Orbea Gain E-Road Bike

Can't you ground ship your bike via UPS from Arizona? I know people that have done tours in the US ship their bikes that way rather than check them as luggage on the plane, which was more expensive. I think ground shipping of Li-ion batteries by ground is Okay. Not sure if the rules have changed but you can check with UPS or FedEx. I don't think USPS allows It, not sure about that either.
Mike., I have checked out re shipping. Because of the lithium battery bike has to be packed by a hazmat certified person of which I have unable to find in Phoenix. In addition to that I would have pay another 18% + in taxes and duties. This would add about another $1800 CDN to the cost.

I test rode an Orbea Gain today. I rode both the classic road version and the gravel grinder All Road model. Both were bottom of the line bikes, but with the same motor and battery as the higher level models. They are all disappointingly limited to 20 mph. The local dealer was only allocated these two bikes.

Both bikes are exceedingly stealthy and sexy. It is impossible to tell they are ebikes other than the small illuminated control button on the top tube. It is the only control on the bike—a fatal shortcoming. More on that later. The motor is in the rear hub, which is discreet. There are no visible wires. The pleasing aesthetics are undeniable. The 250Wh battery is hidden away in the small down tube. On appearance alone these are sleek, standard road bikes.

The aluminum road model was fully charged but unfortunately the motor didn’t work. I rode it around the block, then the dealer took it out. It powered up, changed power levels, but never engaged the motor. Apparently it worked the day before.

The All Road model was outfitted with an off-road 1x crank and knobby tires. The motor worked. It is agile, lightweight at ~25 lbs, and fun to ride as far as it goes. Both come in aluminum and carbon fiber versions.

The problem starts with changing power levels. It reminds me of the original Specialized Turbo Levo eMTB. The power level button was located out of sight on the side of the down tube—dangerously requiring one hand off the handlebars to blindly change levels. Who would design that into a mountain bike?

Orbea takes reckless to the next level. On the Gain you change the power level by briefly pressing the top tube button, waiting for it to blink, then within two seconds pressing it again. So one hand off the handlebars and both eyes off the road.

This cycles through low, medium, and high one at a time. To go from high back to medium, say after cresting a hill, you repeat this process three times. From high mode you take one hand off the handlebars, both eyes off the road, press the button, watch to see if it is blinking, then press again to turn the motor off. That’s right, off follows high. You’ve just turned the motor off. Now repeat the process twice more to move from off to low and from low to medium. I found this completely unworkable and dangerous, having to look down at the top tube with one hand off the handlebar keying in an obscure sequence of push button Morse code.

Aside from the terrible user interface, the bike was underpowered. Orbea markets the bike for those who want to feel the road, essentially making a feature out of the lack of power. Does anyone buy an ebike and not want to feel the power? Maybe. No one I know. I found the Orbea Gain slow off the line, plodding on hills, and feeling lively only in a small cadence/speed sweet spot.

I’m not sure who will be happy with the Gain. Experienced ebikers demand safe, informative controls along with power which the Gain just does not deliver. Aging roadies with creaky knees will need usable power, not just stealth for their egos.

The Orbea Gain is a self-loathing e-road bike v1.0. It is the victim of roadie navel gazing, deep philosophizing about stealth, fretting over the 28 mph speed limit, and justifying low power by purporting to put “you” into the ebike. In reality the Gain’s frustrating design won’t please anyone looking for a fun way to combine the freedom of ebike speed, range, and acceleration with a light weight and agile road bike. Roadie bike manufacturers need to get over themselves and uncork a full fledged e-road bike that isn’t ashamed of its genetics. Specialized did it with the Turbo Levo v2. I went to the bike shop today to buy an Orbea Gain. Instead I’ll wait for v2.

I finally got to test drive and aluminum AllRoad this past Sunday. The bike rode beautifully and was quick even with the motor turned off. The bike looked great, too! Now to the not so good.

As Over50 said, the interface is almost unsafe. There are three power levels and off. You start at green (eco) and then to move up you double press on the button and watch it change to orange. This takes a few seconds, but based on the color, you are not entirely certain of you are in orange or red. I doble pressed again to find out I was moving from orange to red (full power). Due to the location of the interface, you are not looking at the road as you are doing this! Sometimes it moved up, sometimes it didn't. Not always reliable. I also had the same experience going from red back to green or orange. You have to cycle to off, start it again, then either stay in green or power up again to get to orange. That takes way too long, and again, you are not really watching where you are going.

I weigh 260 pounds. The bike was almost fully charged. It had the standard gravel tires and I rode 2 miles on road and 11 miles on a rail trail that was 60% gravel and 40% paved. At the end of the ride the indicator showed orange which means I had expired almost 1/2 of the battery - for 13 miles! Other than two steep bridge climbs of about 50 feet of altitude gain, it was typical rail trail (max 4% grade). I rode exclusively in orange (mid-level support) as a test. So, on mixed surface with no big hills for someone my size, I would be out of battery at 26 - 30 miles. If I did real road riding - 40 - 50 miles with 1,800 feet of altitude gain, i would be on my own for much of the ride if I stayed in orange. In green the results would be better, but I would still use red on the big climbs.

There is a spare battery that looks like a water bottle, which the dealer says is coming (has been for a year). Without it, I would not rely on this bike. The website fo rth emotor manufacturer shows a neat, color dispay available and a two button assist changer (like all ebikes have) but the dealer says he hasn't seen either and has no idea on timeframe.

I loved the bike and the motor assist. It is much lighter than a mid-drive setup. But, without the spare battery, display and assist buttons, I don't see it as viable for me. Any other thoughts?

I finally got to test drive and aluminum AllRoad this past Sunday. The bike rode beautifully and was quick even with the motor turned off. The bike looked great, too! Now to the not so good.

As Over50 said, the interface is almost unsafe. There are three power levels and off. You start at green (eco) and then to move up you double press on the button and watch it change to orange. This takes a few seconds, but based on the color, you are not entirely certain of you are in orange or red. I doble pressed again to find out I was moving from orange to red (full power). Due to the location of the interface, you are not looking at the road as you are doing this! Sometimes it moved up, sometimes it didn't. Not always reliable. I also had the same experience going from red back to green or orange. You have to cycle to off, start it again, then either stay in green or power up again to get to orange. That takes way too long, and again, you are not really watching where you are going.

I weigh 260 pounds. The bike was almost fully charged. It had the standard gravel tires and I rode 2 miles on road and 11 miles on a rail trail that was 60% gravel and 40% paved. At the end of the ride the indicator showed orange which means I had expired almost 1/2 of the battery - for 13 miles! Other than two steep bridge climbs of about 50 feet of altitude gain, it was typical rail trail (max 4% grade). I rode exclusively in orange (mid-level support) as a test. So, on mixed surface with no big hills for someone my size, I would be out of battery at 26 - 30 miles. If I did real road riding - 40 - 50 miles with 1,800 feet of altitude gain, i would be on my own for much of the ride if I stayed in orange. In green the results would be better, but I would still use red on the big climbs.

There is a spare battery that looks like a water bottle, which the dealer says is coming (has been for a year). Without it, I would not rely on this bike. The website fo rth emotor manufacturer shows a neat, color dispay available and a two button assist changer (like all ebikes have) but the dealer says he hasn't seen either and has no idea on timeframe.

I loved the bike and the motor assist. It is much lighter than a mid-drive setup. But, without the spare battery, display and assist buttons, I don't see it as viable for me. Any other thoughts?
Like I've said in other postings, once you learn/get used to the one button, it's just fine. One push to get it out of the power indicator mode and another push to move up a level, etc. I can even use it by feel. If you mount your phone on the stem or bar, you can use the app to see what mode you are in. If you had a handlebar button, you'd have to take one hand off the bar and your eyes off the road to use it as well.

Like I've said in other postings, once you learn/get used to the one button, it's just fine. One push to get it out of the power indicator mode and another push to move up a level, etc. I can even use it by feel. If you mount your phone on the stem or bar, you can use the app to see what mode you are in. If you had a handlebar button, you'd have to take one hand off the bar and your eyes off the road to use it as well.
Mike, my expirience is the same as yours. No need for extra buttons or gages adding extra weight and distraction on the handle bars. I dont even use the app. My garmin is all I need. I have a pretty good idea how much battery life I have left by my tracking in my head how many kms I have used any assist for.

I really think those who are uncomfortable are those who are test driving and wondering whats happening and what level of assist they are in. This is understandable but after the first ride one tell by the ride and a quick glance at the color buton on cross bar. Its as intuitive as changing gears. Frankly, I feel reaching for my water bottle is more scary. As someone who has 1000 km + ridden on my Gain, my advice to anyone considering the Gain or any of the other ebike motion motor bikes, dont judge it after a short test drive.

I don't find the more button, anymore distracting or dangerous, then say, looking down to see what gear you are in?

What! ? I have handlebar buttons on both of my ebikes and I don’t need to move my hand at all. I just click it with my thumb. Same philosophy as brakes and shifting, hands on the handlebars, eyes on the road, at all times. While there are variations, the ubiquitous thumb button is industry standard.
If you're uncomfortable taking one hand off the bar, you need to up your cycling skill level. Seriously. How do you take a drink from a bottle? Ever use downtube shifters (OK that's a bit dated). You also need to look at what's going on behind you when riding on the road. I use a mirror but lots of people turn their head. If you don't before you make a left hand turn, you'll end up as road pizza. You need to be aware what's going on around and behind you as well as in front of you.

Was in LBS today getting my Gain serviced. We where talking about future development for the Gain from Obrea and Emotion. I brought up the subject of this thread. Doug, pulled down a flat bar version of the Gain "There ya go" he said. Tellingly, there it was? A discreet satellite remote, with "Up n Down" button's for the power level output. Also had the button still on the top tube.

Was in LBS today getting my Gain serviced. We where talking about future development for the Gain from Obrea and Emotion. I brought up the subject of this thread. Doug, pulled down a flat bar version of the Gain "There ya go" he said. Tellingly, there it was? A discreet satellite remote, with "Up n Down" button's for the power level output. Also had the button still on the top tube.
Jax is right: I was surprised to see the remote controller on the flatbar Gain F30 at my lbs. The controller also includes the level light indicators, and (I believe) allows up and down shifting without having to rotate through the levels. Can’t find any pictures of it — I’ll take pictures the next time I visit the lbs.

George

Jax is right: I was surprised to see the remote controller on the flatbar Gain F30 at my lbs. The controller also includes the level light indicators, and (I believe) allows up and down shifting without having to rotate through the levels. Can’t find any pictures of it — I’ll take pictures the next time I visit the lbs.

George

You're correct George, up n down shifting (2 very small buttons) believe they have tiny LED's to indicate operation. Should have taken pic. Doooh.

You’re changing the subject and launching an ad hominem attack. I merely pointed out that the thumb button is an industry standard. Generally no need to take your hand off the handlebars.

Please be civil in these forums. Even ignoring simple personal preference, not everyone can “up their cycling skills.” Some ebike riders have medical issues: muscle weakness, balance issues, palsy, age related problems. “Up your cycling skill” is a insensitive and facile remark.
I'm just pointing out where I think you're wrong, criticizing the Gain where it's unfounded. You make it sound like all bikes have thumb buttons too, which is wrong as well. Removing a hand from the bar and looking around is not dangerous, if you careful and know what you're doing. The one button is not dangerous. I admit it there may be better implementations. We're not all clueless newbies on this forum. I've been cycling for a long time.

Last edited:
Not to belabour the point about the interface on the Gains, yes a lot (most ebikes) do have extra controllers, shifters etc. but I still stress I think Orbea and more likely ebikemotion got it right on the Gains especially the roadbike versions. My Giant Road E bike has what everybody is referring to and frankly it's a pain in the ass and confusing. My handle bars are covered with the bike computer/assist controller, a bell(required by law in the city I live), my front blinky, and my garmin along with the shimano shifters. I think from a safety point of view riding a road bike with all of this, especially in a group there is too much going on. I enjoy the simplicity of the Gains. Interestingly enough, Bianchi, Pinerello and just this week Colnago all use the same system. I would suggest that ebikemotion designed it this way as a way to limit weight.

You're correct George, up n down shifting (2 very small buttons) believe they have tiny LED's to indicate operation. Should have taken pic. Doooh.
Here’s a picture Jaxx and I didn’t have when we first noted that the Gain F30 includes a flatbar mounted controller. The central on/off switch (with status indicating leds on either side) is elevated, which provides good tactile reference to the up/down buttons above and below. I haven’t had a chance to ride this bike yet, but the controller appears ergonomically well thought out, if aesthetically not as lovely as just the button on the top tube.

George

Attachments

• C27844DE-0308-4531-8421-F07B661DCD0B.jpeg
    C27844DE-0308-4531-8421-F07B661DCD0B.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 960
We all wish we did. I have messaged ebikemotion several times and have not received a response.
I call them today , the response : we have a technical problem may be at the beginning of summer the additional battery will be available
for your information contact them by mail never received answer
The additional chinese battery 250wht exist but the connector is not the same like ORBEA.....

I call them today , the response : we have a technical problem may be at the beginning of summer the additional battery will be available
for your information contact them by mail never received answer
The additional chinese battery 250wht exist but the connector is not the same like ORBEA.....
Thank you

Back