Orbea Gain E-Road Bike

You guys are waiting for the battery to arrive, while in British Columbia (and I expect the rest of Canada) we're still waiting for the bike itself to become available.:confused:

You guys are waiting for the battery to arrive, while in British Columbia (and I expect the rest of Canada) we're still waiting for the bike itself to become available.:confused:
I know your pain. I have a Gain in AZ for my winter riding and ended up buying Bianchi here in Canada. While I am enjoying the Bianchi I much prefer the Gain. The Gain is more comfortable, has di2 and was less money. I will seriously consider trading in the Bianchi when the Gains come to Canada. I am told for 2020 we will see them.

Sorry for the delay. I live in the Washington, DC area. I find the Gain D20 comfortable and have now ridden 400 Miles since late December. That is about half my total miles, the other has been on my Trek Domane SL6 disc. So far no troubles or complaints.
Hello AvgJoe, I live in the DC area and was wondering which dealer you got the bike? Also if you test ride it before buying. I cant find any dealers carrying it here.

Hi Bobak, I know you asked AvgJoe, but I just got a Gain F30 from Mike's Bike in California by mail. I live in Venice, Florida which is over 3k miles from them so I was worried it would be damaged in shipping, but it got here fairly quickly with free UPS ground (about 12 days) and was packaged very well - there was no damage whatsoever to either the box or bike. There are no local shops that sell it, so I had no other option. I haven't assembled it yet, waiting until the week of the 4th so I have the time to do it, but I inspected it and there was no shipping damage at all. I test rode a more expensive version while visiting Atlanta (great LBS but they would not ship) and loved it...but based on some other remarks on the forum keep in mind that this is not the same type of bike that most other ebikes are. I loved it because I wanted a light, quick-handling bike that would feel like a bike - the electric part of it is more of a very gentle assist that you only use occasionally - it is not going to be something you use to quickly get you from place to place with almost no effort. If you're buying mail order be absolutely sure that the dealer is an authorized Orbea dealer and that they are aware that the bike comes in a "restricted" mode which limits it's use to 50km and that prior to shipping it the dealer has to take it off restricted mode using the dealer app before sending it to you; otherwise you're going to end up with a non-usable bike.

Hi Bobak, I know you asked AvgJoe, but I just got a Gain F30 from Mike's Bike in California by mail. I live in Venice, Florida which is over 3k miles from them so I was worried it would be damaged in shipping, but it got here fairly quickly with free UPS ground (about 12 days) and was packaged very well - there was no damage whatsoever to either the box or bike. There are no local shops that sell it, so I had no other option. I haven't assembled it yet, waiting until the week of the 4th so I have the time to do it, but I inspected it and there was no shipping damage at all. I test rode a more expensive version while visiting Atlanta (great LBS but they would not ship) and loved it...but based on some other remarks on the forum keep in mind that this is not the same type of bike that most other ebikes are. I loved it because I wanted a light, quick-handling bike that would feel like a bike - the electric part of it is more of a very gentle assist that you only use occasionally - it is not going to be something you use to quickly get you from place to place with almost no effort. If you're buying mail order be absolutely sure that the dealer is an authorized Orbea dealer and that they are aware that the bike comes in a "restricted" mode which limits it's use to 50km and that prior to shipping it the dealer has to take it off restricted mode using the dealer app before sending it to you; otherwise you're going to end up with a non-usable bike.

All you say is true Sol, however If you are not very fit or have a disability or injury? Then the assist is going to be more noticeable and more used. It is as you rightly say, quick handling. I've had many " top end" bikes. Today had 63mph out of it dropping into a valley. Never being on a more stable machine and comfortable.

All you say is true Sol, however If you are not very fit or have a disability or injury? Then the assist is going to be more noticeable and more used. It is as you rightly say, quick handling. I've had many " top end" bikes. Today had 63mph out of it dropping into a valley. Never being on a more stable machine and comfortable.

You're absolutely right...and that's without mentioning the optional water bottle battery, but I've seen a few reviews from people who were upset because they expected a bike that was more Stromer or Juiced like. For someone who is buying mail order and never tested one I wanted to make sure they understood that ebikes seem to be splitting into different types - and the Orbea is in the camp of light-weight, possible to use without the ebike part camp. I think having these choices is wonderful and a good thing, but after reading a review where someone was sure that no one buying an ebike would want a bike with less power and a simple display...wait until Bobak finds out that there's no kickstand or pedals. :) I wish the site would review an Orbea so that more forum members could see if it's the right choice for them, but with the demand for these things I'm pretty sure Orbea would not be interested in paying for a review for bikes that they can barely keep in stock.

Thanks for the reply. I have a Felt road bike with 105 which I use it for my 27 mile commute everyday. It takes me 2x50 minutes and i feel exhausted at nights. To make the commute easier on my body I am interested in this bike. I also want it to be fun so i want a light road bike. I go through a few paved trails which i get an average 16-18 mph as it is shared path. Also at times i am sidewalks so i have to slow down. The evening commute is tough at 6pm with a steady climb most of my ride. Also i am one of the fast riders and enjoy the road bike seating position and agility. I probably can't get any faster than 20mph (average) mostly for safety reasons.

I tried the Raleigh Tamland ie and Trek Crossrip+ but felt like they produce too much unnecessary power and also they are bulky and heavy. There is no Orbea dealer in DC area that carries the bike. There are three places that said if i order they will assemble it for me but they said as the bike is expensive they don't have any.

Although it seems to be a good fit to what i need but i rather try the bike. I am not comfortable paying $4-5k for a bike that i won't love. I am traveling in August up north i am thinking of stopping at one of the dealers and trying the bike.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I have a Felt road bike with 105 which I use it for my 27 mile commute everyday. It takes me 2x50 minutes and i feel exhausted at nights. To make the commute easier on my body I am interested in this bike. I also want it to be fun so i want a light road bike. I go through a few paved trails which i get an average 16-18 mph as it is shared path. Also at times i am sidewalks so i have to slow down. The evening commute is tough at 6pm with a steady climb most of my ride. Also i am one of the fast riders and enjoy the road bike seating position and agility. I probably can't get any faster than 20mph (average) mostly for safety reasons.

I tried the Raleigh Tamland ie and Trek Crossrip+ but felt like they produce too much unnecessary power and also they are bulky and heavy. There is no Orbea dealer in DC area that carries the bike. There are three places that said if i order they will assemble it for me but they said as the bike is expensive they don't have any. They show up in dealers list on Orbea website. One strange thing is that when i tried the Orbea USA website and i added the bike to the cart it gave me an option to select the dealer to be used to assemble the bike and none of the three dealers are showing up but there is one that is 4 hours away in PA that shows up!

Although it seems to be a good fit to what i need but i rather try the bike. I am not comfortable paying $4-5k for a bike that i won't love. I am traveling in August up north i am thinking of stopping at one of the dealers and trying the bike.

Sound plan. Let's know your views?

You're absolutely right...and that's without mentioning the optional water bottle battery, but I've seen a few reviews from people who were upset because they expected a bike that was more Stromer or Juiced like. For someone who is buying mail order and never tested one I wanted to make sure they understood that ebikes seem to be splitting into different types - and the Orbea is in the camp of light-weight, possible to use without the ebike part camp. I think having these choices is wonderful and a good thing, but after reading a review where someone was sure that no one buying an ebike would want a bike with less power and a simple display...wait until Bobak finds out that there's no kickstand or pedals. :) I wish the site would review an Orbea so that more forum members could see if it's the right choice for them, but with the demand for these things I'm pretty sure Orbea would not be interested in paying for a review for bikes that they can barely keep in stock.

As usual Sol, you have hit the nail on the head.

I think the few light e-road bikes available right now is just the start of something big.
Right now none (my limited searching) of these bikes are available in Canada. The Gain is supposedly coming to Canada, but with the high worldwide demand and small Canadian market I doubt we'll see the bike before the 2020 model year, at the earliest.
I've heard rumors that both Specialized and Giant have a light e-road bike in the works, but no one has any idea when these bikes will come to market.

Deacon, it's too bad that iGo isn't doing anything that I can see with their M800 based road bike. As a Canadian company you would think they would be filling the gap up there ASAP to get ahead of the market? What little there is online about it that has been floating around since IBike 18' seems to point to the fact that it is light and the right amount of w/wh ratio that it could easily compete with what the other brands are doing. Oh well, their loss I suppose.

I think the few light e-road bikes available right now is just the start of something big.
Right now none (my limited searching) of these bikes are available in Canada. The Gain is supposedly coming to Canada, but with the high worldwide demand and small Canadian market I doubt we'll see the bike before the 2020 model year, at the earliest.
I've heard rumors that both Specialized and Giant have a light e-road bike in the works, but no one has any idea when these bikes will come to market.

This is what I heard that Specialized will introduce their 26-27 pound road e-bike in July. Not sure how Specialized have been with introducing new models but i am assuming its 2020 model that you can try and order. At least the dealer was suggesting I wait a month for it. One more thing about the price that it could be $8-9k or more.

I test rode the Cross-Rip+ yesterday just out of curiosity. It's a nice e-bike, fairly light an agile, with a very nice built in rack. Might be the closest thing to a Gain, though there is also the Trek Domane+ which I haven't tried. The Gain gives the illusion of not being on an ebike because the motor is so smooth, quiet, and unobtrusive. The Cross-Rip has the bosch motor which always lets you know it's there. The Cross-Rip is a real ebike in the sense it will transport you 20 miles without you breaking a sweat, whereas the Gain will make you work for it. I was impressed with the Cross-Rip and I'd say anyone looking for an ebike that feels close to a regular bike should give it serious consideration.

Any suggestions on size? I am 6'1"/185 and this would be my first road bike. Will buy the flat bar version for a short commute.

Hard to know how it should feel when testing.

Any suggestions on size? I am 6'1"/185 and this would be my first road bike. Will buy the flat bar version for a short commute.

Hard to know how it should feel when testing.

If everything feels at hand, not too cramped or faraway. You're in the parish.

Using the Orbea Gain size chart someone 6' 1" would fit a large

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 7.24.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 7.24.48 AM.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 541
Using the Orbea Gain size chart someone 6' 1" would fit a large
Using that chart at 6 ft I would be a large. I'm on a med. Depends where your length is. I have short legs ,long body. Use your existing bikes as a guide. Mine was a Specialized 56 cm. A large will be too big for mine.

Back