Orbea Gain E-Road Bike

Message came up on my Samsung 30 mins ago. Update was 3mg. Nothing at first veiwing is different, though it did open very quickly. Mine has been slow to open up recently.

So how do you get the Ebikemotion app update? I just opened the app and can't find any option to get update.
Play Store - my apps and games - updates (Android)
Message came up on my Samsung 30 mins ago. Update was 3mg. Nothing at first veiwing is different, though it did open very quickly. Mine has been slow to open up recently.
- mine was still very slow after the update.

Thank you
I e mailed them in April and they replied very promptly they hoped to have it available soon. They have apparently been saying this since mid way through last year. I had decided on the Gain D30 compared to the more expensive Fazua motor but am wondering if they are a reliable supplier.

Stats on today's bike ride on my Orbea Gain M20i -

39.68 mi
Distance

2:19:57
Time

17.0 mph
Avg Speed

1,453 ft
Elevation gain

20% battery remaining at end of the ride

That is 30% faster than my previous average speeds on my old bike and 33% further than my previous average distances. My average heart rate was 9% higher.

Stats on today's bike ride on my Orbea Gain M20i -

39.68 mi
Distance

2:19:57
Time

17.0 mph
Avg Speed

1,453 ft
Elevation gain

20% battery remaining at end of the ride

That is 30% faster than my previous average speeds on my old bike and 33% further than my previous average distances. My average heart rate was 9% higher.

Was the ride done all on level 1?

No, but I wish I was that fit. The ride was mostly in level 2, did not use level 3 at all ( I don't think?) I have level 2 set to 85% & level 1 at 75%.

You've more or less come to the same settings as I have, though I have yet to use levels 2-3. No high climbs around here in East Yorkshire, lots of short but steep hills. Nothing really longer than a mile or two, but a few are at 25% plus.

Greetings to this forum. Online testimonials to the Gain seem pretty scarce, so I thought I'd add mine here. I've had my F30 for about 10 days. So far, so great! It's a quality bike, works just as advertised, and fills an important niche in my commuting needs. In short, it's a brilliant concept well executed.

The Gain is my 3rd ebike. A couple years ago I got a cargo bike for taking my kids around. Encouraged by the success of that experiment, I sold my motorcycle and got a Stromer ST2 for commuting. My commute from Marin County to San Francisco is 16 miles each way with some moderate hills and usually some stiff headwinds. If I have enough time and don't need to carry much stuff, I'll use my roadbike, but those days are rare. usually I'm rushed for time and have more stuff than I want to put in a backpack. The Stromer makes quick work of the commute, but to me it feels more like a motor vehicle than a bicycle, and doesn't give me enough of a workout. Yes, you can drop the level of assist and exhaust yourself pedalling a 70 lb bike flat pedal bike, but there's not much fun in that. The Orbea Gain is meant to fill the gap between my road bike and the Stromer, and I figure I'll be using it for about half my commutes.

On 3 commutes so far, I generally keep it on Level 1, using Level 2 only for steeper hills or big headwinds. I've been finishing the 34 mile roundtrip with about 35% charge remaining. The motor assist feels just right for my particular commute because it allows me to keep my speed up on those parts where I might otherwise slow down to crawl. The rest of the time, on Level 1, it feels like I'm getting just enough boost to offset my cargo load and the slightly heavy bike. In other words, it's just enough assist to cancel out the major obstacles to a speedy and fun commute.

I think the F30 works great as a package. The larger tires smooth out the ride enough that I don't wish for suspension or a carbon frame. The seat, handlebars, and rider's triangle are comfortable. So far I can't find anything not to like about it. I guess I'm fortunate in that my commute is well-matched to the bike's range. In colder winter temperatures, I'd anticipate the round trip would leave me with about 15-20% charge to spare.

Greetings to this forum. Online testimonials to the Gain seem pretty scarce, so I thought I'd add mine here. I've had my F30 for about 10 days. So far, so great! It's a quality bike, works just as advertised, and fills an important niche in my commuting needs. In short, it's a brilliant concept well executed.

The Gain is my 3rd ebike. A couple years ago I got a cargo bike for taking my kids around. Encouraged by the success of that experiment, I sold my motorcycle and got a Stromer ST2 for commuting. My commute from Marin County to San Francisco is 16 miles each way with some moderate hills and usually some stiff headwinds. If I have enough time and don't need to carry much stuff, I'll use my roadbike, but those days are rare. usually I'm rushed for time and have more stuff than I want to put in a backpack. The Stromer makes quick work of the commute, but to me it feels more like a motor vehicle than a bicycle, and doesn't give me enough of a workout. Yes, you can drop the level of assist and exhaust yourself pedalling a 70 lb bike flat pedal bike, but there's not much fun in that. The Orbea Gain is meant to fill the gap between my road bike and the Stromer, and I figure I'll be using it for about half my commutes.

On 3 commutes so far, I generally keep it on Level 1, using Level 2 only for steeper hills or big headwinds. I've been finishing the 34 mile roundtrip with about 35% charge remaining. The motor assist feels just right for my particular commute because it allows me to keep my speed up on those parts where I might otherwise slow down to crawl. The rest of the time, on Level 1, it feels like I'm getting just enough boost to offset my cargo load and the slightly heavy bike. In other words, it's just enough assist to cancel out the major obstacles to a speedy and fun commute.

I think the F30 works great as a package. The larger tires smooth out the ride enough that I don't wish for suspension or a carbon frame. The seat, handlebars, and rider's triangle are comfortable. So far I can't find anything not to like about it. I guess I'm fortunate in that my commute is well-matched to the bike's range. In colder winter temperatures, I'd anticipate the round trip would leave me with about 15-20% charge to spare.

Hi and welcome Adan, good to read your contribution. Are you using the Emotion app, if so how do you find it?

I haven't even looked into the app yet. My statement that I finish with 35% charge is just an estimate based on when I notice the color switch from green to orange.

I haven't even looked into the app yet. My statement that I finish with 35% charge is just an estimate based on when I notice the color switch from green to orange.

Well sounds as though you're getting decent mileage for ya commute. I've been doing a little experimenting, with cadence. It would appear that a lower cadence (higher gearing) uses less juice? And the motor definitely has a sweet spot around 75/80rpm. Let's know as you put the miles on, how you're finding the bike?

34 miles = 54 km. So 54 km, 65% charge used. That would give you a range of roughly 84 km to a full charge. That is pretty much my experience with my Gain D20 (2018 Tiagra) over the first 1000+ miles on the bike. 8 km to 10% of charge, so for me, approximately 80km/50 miles range. Using level 1 for the majority of the time, 2 and 3 as necessary. Mixed terrain, undulating rather than hilly.

Orbea D40 Electric Bike Impressions

Today I tried the Orbea D40 e-bike. I have been looking at e bikes because I am now 70, (female) older and way slower. I was never a top notch rider and am in my club’s slower rider groups that does anywhere from 30 to 45 miles at a time. Occasionally, when I am in shape and have ridden a lot, I do metric centuries, which I find fun. But I don’t want to ride 3 or 4 days a week to try to be able to ride faster and longer courses.

After looking at heavier and beefier pedal assist e-bikes, I found they were all too heavy for me to lift and put on my shelf-type bike rack by myself. That rules them out. Plus the pedal assist was over powering but great on the hills. The Giant E pedal assist e bike I tried was more like riding a small motor scooter.

Enter the new light weight e-bikes put out my Orbea, Bianchi, Wilier and others. Most of them are using the ebikemotion X35 250 watt battery in the rear hub. It is a true pedal assist bike.

The on/off switch and levels are on the top frame bar. But the button needs some time to get used to as you have to be in blinking mode to go up or down a level which means pushing the buttons a lot. Plus you have to look down at it, which is a bit distracting. I would have preferred the button to be on the handle bars. Plus I found combining the levels with the gears also takes some time to get used to and figure out what is best at what gear.

The lowest level, green was surprisingly robust and a bit overpowering on the flats. On the flats I really didn’t need it, but on small hills it was fine. The orange level I struggled to find the right place and gears. This will take more work for me.

But for me and my level, I found the red/highest level a bit underwhelming. Yes, it revved up, but on the 16% short hill I tried it on, I had to make sure that a) I had already switched to red, and b) I was still in my lowest gear. This took time and practice in coordinating the buttons and shifting. It worked well to about half way up, and then I was working very hard to make it to the top, and it was not a very long hill. Great for in-shape riders, looking for just a little pedal assist, but surprisingly challenging for an out-of-shape, lower end rider. I made it up the hill two out of three times, but on one try, didn’t switch to red and low gear fast enough and the motor basically stopped, the extra weight showed up, and I had to get off the bike and push it the rest of the way up the hill. A bit discouraging.

I didn’t have the opportunity to try it on rolling hills, but I think I would like it. So yes, I will now be able to stay up with the faster riders in my C (lower) class, but I would not be able to take on sustained hills with higher riders. For example, at my level, and on my Specialized Ruby with extra gears, I would not be able to go up Page Mill Road in Palo Alto up to Skyline, a fairly steep hill. Even with the Orbea at red, I doubt I could do it. In other words, the bike would be good for my level and my class, and I probably be able to keep up with higher levels on the flats, but definitely not higher end riders on long climbs. But I might try it.
Handling wise, it is an interesting bike. Light on the front end and heavier on the back. It is a compromise between my road bike and a heavier e-bike and you have to be prepared that you need to compensate on turns and a bit downhill. I did think it was a bit slower downhill, and those that regularly bomb downhills, will probably feel somewhat of a difference.

Overall, I liked the bike, but it isn’t going to allow me to ride with A and B riders who do lots of hills. The handling is a compromise and that is OK with me. What I would have preferred is a bike with a bit more assist and push up steep hills.

Also, the industry seems to be on the cusp with light weight bikes. I believe in the next few years we will see the development of lighter and more powerful motors that will help people like me. Since the Orbea has the largest range of lightweight bikes right now, I will probably go with a lower to medium end bike and then see how the industry has changed and progressed in the next few years, then change up. I am sure that we will see more companies offering more lightweight and maybe medium weight options in the future.

Thank you so much for the review. Recently I came across these Orbea ebikes on Trek Super Store (I am on their mailing list) and they have some kind of sale on. The concept looked rather intriguing and I did some google search and ended here.

After reading a few comments, I guess I am way too weak for this bike. Like you, I usually do the same thing which is to start at home and then go up Pagemill and down W Alpine. I then go all the way to the coast and loop back home. This is about 75 miles with 7500 ft total climb. My current Giant Road E+ handles this pretty well. However, like you guys say, the bike is somewhat ungainly and heavy - nothing sleek like the Orbea.

Hello everyone. I just ordered an M20i LTD, supposed to receive it in 3 weeks or so. There wasn’t a dealer who had one on the showroom floor within 500 miles so I purchased without a test ride. Only done this once before and still have the bike after 7 years so hoping I have another good experience.

I’m 38, was an avid cyclist/racer for many years before breaking both of my feet in a fall and going through surgeries and recoveries the past 4 years. Have been shopping for e-bikes for a couple months, test rode a lot of the class 3 bikes popular here in the US but to varying degrees they didn’t quite feel like a “real” road bike. I think with the Gain I’ve landed on just what I want. I look forward to sharing my experience with you all, seems to be a great bike!

Can anyone who has ridden one describe the geometry? It is advertised as being more on the endurance side, but the stack looks extremely low. The stack and reach is close to many racing aero bikes, so I am a little concerned.

Hello everyone. I just ordered an M20i LTD, supposed to receive it in 3 weeks or so. There wasn’t a dealer who had one on the showroom floor within 500 miles so I purchased without a test ride. Only done this once before and still have the bike after 7 years so hoping I have another good experience.

I’m 38, was an avid cyclist/racer for many years before breaking both of my feet in a fall and going through surgeries and recoveries the past 4 years. Have been shopping for e-bikes for a couple months, test rode a lot of the class 3 bikes popular here in the US but to varying degrees they didn’t quite feel like a “real” road bike. I think with the Gain I’ve landed on just what I want. I look forward to sharing my experience with you all, seems to be a great bike!

Can anyone who has ridden one describe the geometry? It is advertised as being more on the endurance side, but the stack looks extremely low. The stack and reach is close to many racing aero bikes, so I am a little concerned.

You've made a great choice, you won't be disappointed. I ride a 54cm (medium) normally I should be on a 56cm but I like a smaller frame. Yes it is more endurance geometry and yes the head tube is slightly less in height than my Trek Domane, but one extra spacer sorts that out. With a 120mm stem and compact bars, I don't notice any difference. The carbon frame is very comfortable and responsive. You don't notice the extra weight doing 18/20mph under your own steam. It rides over surfaces almost as well as the Trek (which has to be the best around) with it's Iso coupling. I like mine so much, I'm getting an alloy frame version for winter riding (carbon frame does not have much hard fittings) I wouldn't be good concerned?

You've made a great choice, you won't be disappointed. I ride a 54cm (medium) normally I should be on a 56cm but I like a smaller frame. Yes it is more endurance geometry and yes the head tube is slightly less in height than my Trek Domane, but one extra spacer sorts that out. With a 120mm stem and compact bars, I don't notice any difference. The carbon frame is very comfortable and responsive. You don't notice the extra weight doing 18/20mph under your own steam. It rides over surfaces almost as well as the Trek (which has to be the best around) with it's Iso coupling. I like mine so much, I'm getting an alloy frame version for winter riding (carbon frame does not have much hard fittings) I wouldn't be good concerned?
Thanks for the feedback! From video reviews it certainly doesn't appear like an aggressive fit seeing people ride it, but the geometry is hard for me to interpret (stack and reach are very similar to a Speciliazed Venge which is a completely different bike). I think I'm just missing something. I have ridden both a 56 and 58 Domane and felt either could work, I felt very much in between the two. I ordered the a Large in the Gain, the Medium seemed like a big step down. That's good to hear it is similar in compliance to the Domane. I was actually torn between the Domane+ or Gain, but ultimately decided I didn't want a Class 3 bike. The allow frame will definitely make a nice winter bike. I read the allow geometry is slightly more endurance focused than the carbon.

Back