Orbea Gain E-Road Bike

Hi all, does anyone know the weight difference between the carbon and alloy Gain bikes? I'm looking at either the M30 or D30 but don't know if it's worth spending an extra $1000 for a couple pounds or less. The components are better on the M30 but I'm just getting back into biking after years off with family and career so probably they would all seem great.
Here's the issue, I tested the Vado 3 which was a fine bike but at times I needed assist when on any slight incline or head wind so I'm hoping to have a bike which rides like a bike but gives me that extra push up a hill or help me after a long ride
Most websites have varying weights or only weight for the best model. Unfortunately the Orbea website doesn't have any weights and I don't live anywhere near dealer so I'm trying to get as much info as possible before taking the plunge. Can't wait either way

Thanks for the feedback! From video reviews it certainly doesn't appear like an aggressive fit seeing people ride it, but the geometry is hard for me to interpret (stack and reach are very similar to a Speciliazed Venge which is a completely different bike). I think I'm just missing something. I have ridden both a 56 and 58 Domane and felt either could work, I felt very much in between the two. I ordered the a Large in the Gain, the Medium seemed like a big step down. That's good to hear it is similar in compliance to the Domane. I was actually torn between the Domane+ or Gain, but ultimately decided I didn't want a Class 3 bike. The allow frame will definitely make a nice winter bike. I read the allow geometry is slightly more endurance focused than the carbon.

Think you will find the "D" series, is a little more upright than the carbon frame. I reguarly get 120+ miles to one charge because I can ride above cut off point. Don't think I could have done that with the Domane. It really does ride like a regular bike, and I have a Storck and Basso to compare with, now both lying dormant under my snooker table. LBS, who is both Trek and Obrea dealer (for many years) was saying how Obrea has stolen a march over Trek with the Gain. Sold one Trek, compared to over 15 Gains.

Hi all, does anyone know the weight difference between the carbon and alloy Gain bikes? I'm looking at either the M30 or D30 but don't know if it's worth spending an extra $1000 for a couple pounds or less. The components are better on the M30 but I'm just getting back into biking after years off with family and career so probably they would all seem great.
Here's the issue, I tested the Vado 3 which was a fine bike but at times I needed assist when on any slight incline or head wind so I'm hoping to have a bike which rides like a bike but gives me that extra push up a hill or help me after a long ride
Most websites have varying weights or only weight for the best model. Unfortunately the Orbea website doesn't have any weights and I don't live anywhere near dealer so I'm trying to get as much info as possible before taking the plunge. Can't wait either way

Hi Energy, you will find the carbon model is over 2 kilos lighter (4.5lbs) however it's not just about weight. The carbon version for me is a much more forgiving ride. The alloy frame D is slightly harsher, also the carbon frame has a more relaxed geometry. BUT you can't get a set of mudguards on the M frame. So if you're gonna ride all year? You may want to consider the alloy frame? One things for sure? Both versions ride like regular bikes, on flat and rolling roads. Not a lot heavier than my 60's Bob Jackson 531c bike, I raced on.

Hi Energy, my size S Gain D30 (2018 Tiagra, now D40) weighed 14.31Kg, as delivered without pedals and with heavier wheels and tyres than the current version. So I would think the 2019 D30 105 version would be under 14kg.

Hi Energy, you will find the carbon model is over 2 kilos lighter (4.5lbs) however it's not just about weight. The carbon version for me is a much more forgiving ride. The alloy frame D is slightly harsher, also the carbon frame has a more relaxed geometry. BUT you can't get a set of mudguards on the M frame. So if you're gonna ride all year? You may want to consider the alloy frame? One things for sure? Both versions ride like regular bikes, on flat and rolling roads. Not a lot heavier than my 60's Bob Jackson 531c bike, I raced on.
Thank you, comments really helpful. Good point about mud guards but I can get around that. Can't get around the 2 kilos though and the more forgiving frame. I currently have an older trek which weighs in at 23pds and I know where I'm starting to struggle up hills so getting a bike with similar weight (4 more pds approx) seems like a good starting point.
Looks like the M30

Thank you, comments really helpful. Good point about mud guards but I can get around that. Can't get around the 2 kilos though and the more forgiving frame. I currently have an older trek which weighs in at 23pds and I know where I'm starting to struggle up hills so getting a bike with similar weight (4 more pds approx) seems like a good starting point.
Looks like the M30

Happy to be of help. You wanna know, just ask. If I have the info happy to share. Be prepared to change saddle though? One provided for me at least, bloody awful. I got mine through Obrea Myo site. Had bespoke alterations at no extra cost. I.e. paint finish, Obrea and Gain transfers in different finish, also had name on top tube added. Went with different cassette ratio, wider bars and longer stem also 25mm tyres. Finally LBS who ordered for me, also gave me discount of £340.

Happy to be of help. You wanna know, just ask. If I have the info happy to share. Be prepared to change saddle though? One provided for me at least, bloody awful. I got mine through Obrea Myo site. Had bespoke alterations at no extra cost. I.e. paint finish, Obrea and Gain transfers in different finish, also had name on top tube added. Went with different cassette ratio, wider bars and longer stem also 25mm tyres. Finally LBS who ordered for me, also gave me discount of £340.
Very nice! I was disappointed to learn that I can't order the Gain through Myo in the USA. However, my dealer gave me 9% off the bike and 20% off any accessories installed free so very happy with that! So far only included Shimano pedals to try since I've always used Look and fancied the new Shimano. Probably should consider a saddle too if they carry mine!

Very nice! I was disappointed to learn that I can't order the Gain through Myo in the USA. However, my dealer gave me 9% off the bike and 20% off any accessories installed free so very happy with that! So far only included Shimano pedals to try since I've always used Look and fancied the new Shimano. Probably should consider a saddle too if they carry mine!

Have a look at Time Xpresso pedals also. Superb, very light but have more movement for ankle and knee, when compared to Look system. Been using Time since 80's never had any knee issues. Sounds like you have a decent LBS there? I know people who have been refused any discount on the Obrea because of it's so called difficulty to supply. Load of bollacks. My LBS, have 10 in stock and two for demo. Getting the alloy demo of him in October. Unless of course 2020 model shows big improvements?

Dear all
I've got an Orbea Gain D30 with shimano 105 group i'm interested to install an Ultra DI2 disc group , did anyone make this change
thank's for your answer

Dear all
I've got an Orbea Gain D30 with shimano 105 group i'm interested to install an Ultra DI2 disc group , did anyone make this change
thank's for your answer
My LBS converted a M20 to M20i before I purchased it. They did a cleaner install than Orbea does. The A junction was put into the bar end rather than hanging under the stem. They also installed the wireless blue tooth connector that lets me control my Garmin from from the top buttons on the shifters. I found the M20 in stock at the shop and was having trouble getting delivery on a new M20i so this worked out great for me. This is my first experience with Di2 and I really like it.

My LBS converted a M20 to M20i before I purchased it. They did a cleaner install than Orbea does. The A junction was put into the bar end rather than hanging under the stem. They also installed the wireless blue tooth connector that lets me control my Garmin from from the top buttons on the shifters. I found the M20 in stock at the shop and was having trouble getting delivery on a new M20i so this worked out great for me. This is my first experience with Di2 and I really like it.

You have done exactly the same as me. I also included handlebar shifters for the rear gear only. Yes, system is tidier than Obrea M20i I like the bar end plug in particular.

My conversion ran around $1K. LBS gave me full credit for the parts taken off and only charged me the list price for the parts added & no labor charge.

Well that's consistent then. Dollar to Pound, we both paid out about the same. Now I have my Trek Domane to do the same too.

Well that's consistent then. Dollar to Pound, we both paid out about the same. Now I have my Trek Domane to do the same too.
I thought $1K was equal to about 775 Pounds? So the 1,100 Pounds you paid would equal around $1.425 compared to the $1K I paid.

I thought $1K was equal to about 775 Pounds? So the 1,100 Pounds you paid would equal around $1.425 compared to the $1K I paid.

Yes, I also got a credit against the Ultegra they took off, had used it for couple of hundred miles, while waiting for Di2 to arrive. Did you know, there is a shortage? Sometime ago a container fell of a ship near France. Full of Shimano parts. They have been playing catch-up since. That's why an order is longer on M20i, I was quoted another 2 months over M20.

Yes, I also got a credit against the Ultegra they took off, had used it for couple of hundred miles, while waiting for Di2 to arrive. Did you know, there is a shortage? Sometime ago a container fell of a ship near France. Full of Shimano parts. They have been playing catch-up since. That's why an order is longer on M20i, I was quoted another 2 months over M20.
Interesting re shortage of Di2 I did not know about that, my LBS had no trouble getting the parts. I had a M20i on order for 3 months and they could not tell me when I would receive it. So I cancelled and bought the M20 and had it converted.

Interesting re shortage of Di2 I did not know about that, my LBS had no trouble getting the parts. I had a M20i on order for 3 months and they could not tell me when I would receive it. So I cancelled and bought the M20 and had it converted.

Just rang a friend who is LBS shop manager. He says? Happened in Bay of Biscay. A number of containers fell overboard during heavy storm. Shimano lost more then one container. Ship was heading to Europort (Rotterdam) Priority since with bike suppliers has been on providing Di2 specced bikes, rather than wholesalers getting stand-a-lone groupsets to sell.

Interesting about the di2. My dealer told me he showed them available shipping between 5-18 and 5/21. He said the model comes directly from Spain and he gets them in 48 hours.

Back