Orbea Gain E-Road Bike

What 700x28 tires are forum members finding success with?

I'm riding a Gain M20i which came in the USA with Mavic Aksium Elite Disc UST tubeless ready wheels and Mavic Yksion Pro tires. I am riding with a tube around 100PSI in the rear. The rear only lasted like 1,000 miles so I tried a Schwalbe 11600810 Pro One but that wore out quickly too. Most other tires wont fit the Mavic rims (despite the UST part!) And, even the Yksion and Schwalbe are extremely hard to mount by hand.

Just wondering if there are other options I havent yet discovered. I'm looking for durability over weight. I dont mind the hard ride of a 28 at the higher end of the recommended pressure range.

-E
My M20i (Australia) also came with Mavic Aksium Elite Disc UST tubeless ready wheels and Mavic Yksion Pro tires. Currently done 1800 km (1100 miles). FYI I weigh about 77 kg (170 lbs)There is only limited wear. Currently I am running them tubeless and with pressure 65 psi in the front and 75 psi in the back. (see https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/tubeless-tyres.34765/) The ride is comfortable and from all information the bike is probably faster at these pressures rather than 100 psi. When I took the Mavic Yksion Pro tyres off and on again, I found then very easy. I did not need to use a lever to put them on ; only used a lever to get the tyres off

In the link provided another rider suggests that he installed 28 mm Continental GP 5000 TL tyres on those rimes and it was very easy.

Chris

My M30 uk 2019 model came with mavic aksium ust rims, yuksion tubless tyres, but had innertubes fitted. I had several early punctures and had great difficulty removing the tyres, even greater difficulty getting them back on. The use of tyre levers and brute force broke several levers on trapped numerous inertubes, meaning the painful process often needed to be repeated.
My first puncture was a rusty tack that found its way in side the tyre, it was at this point I discovered I also had tubes fitted. The severe difficulty in removing and replacing the tubless tyres frightened me from actually going down this route properly. I damaged the rims quite badly and didn't fancy this out on the road if I got a flat the sealant wouldn't patch.
Decided to opt for 28mm GP5000 clincher version with tube.
Fitting was much easier, other than getting the bead to sit in the groove in the rim correctly. Lots of initial pressure and massaging to get it to pop into place.
Tyres are significantly more comfortable than the tubless they replaced, with a noticable drop in rolling resistance despite the much improved grip.
I'm not convince the wear rate will be great, but so far so good.

Decided to opt for 28mm GP5000 clincher version with tube.

Let us know how the GP5000s hold up. I'm still running higher pressure (around 100-105) but have now switched to tubeless with a Bontrager AW2 Hard-Case Lite in the rear (still have the Yksion Pro in the front).

I dont notice a huge difference over having tubes inside, but the tires seems to hold pressure better.

Will report back on wear.

Done 500 miles so far in them, work well at low pressure about 80psi but have them 90 to 95 just in an effort to help me keep up with daughter who forgets its all me over 15.5mph.
I will let everyone know how they hold up, but they actually feel tacky to touch so not expecting miracles. That said rolling resistance was noticeably better despite the feel.

I recently purchased a Pinarello Dyodo an on my third ride I decided to bring along a water bottle. Well believe it or not, with a water bottle installed, and my iphone in my back jersey pocket, the bluetooth would disconnect. On the two previous rides, I didn't have a problem with bluetooth disconnecting. And I was able to confirm that if I removed the water bottle from the down tube, the bluetooth connection would resume. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Orbea Gain, love it!
I have been riding for 12 years, started late at 56 through racing triathlons. For the last 5 years my ride has been a Fuji gran fondo 1.3, carbon, ultegra Di2. I ride every week once or twice, sometimes more. The problemis that my wife is a stronger rider, 9 years younger, super athletic and 40lbs lighter than me, therefore when we climb she is much faster, I suffer to keep un and end up not enjoying the climbs. After a lot or research just bought the Orbea Gain, carbon Di2. We live in the SM Mountains, and we are surrounded by iconic rides, Piuma, Latigo, Stunt, Rockstore, to get out and ride you need to climb something. Of the bat, the first day I rode, badly fit and with the saddle that came with the bike we went on a 22 miles ride, part of it was going up Stunt which is a steady hard climb of 4 miles. Normally I do it in about 45 minutes, this time it took me 33. I was able to keep with my wife and pass her if I wanted to. I am using ONLY the lowest assist power, green level. My interest is range rather than power, I do not want to power up the mountain, for that I have a motorcycle, I want a road bike that looks like a road bike and helps me climb. After a couple of rides took it to a bike store and got fitted. I shortened the stem and changed the saddle to an ISM I am comfortable on. Yesterday we went on our long ride so far (with the Gain). Using only the green level we did 42 miles with an elevation gain of 3,300’. When we got back my phone app showed still 53% of battery left, which means that I can go on an 80 miles ride, climb over 6,000 feet, and still get home with some juice left.

The gain is just like a nice regular road bike, sleek and pretty. I love the disk brakes and going downhill handles exceptionally well, the rear tire does not bounce, and the bike feels quick and responsive. The humming g of the motor is very low, when you hear it is because it is helping you climb, and I do not mind the help at all. I love the fact that does not come with a cockpit of lights and switches, one button controls everything and you cycle between the levels of assistance, I have my phone holder on my handlebar and the app tells me speed, level of assistance and power being generated and more.

My only problem is that the motor shuts off at 15 miles and not at 20 as advertised. I have contacted Orbea and it seems that I need to take it to an Orbea dealer for a firmware upgrade. I will follow up with how that goes, but otherwise, my challenging rides have become much more fun.

Orbea Gain, love it!
I have been riding for 12 years, started late at 56 through racing triathlons. For the last 5 years my ride has been a Fuji gran fondo 1.3, carbon, ultegra Di2. I ride every week once or twice, sometimes more. The problemis that my wife is a stronger rider, 9 years younger, super athletic and 40lbs lighter than me, therefore when we climb she is much faster, I suffer to keep un and end up not enjoying the climbs. After a lot or research just bought the Orbea Gain, carbon Di2. We live in the SM Mountains, and we are surrounded by iconic rides, Piuma, Latigo, Stunt, Rockstore, to get out and ride you need to climb something. Of the bat, the first day I rode, badly fit and with the saddle that came with the bike we went on a 22 miles ride, part of it was going up Stunt which is a steady hard climb of 4 miles. Normally I do it in about 45 minutes, this time it took me 33. I was able to keep with my wife and pass her if I wanted to. I am using ONLY the lowest assist power, green level. My interest is range rather than power, I do not want to power up the mountain, for that I have a motorcycle, I want a road bike that looks like a road bike and helps me climb. After a couple of rides took it to a bike store and got fitted. I shortened the stem and changed the saddle to an ISM I am comfortable on. Yesterday we went on our long ride so far (with the Gain). Using only the green level we did 42 miles with an elevation gain of 3,300’. When we got back my phone app showed still 53% of battery left, which means that I can go on an 80 miles ride, climb over 6,000 feet, and still get home with some juice left.

The gain is just like a nice regular road bike, sleek and pretty. I love the disk brakes and going downhill handles exceptionally well, the rear tire does not bounce, and the bike feels quick and responsive. The humming g of the motor is very low, when you hear it is because it is helping you climb, and I do not mind the help at all. I love the fact that does not come with a cockpit of lights and switches, one button controls everything and you cycle between the levels of assistance, I have my phone holder on my handlebar and the app tells me speed, level of assistance and power being generated and more.

My only problem is that the motor shuts off at 15 miles and not at 20 as advertised. I have contacted Orbea and it seems that I need to take it to an Orbea dealer for a firmware upgrade. I will follow up with how that goes, but otherwise, my challenging rides have become much more fun.

I've had my Orbea Gain for a year and a half and I totally agree with Carlos, except I haven't had any problems with my bike. My OH loves it as much as I do, for the same reason - he doesn't have to slow down, push me or wait for me, so we both have a better ride. I'm 75 and very grateful to still be able to go on long rides with big climbs (we live in Languedoc, in s. France). My pride made getting an e-bike a difficult decision; I'd been riding a road bike since 1983 and an e-bike seemed like cheating. I love that my bike looks sleek, gives me a great, smooth ride and that the battery and motor aren't immediately obvious :)

Brew, have you tried Rouvy? Half price of Zwift. For me not racing anymore I find it more compatible with the riding I do now.
I just installed it on my Apple TV. I’m using my Yamaha Civante on it. I’m looking forward to more training indoors.

Just rode my new 2020 Orbea Gain M20i for a little initial ride shakedown run in my neighborhood. My bike was delivered to me last week, but it took me a few days to assemble and setup plus add my accessories. I opted to do the assembly and setup myself as I'm pretty picky and anal, plus I have a good mechanical/technical background and I like to be acquainted fully on any machine I buy with some hands on time. The bike is quite smooth and quiet, and rides pretty much like a standard road bike with no assist. My other bike is a Focus Paralane Di2 with Mavic Carbon Cosmic Pro SL's, so it weighs about 8.5 pounds less. The extra weight of the Gain feels like it smoothed things out to my surprise. Trying out the power levels I would say level 1 is like having a slight tailwind all the time. Level 2 was definitely more of a boost. Level 3 was just a bit more than 2, and I didn't feel as much difference between 2 and 3 VS 1 and 2. I'll try my regular 10.5 mile circuit I do that close to home tomorrow. The stack is quite a bit lower than my Focus, and although I didn't feel uncomfortable it's definitely a more aggressive geometry than my Focus. First impressions is that this bike is designed to do exactly what I need, which is give me a confidence boost to ride more and longer. You can still get a good workout and bring your heart rate up for sure. And looks wise, it is a fairly light (for an e-bike) attractive looking road bike that doesn't have "weird looking e-bike" written all over it.

Just rode my new 2020 Orbea Gain M20i for a little initial ride shakedown run in my neighborhood. My bike was delivered to me last week, but it took me a few days to assemble and setup plus add my accessories. I opted to do the assembly and setup myself as I'm pretty picky and anal, plus I have a good mechanical/technical background and I like to be acquainted fully on any machine I buy with some hands on time. The bike is quite smooth and quiet, and rides pretty much like a standard road bike with no assist. My other bike is a Focus Paralane Di2 with Mavic Carbon Cosmic Pro SL's, so it weighs about 8.5 pounds less. The extra weight of the Gain feels like it smoothed things out to my surprise. Trying out the power levels I would say level 1 is like having a slight tailwind all the time. Level 2 was definitely more of a boost. Level 3 was just a bit more than 2, and I didn't feel as much difference between 2 and 3 VS 1 and 2. I'll try my regular 10.5 mile circuit I do that close to home tomorrow. The stack is quite a bit lower than my Focus, and although I didn't feel uncomfortable it's definitely a more aggressive geometry than my Focus. First impressions is that this bike is designed to do exactly what I need, which is give me a confidence boost to ride more and longer. You can still get a good workout and bring your heart rate up for sure. And looks wise, it is a fairly light (for an e-bike) attractive looking road bike that doesn't have "weird looking e-bike" written all over it.
Hi Due to artery probs I bought myself an Orbea Gain M1 eighteen months ago. It is the best thing I’ve done. As a former competitive cyclist in my early days, I thought my days were numbered and no longer would I be able to cycle with my club mates. Not at all. This week I clocked up over 100 miles. Not bad for an Auld guy age 80 in June.
Now for the bike. Best fitting bike I’ve had in years and I have and still have a few. At 5’7” I ride a small frame.
I note what you say about the power Levels, I had to reduce my L2 power because my mates were being dropped.
I did have problems with the Range Extender Battery. I’m now on my 3rd one in 12 months so not too happy! The newest one seems ok? Battery life? I believe I may have to replace the main one after 3 years as I have noticed a reduction in the range. Eg Whereas when new range was 55miles. It’s now sitting at 42miles. And if you ride in hills as I do in Scotland then it reduces even further. Hence the need for a RE.
Enjoy the Orbea as I do!

I've been trying all 3 of the power modes, and I definitely feel very little if any difference between level 2 & 3. I checked the engine settings, and all 3 modes are at the default 100 setting. So I changed them to L1-50, L2=75, and L3=100. I'll try that on my next ride. My battery is down to 25%, so it's going to get it's first charge since the initial charge. Anybody else not feeling much difference between L2 & L3?

I've been trying all 3 of the power modes, and I definitely feel very little if any difference between level 2 & 3. I checked the engine settings, and all 3 modes are at the default 100 setting. So I changed them to L1-50, L2=75, and L3=100. I'll try that on my next ride. My battery is down to 25%, so it's going to get it's first charge since the initial charge. Anybody else not feeling much difference between L2 & L3?
Nope. Mine has been fine. All were set at 100% but I reduced L2 to 80. Maybe once you recharge the battery all will be ok.

So, did you reduce L2 to 80 because the difference between L2 and L3 was too minimal like I'm noticing?
No. There was a marked difference in each of the three settings. I just felt I needed to reduce L2 a wee bit so that when riding with my friends we were on the same playing field. Have you checked the power output on your phone while riding?

No. There was a marked difference in each of the three settings. I just felt I needed to reduce L2 a wee bit so that when riding with my friends we were on the same playing field. Have you checked the power output on your phone while riding?
No, I usually just keep my phone in my seat bag, as I have a Garmin 1030 mounted to my bars along with the Orbea display/control. I'll have to figure out how to temporarily mount it to my cockpit.

I have an M30 and use a Wahoo Kickr Core, which is a direct drive trainer. Since I have to remove the rear wheel my rides are all "non-assisted", but that's how I want it on a trainer anyway. Fit is not a problem on this trainer for the M30, and I would highly recommend it, it transmits power, speed, cadence.
I've been curious on how to get my Gain on the Sirius H3 which is similar to your Kickr. What thru axle did you end up finding to work for it? Thanks for the info @MikeC89

Back