Orbea Gain E-Road Bike

Are you able to watch the percentage meter of the motor on your app to see if its cutting out too sharply. Otherwise I'm afraid it's just your legs feeling the extra work required once the motor drops out. I find that I bounce on and off the 20mph speed limit a lot and yeah your legs will feel it.

Are you able to watch the percentage meter of the motor on your app to see if its cutting out too sharply. Otherwise I'm afraid it's just your legs feeling the extra work required once the motor drops out. I find that I bounce on and off the 20mph speed limit a lot and yeah your legs will feel it.
Will have a look at it today when I’m out. Thanks.

I just recently purchased a new 2019 Orbea Gain M30 (size Medium) on eBay for $2,900 all in. I feel pretty good about the price and am looking at possible carbon wheelset and cockpit updates. Whether it's actually worth the $$$ to shave roughly .5kg / 1 lb of weight and to improve the feel, who knows. That's not really what I'm asking to be debated though.

I did a full Syncros carbon wheelset and cockpit upgrade to my Diamondback Century 6c last year and it was well worth it, but I also found a guy locally on Craigslist dumping the whole Syncros setup for $750 all new off his bike so it was a no-brainer to trade out my aluminum parts for the beautiful carbon. The weight savings were awesome getting me from 19lbs to slightly below 18lbs and the performance is noticeable.

Before I keep rambling on, I guess the questions that I have are this regarding my Gain M30:

1. Has anybody changed out the Aluminum wheelset and/or cockpit to full carbon, if so has it been worth the money to you?
2. I see that the M10 comes with the Mavic Carbon wheelset. Can other carbon wheels be used on the M30, or is the Mavic carbon the only option due to the Ebike Hub Motor?

I just recently purchased a new 2019 Orbea Gain M30 (size Medium) on eBay for $2,900 all in. I feel pretty good about the price and am looking at possible carbon wheelset and cockpit updates. Whether it's actually worth the $$$ to shave roughly .5kg / 1 lb of weight and to improve the feel, who knows. That's not really what I'm asking to be debated though.

I did a full Syncros carbon wheelset and cockpit upgrade to my Diamondback Century 6c last year and it was well worth it, but I also found a guy locally on Craigslist dumping the whole Syncros setup for $750 all new off his bike so it was a no-brainer to trade out my aluminum parts for the beautiful carbon. The weight savings were awesome getting me from 19lbs to slightly below 18lbs and the performance is noticeable.

Before I keep rambling on, I guess the questions that I have are this regarding my Gain M30:

1. Has anybody changed out the Aluminum wheelset and/or cockpit to full carbon, if so has it been worth the money to you?
2. I see that the M10 comes with the Mavic Carbon wheelset. Can other carbon wheels be used on the M30, or is the Mavic carbon the only option due to the Ebike Hub Motor?
I'm not the expert on this issue but have a m20i and have wondered about switching to carbon wheels too. I think I have read that because of the spoke configuration for the extra weight the Mavic Carbon wheels may be the only option. And they are not inexpensive. I considered buying the m10i when I bought my m20i but but between the availability timing and the cost difference went with m20i.

I sure there are some much more knowledgeable people than I am on this.

I have the Mavic carbons, great wheels. Also changed over bars and stem to carbon, got the bike just under 24lbs. Any decent wheel builder, should be more than capable of building new rear wheel around the hub motor.

I have the Mavic carbons, great wheels. Also changed over bars and stem to carbon, got the bike just under 24lbs. Any decent wheel builder, should be more than capable of building new rear wheel around the hub motor.

wow nice, what model / size do you have?

Do you recall the weight prior?

27lbs. Also replaced cassette with a Dura Ace 12-28 along with Conti 5000 tyres, Xpresso Titan Carbon pedals. When lockdown is finished (I'm isolated for 12 weeks because of transplant) I have a Rotor Elliptical chainset to replace the Ultegra. One area I don't compromise though? Saddle, got my favourite Brooks on. Ps. I also have a Gain D20, use it during winter and on my trainer too.

27lbs. Also replaced cassette with a Dura Ace 12-28 along with Conti 5000 tyres, Xpresso Titan Carbon pedals. When lockdown is finished (I'm isolated for 12 weeks because of transplant) I have a Rotor Elliptical chainset to replace the Ultegra. One area I don't compromise though? Saddle, got my favourite Brooks on. Ps. I also have a Gain D20, use it during winter and on my trainer too.
wow dropping 3 lbs is impressive. Yes i'm right around 27lbs on the 2019 M30 Medium as well.

I just took it for a very short test spin, i live in a Denver neighborhood so didn't go very far as I was trying to figure out the iWoc. For some reason I could only get it to go green or turn off. I was able to get orange and red to blink, but then they wouldn't stay there. Is cadence an issue as I wasn't pedaling too fast, or am I missing something?

I just took it for a very short test spin, i live in a Denver neighborhood so didn't go very far as I was trying to figure out the iWoc. For some reason I could only get it to go green or turn off. I was able to get orange and red to blink, but then they wouldn't stay there. Is cadence an issue as I wasn't pedaling too fast, or am I missing something?

While the relevant light is blinking you give it another short press to move up to the next assist level. Once at level three, you press again to come back down to level 1. It's not possible to drop from 3 to level 2. Hope that makes sense?

I think the issue is that I confused the lighting system, user error. I even read about this before.

I forgot that the light always goes back to green when the charge is over 50%.

Can an Apple Watch act as a heart rate monitor with the ebikemotion app? Just started riding an Orbea Gain M20. The app says ‘disconnected’ in red, I understand the HR monitors are separate equipment. But, my watch is capable of monitoring heart rate for other health applications, etc.

Can an Apple Watch act as a heart rate monitor with the ebikemotion app? Just started riding an Orbea Gain M20. The app says ‘disconnected’ in red, I understand the HR monitors are separate equipment. But, my watch is capable of monitoring heart rate for other health applications, etc.

To register HR on the app you must have a Bluetooth HR strap.

Hi. new member here and I have a question regarding the Orbea Gain. I'm looking to purchase an e-Bike for my wife to help her climb on steep climbs, 10% - 15% gradients. Her current speed on these gradients is around 4mph, with a low cadence of 45-60 rpm. On climbs with 4% gradients, her speed is around 6-7mph. Would the Orbea Gain be able to kick in and assist my wife up these climbs? Please advise, much appreciated. I've read conflicting comments, etc. where some folks say the motor doesn't work with this profile (low speed, low cadence) on steep climbs. My wife would be happy if it helped her gain additional 2mph up these climbs. She currently rides Specialized Ruby, with a 34/32 combination.

I would look to a bottom bracket motor bike. The Gain doesn't work that well at low and high speeds because of the hub motor. I've been on 15% grades at max power and am only doing about 5 mph. It helps but bogs down at slow speeds.

I have to preface this by saying that I've not ridden a bike with a bottom bracket motor. If you can keep your cadence within the power band of said motor, it would work much better, I would think. The Creo may have a problem there because it likes high cadence and the gearing is not that low. I'd love to ride one someday and compare to my Gain.

Another bottom bracket powered bike is powered by the Fazua motor (e.g., Focus Paralane2, Trek Domane+ LT...). However, I read a test report that compared the Gain to the Focus, and they said the Gain had more power in the climbs, so go figure.

Last edited:
I would look to a bottom bracket motor bike. The Gain doesn't work that well at low and high speeds because of the hub motor. I've been on 15% grades at max power and am only doing about 5 mph. It helps but bogs down at slow speeds.

I have to preface this by saying that I've not ridden a bike with a bottom bracket motor. If you can keep your cadence within the power band of said motor, it would work much better, I would think. The Creo may have a problem there because it likes high cadence and the gearing is not that low. I'd love to ride one someday and compare to my Gain.

Thank you for the response. I was looking at the CREO as an option as well, but the stand-over height would be a little high for her (even in XS size). Her inseam is around 27 inches. Plus, the reach is slightly longer, and the Q-factor is wider on the CREO. Yes, my wife is on the petite side. If Specialized made an ebike with the Ruby geometry, it would be perfect for her... but I guess that's wishful thinking.

Back