I demoed both a 2022 Vado and Tero in size L and they felt more comfortable tho 4x power makes things seem easier in any event. I'm thinking I should be on a L frame for the SL as well but reality is I just bought what was available at the time. If I do end up buying a Tero or full size Vado I will wait for a size L frame.

Vado SL is listed at 790 mm M and 815 mm L
1646699064735.png

Or even taller when you look at the data for Vado SL 4.0 at the Polish website.

There is decidedly something in what you're saying, Nub. According to geometry given by Spec, I should never be able to straddle Vado SL even in the size S but I could safely ride the size L! Necessary to mention, I was even not considering a purchase of a diamond-frame Vado SL based on the geometry data until I actually tried those e-bikes! Moreover, the Stand-Over Height data for Creo SL listed in the Polish website were wrong and different from the U.S. site!

Back to the @veloowl questions: the Step-Through frame is easy to mount and dismount, and I'd personally recommend a larger frame if someone is on the verge of two possible frame sizes.

Nub, Tero or Vado: Are you not personally baffled by Teo being Class 1? Just a question (I would be happy if we had Class 1 in Europe!)

Hi all,

I live in an area where the closest shop that actually has a Vado 4.0 SL step-through that my wife could try is at least two hours away, so I have to order online. She's 5'5" with a 30" inseam. According the the size chart on the product page, that's the top end of the small and the low end of the medium. But the Retül size calculator, measuring her leg and ankle in addition to height, recommended the medium. Here's to hoping!

On the other hand, next year I hope to get the Creo EVO gravel bike. I've ridden my friend's size large and it fit me perfectly, so less of a guessing game there.

It's a bummer that these local shops are so strapped for bikes. I spoke to 3 shops and I swear they all said the same thing: "we're out, and our Specialized reps can't tell when we'll be getting more...could be in a week, could be 6 weeks, could be next year."
It’s not a bummer lbs can’t provide bikes. It’s a serious foul against specialized. They are able to provide bikes direct, abandoning The lbs who’s whole business is based on being a specialized dealer. I was shopping Vado 5.0 until I realized the screwing they are putting on their own dealers!

It’s not a bummer lbs can’t provide bikes. It’s a serious foul against specialized. They are able to provide bikes direct, abandoning The lbs who’s whole business is based on being a specialized dealer. I was shopping Vado 5.0 until I realized the screwing they are putting on their own dealers!
I'm not sure whether the Specialized Delivery pertains to e-bikes.
I wouldn't be so harsh. The lack of bikes/e-bikes is a global issue, and Specialized do not fare badly in these hard times. If Specialized Delivery also included e-bikes, many people in a country as big as the United States could benefit from that. Not everyone has a Specialized LBS nearby.

I'm not sure whether the Specialized Delivery pertains to e-bikes.
I wouldn't be so harsh. The lack of bikes/e-bikes is a global issue, and Specialized do not fare badly in these hard times. If Specialized Delivery also included e-bikes, many people in a country as big as the United States could benefit from that. Not everyone has a Specialized LBS nearby.
Any way you look at it- they have to decide if they are selling direct or thru dealers. Seems they’ve chosen direct. Any dealer that stays with this mfg- deserves whatever they get. Global issue or nodealer nearby
customer should encourage mfg. to pass leads on to their dealers- not swipe the sale from dealer.
‘unless I’m missing something(I usually am), s-ecialized is overtly screwing their own dealers- bad.

Any way you look at it- they have to decide if they are selling direct or thru dealers. Seems they’ve chosen direct. Any dealer that stays with this mfg- deserves whatever they get. Global issue or nodealer nearby
customer should encourage mfg. to pass leads on to their dealers- not swipe the sale from dealer.
‘unless I’m missing something(I usually am), s-ecialized is overtly screwing their own dealers- bad.
I'm not happy either. However, I shop at a local Tier 1 Specialized store. The only exception was ordering very special tyres for my Euro Speed Vado online: the tyres that the LBS has never carried.

I was shopping Vado 5.0 until I realized the screwing they are putting on their own dealers!
The point is any other brand won't offer as good electronics or as good motor as the Spec 2.2. Your protest won't do any harm to Specialized.

Believe me, I know. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to fight city hall- so to speak. In this case, it won’t be long dealers recognize situation and they can do as they wish. Maybe I’m just not seeing the whole picture or something.

Believe me, I know. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to fight city hall- so to speak. In this case, it won’t be long dealers recognize situation and they can do as they wish. Maybe I’m just not seeing the whole picture or something.
"Times They Are A-Changin'"... The times before pandemic were easy. I can only say for my area but what I could notice was Specialized got rid of LBS that were not bringing them enough business. Who's remained? Stores such as Specialized Warsaw. The guys there did everything to make me return. Always finding time for me, excellent & express technical service, and well stocked in bikes & e-bikes. Possibility to take representative e-bike models for a demo ride for a day or for a weekend. Bike wash! Retül studio! Competent people. It looks Specialized has reserved a pool for online sales but the dealer seems to get a decent share of bikes for the floor.

Now. Many people (unlike me) would have never visit an LBS. If they order online and collect at the LBS, the dealer gets 25% of the sales commission. If the dealer delivers the bike home, they get 50% of their commission. Bear in mind: the dealer has done nothing to actually sell the bike but still gets some sales commission.

I can only say I am so fortunate to have an excellent Tier 1 Specialized store some 30 km away... While I was bitching about another Warsaw dealer (the one who sold me the Vado*): they were pathetic with bad service. And I don't think they are a Spec dealer anymore. Not with their attitude!
----------------
*) What would you think of an LBS that sells you a 2017 e-bike claiming it is a MY 2019 one? Of an LBS that installs a 11-42t cassette when the spec reads 11-46T? An LBS that keeps you waiting for 14 days to do the servicing of your e-bike? Let them sell Trek!

Last edited:
"Times They Are A-Changin'"... The times before pandemic were easy. I can only say for my area but what I could notice was Specialized got rid of LBS that were not bringing them enough business. Who's remained? Stores such as Specialized Warsaw. The guys there did everything to make me return. Always finding time for me, excellent & express technical service, and well stocked in bikes & e-bikes. Possibility to take representative e-bike models for a demo ride for a day or for a weekend. Bike wash! Retül studio! Competent people. It looks Specialized has reserved a pool for online sales but the dealer seems to get a decent share of bikes for the floor.

Now. Many people (unlike me) would have never visit an LBS. If they order online and collect at the LBS, the dealer gets 25% of the sales commission. If the dealer delivers the bike home, they get 50% of their commission. Bear in mind: the dealer has done nothing to actually sell the bike but still gets some sales commission.

I can only say I am so fortunate to have an excellent Tier 1 Specialized store some 30 km away... While I was bitching about another Warsaw dealer (the one who sold me the Vado*): they were pathetic with bad service. And I don't think they are a Spec dealer anymore. Not with their attitude!
----------------
*) What would you think of an LBS that sells you a 2017 e-bike claiming it is a MY 2019 one? Of an LBS that installs a 11-42t cassette when the spec reads 11-46T? An LBS that keeps you waiting for 14 days to do the servicing of your e-bike? Let them sell Trek!

I think the seller still does something to sell the bike because Spec will not sell as many bikes online in areas where no dealers exist since most folks realize eventually they will need service.

And what's a 'Tier 1' Spec LBS? What are the criteria?

And what's a 'Tier 1' Spec LBS? What are the criteria?
I cannot answer your question precisely. The term has emerged quite recently. I think the Tier 1 dealer is "almost a Specialized company", the dealer that is getting the biggest share of the products to sell because of their sales volume.

Have a look at this picture:
1646752480245.png

This dealer has a small fleet of vans and station-wagons branded with Specialized logos and mottos. They get a large share of bikes for their floor. Their provide all services expected from a premium Specialized dealer including Retül bike-fitting, building custom S-WORKS bikes, organizing sales events (including mass demo rentals and guided tours on the rented bikes), and more.

For instance, you have a lot of money to burn. You order an S-WORKS bike frameset, and you choose the components to install. You get a complete service including bike-fitting in the store.

Back